What can I use to clean my cam and rocker arm assembly? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
gonzo

Default What can I use to clean my cam and rocker arm assembly?

What can I use to clean the brown cooked on residue off my cam and rocker arm assembly? You know, this shit

I have all kinds of cleaners, but I'm not sure if I should take it apart and use a toothbrush, or just spray it on and let it soak and wipe it off. I'm assuming carb cleaner isn't the best, but I have some induction cleaner and some foaming emission system cleaner. Just wondering what you guys have used in the past?
burnoutboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
gonzo

Location: Puyallup, Washington.. But So Cal born&Raised and in my Heart
SOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the sky

You can try oven cleaner... But you may have to have it hot tanked... Let the oven cleaner set for a couple hours and then scrub it with a brush.. If it doesnt come off then just have it hot tanked....
SOHCinWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 03:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
gonzo

Is it worth the trouble to clean it or will it just make it look prettier for a little while?
Old 08-27-2007, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
gonzo

SOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the sky

I have a few rocker assemblies that look like that. And I have another one that is golden. Almost looks like its anodized gold... Just from not changing oil oil as often as you probablyshould. Try cleaning it. Although it wont hurt if you dont.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 436 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

switch to a synthetic oil and it wont build up so much

Delta Cam, best bang for your buck!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../made_Ryan.png
ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 04:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
gonzo

I use ONLY Redline, this is all from the guy who had it before me, the engine had 90,000 on it when it was swapped into the car.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:03 PM   #7 (permalink)
gonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoutboy View Post
I use ONLY Redline, this is all from the guy who had it before me, the engine had 90,000 on it when it was swapped into the car.
90k and it looks like that??? Damn!! I bet he rarely did oil changes then.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
gonzo

Who knows he did so many fucked up things during this swap I've been finding and fixing them since I got it. I'm surprised it runs so well. It's prob just because it's a honda.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHCinWA View Post
90k and it looks like that??? Damn!! I bet he rarely did oil changes then.

The rockers in my 180k mile Accord looks better.
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu16193153
K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
R2.....Zap Balls

Rep Power: 32 vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

that's not good. Here's what mine looked like at 191,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
And if it was up to me I'd have Mods ride his unicycle out and kick every single one of these dumbasses in the nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyHabitzCRX View Post
congrats to Mr and Mz Duck! now just keep her safe from the 3 'b's
boys, beer, and b-series.

http://www.go-autoworks.com

Do I miss the civic? Not really the car as much as the power it had
1993 E36 civic replacement work in progress:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...-1993-e36.html
vtecduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 DIY1SOHC6KID smells like BoratDIY1SOHC6KID smells like BoratDIY1SOHC6KID smells like BoratDIY1SOHC6KID smells like BoratDIY1SOHC6KID smells like Borat

parts cleaner and a wire brush, i did it not to long ago before i started a friends head. came out lookin new
DIY1SOHC6KID is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

Rep Power: 77 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

you guys REALLY need to change your oil more often and use Exxon Superflo 5w30

really now........

oh yeah.....this stuff is nasty......but it cleans everything, might even cure STD's

http://www.berrymanproducts.com/Default.aspx?tabid=146

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Quote:
Anyplace , Anywhere , Anytime

Last edited by transzex; 08-27-2007 at 06:51 PM.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 07:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 14 shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!
shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!

you take your VC off every day to admire your rocker arms or something?

BUY MY PARTS!
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 07:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 19 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano

^ a particular reason for using 5w30. I usually use 10w30
Old 08-27-2007, 07:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 38 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexelstudent11 View Post
you take your VC off every day to admire your rocker arms or something?
What? We all do, it's a d-series thing. You'll do it to eventually; soon you WILL be assimilated.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweezil View Post
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 07:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
the artist formerly known as drexelstudent11

Rep Power: 14 shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!
shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!shoebox_civic is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
What? We all do, it's a d-series thing. You'll do it to eventually; soon you WILL be assimilated.
I think I may have been already, I have two VTEC heads sitting in my shed, both sans valvecovers.

I sold the one VC on ebay for 39 bucks..

I only paid 20 for the whole engine!

BUY MY PARTS!
shoebox_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 07:32 PM   #17 (permalink)

Rep Power: 38 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by drexelstudent11 View Post
I think I may have been already, I have two VTEC heads sitting in my shed, both sans valvecovers.

I sold the one VC on ebay for 39 bucks..

I only paid 20 for the whole engine!
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
gonzo

I run sans VC so I can always see my rocker arms... what... you guys still run a VC?!?!? N00bs!! Everybody knows when you run w/o a VC your head flows better!
Old 08-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #19 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 12 Dweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to allDweezil is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnoutboy View Post
I run sans VC so I can always see my rocker arms... what... you guys still run a VC?!?!? N00bs!! Everybody knows when you run w/o a VC your head flows better!
You can't forget the weight loss from trashing it along with how much oil weighs.

As seen on Michigan Civics.

Quote:
Arrogent?

No, I, like a lot of people on this site, don't have time for dumbasses that type like a cat with downs syndrome.
chipped ECU's for sale
P28 Clone - $125 Each
Unchippable P28 - $65
Dweezil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2007, 07:53 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
You can't forget the weight loss from trashing it along with how much oil weighs.
weight reduction ftw!
Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification