sounds like air is leaking when brakes are applied? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2007, 08:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Default sounds like air is leaking when brakes are applied?

when i push in the brake pedal as far as it goes, i can hear something that sounds like leaking air. i know this doesnt make sense, but seomeone suggested that it might be fluid leaking. i checked my brake fluid, and it is fine. could it be leaking within the system?

also, my brakes are not good, and are due for a checkup, but they don't squeak, or chirp, when i brake.

and ideas about the leaking air sound?

Note: it is not very loud; it can only be heard when ambient noise is low (no music, stopped car, etc).

thanks in advance

http://tinypic.com/2i91en6.jpg
bonus12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2007, 09:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
peace out

Rep Power: 11 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness

that'd be you brake booster.
when the brakes are applied the booster equalizes pressure through a vent inside the cabin at the pedal pushrod. There's supposed to be a little foam 'muffler' in the vent. I think they deteriorate.

perfect little animation to show you

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/power-brake2.htm
icarusdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 09:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

areskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the sky

the booster may have a leak, check vacuum lines also!

2Y 10M days without smoking
Join me http://www.d-series.org/forums/showt...18#post1487318
areskzc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 09:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarusdown View Post
that'd be you brake booster.
when the brakes are applied the booster equalizes pressure through a vent inside the cabin at the pedal pushrod. There's supposed to be a little foam 'muffler' in the vent. I think they deteriorate.
i think it is the brake booster, now that you mention it. would a failing brake booster cause the brakes to be worse? just making sure...

http://tinypic.com/2i91en6.jpg
bonus12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 10:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonus12 View Post
i think it is the brake booster, now that you mention it. would a failing brake booster cause the brakes to be worse? just making sure...
yes
asshat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 10:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonus12 View Post
Yes and no. You won't have the 'assist' that the booster provides, but you will still have the same braking power (just have to press harder).

'95 Probe GT, Laser Red Tinted Metallic, ATX-->MTX swap, CAI, Hotshot headers, custom 2.5" catback w/ Magnaflow muffler, Eibach springs, 16MM rear swaybar, Hella H4 conv.
moz_21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 10:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
peace out

Rep Power: 11 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness

if it only makes the sound when you push the brake pedal, then it's working as designed. It's just old and making noise.

if the booster has gone bad then you would not have power assist and/or your engine would have a large vaccum leak. either of which are obvious.

watch the animation I posted.
icarusdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 10:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 93reddelsol is fly like an eagle93reddelsol is fly like an eagle93reddelsol is fly like an eagle93reddelsol is fly like an eagle93reddelsol is fly like an eagle93reddelsol is fly like an eagle93reddelsol is fly like an eagle93reddelsol is fly like an eagle93reddelsol is fly like an eagle93reddelsol is fly like an eagle93reddelsol is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarusdown View Post
if it only makes the sound when you push the brake pedal, then it's working as designed. It's just old and making noise.

if the booster has gone bad then you would not have power assist and/or your engine would have a large vaccum leak. either of which are obvious.

watch the animation I posted.
The animation was to funny, lots of penetration.
93reddelsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2007, 11:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 12 green_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eagle

If you want to really hear a power booster, test drive any 5-yr-old or older ford truck. Push that pedal down and all you hear is PSSSSSHHHHHHH.

Apparently they don't think it's worth their while to quiet it down, or the foam just breaks down real quick.
green_hornet_96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification