Coolant not circulating - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2006, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Default Coolant not circulating

My coolant hasn't been circulating in my 92 d15b7. I recently changed my head gasket because of oil in the over flow bottle and a slow loss of coolant. I also replaced the thermostat at the same time as the hg. I changed my timing belt and water pump this past spring. I noticed that the lower coolant hose doesn't heat up unless I let it idle for at least 20 minutes. Only after the fan turns on. The temperature gauge doesn't raise above half way. I have flushed the radiator once and noticed that It was pretty dirty. Right now I am waiting for my car to cool off so I can drain the coolant again this time from the engine drains aswell. I am not sure what else I should do.
Ice D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2006, 09:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater

Rep Power: 35 " Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

my temp gauge never goes over, 1/4 even on 115 degree day in traffic.....hrm
" Low " is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

How do the stock temperature gauges correspond to actual temp.
(eg. 1/4=170, 1/2=190, 3/4=220 ?) I'm not saying this is correct, just an example. Also which way does the coolant flow lower hose to upper hose or upper hose to lower hose. I am just nervous that my coolant is blocked b/c of air or debris in system.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:24 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Good point Low-EG. My temp gauge seems normal. I'm worried b/c of not circulating, the sensor isn't reading all the coolant just where some is.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
R2.....Zap Balls

Rep Power: 31 vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

when you refill are you opening the bleeder on the head to let all the air out? What I do with mine is fill it up til the coolant comes out with no bubbles or anything, then tighten the bleeder. Then let it warm up with the cap off to bubble out any air. Let it run until the fan kicks on twice, mine takes around 15-20 min or so to do it too. check the coolant level in the radiator and fill the coolant in the reservoir to the max line and put it all back together. If there is air in the line, you should be running hot when it hits the air pocket. You may already be doing all this, just wanted to make sure
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
And if it was up to me I'd have Mods ride his unicycle out and kick every single one of these dumbasses in the nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyHabitzCRX View Post
congrats to Mr and Mz Duck! now just keep her safe from the 3 'b's
boys, beer, and b-series.

http://www.go-autoworks.com

Do I miss the civic? Not really the car as much as the power it had
1993 E36 civic replacement work in progress:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...-1993-e36.html
vtecduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

I have the same problem with 93 civic. My lower rad hose seems to always be cool compared to my upper hose. My car also takes forever to warm up, needle stays under the C; until I start running the car for about 5 minutes.

I just changed my rad and thermostat too.
snguy82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2006, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Lude-icious!  is slowly gaining respectLude-icious!  is slowly gaining respectLude-icious!  is slowly gaining respectLude-icious!  is slowly gaining respectLude-icious!  is slowly gaining respect

mine stays cool running too...but as far as circulating coolant...thermostat could be in wrong...where was the little pinhole when you put the new thermostat in?? I've never had mine apart, so I don't know if its possible to put them in backwards, but I DO know its possible in my b20...water pump is cheap on them too, affordable enough to replace if in doubt...

I've been told that belly button lint migrates up from your underwear. Weird.
Lude-icious! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

OK I just flushed my coolant with cleaner. I took out my thermostat and ran it for a few minutes so it would flush better. I noticed some old head gasket and metal flakes. I'm glad I cleaned it out but I don't think any cooling ports were clogged because of the small amount of junk in there. I put it all back together and ran it for about 20 minutes and the lower hose still won't heat up. Maybe the engine isn't heating up enough to open the 195 deg. tstat I just put in it. I still don't like it not circulating. I think I am going to buy a lower temp. tstat soon. Thanks for the help all. Anyone think this is weird?
Old 11-12-2006, 04:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Today I drove my car pretty hard for 4 hrs and my thermostat still has not opened!!! Is my car just not heating up enough? I don't think this is normal. Hopefully I'll get a cooler tstat soon and that fixes It.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

How can you tell if your thermostat has opened?
Old 11-12-2006, 08:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 8 BLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropes

let your car sit overnight to cool. Pop the hood up. Then start your car. get out and open the radiator cap if the fluid is moving then your thermostat is bad, ive done this to most off the cars i used to work on to figure out if thats the problem.
BLACK-KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2006, 09:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
yellow bar for me

Rep Power: 12 lsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow up

the lower hose is going to be cooler than the upper, considering the fact that the upper hose is the fluid coming out of the hot motor, and the bottom hose is supplying the motor with the cool antifreeze from the radiator. my temp never goes above a 1/4 either.

active REP WHORE. you rep me i rep you back, on a mission to 3000 rep points
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkinmaster1 View Post
but thats what d-series is all about. cheap affordable performance.
lsturbohatch10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2006, 10:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK-KNIGHT View Post
let your car sit overnight to cool. Pop the hood up. Then start your car. get out and open the radiator cap if the fluid is moving then your thermostat is bad, ive done this to most off the cars i used to work on to figure out if thats the problem.
shouldnt the fluid move and overflow when the engine is on and the rad cap is off?
Old 11-12-2006, 10:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!

Rep Power: 24 si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....
si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....

you can put the tstat on backwards. and also the top hose will be hotter than the bottom, youll know wen ur tstat is ope bc the hose will get hot and it will have pressure wen u squeeze it. try and get a cooler tstat or even take the one u have out and check if its in there rite.
si-hatch86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2006, 08:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by si-hatch86 View Post
you can put the tstat on backwards. and also the top hose will be hotter than the bottom, youll know wen ur tstat is ope bc the hose will get hot and it will have pressure wen u squeeze it. try and get a cooler tstat or even take the one u have out and check if its in there rite.
Is that right?

I thought if the thermostat is closed, fluid will be inhibited from entering the engine causing pressure in the lower hose. Sorry, Im a complete noob at this and want to make sure. I pretty sure I put the tstat in right, i followed all instructions. Spring side goes in towards the engine and matched up the gasket with the teeth in the housing.

Ice-D, I hope you dont mind me asking questions on ur thread. If you do, I'll be happy to start a new thread. Just that I have the similar problem and quite concerned as u are.

thanx
Old 11-13-2006, 10:44 AM   #16 (permalink)
R2.....Zap Balls

Rep Power: 31 vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
vtecduck is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by snguy82 View Post
your cooling fan should turn on at least twice while it's sitting at idle, just start it up and let it run. If anyone is looking at getting a cooler thermostat, it will make you car run richer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
And if it was up to me I'd have Mods ride his unicycle out and kick every single one of these dumbasses in the nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyHabitzCRX View Post
congrats to Mr and Mz Duck! now just keep her safe from the 3 'b's
boys, beer, and b-series.

http://www.go-autoworks.com

Do I miss the civic? Not really the car as much as the power it had
1993 E36 civic replacement work in progress:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...-1993-e36.html
vtecduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2006, 11:30 AM   #17 (permalink)

si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Is that right?

I thought if the thermostat is closed, fluid will be inhibited from entering the engine causing pressure in the lower hose. Sorry, Im a complete noob at this and want to make sure. I pretty sure I put the tstat in right, i followed all instructions. Spring side goes in towards the engine and matched up the gasket with the teeth in the housing.

Ice-D, I hope you dont mind me asking questions on ur thread. If you do, I'll be happy to start a new thread. Just that I have the similar problem and quite concerned as u are.

thanx
yes i am correct, my dad has been a radiator tech for 15+years and i have been a radiator tech for about 2-3 years on and off, summer job and then recently full time.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:33 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
you can tell ur tstat has opened bc what you do is full ur car up with coolant while the car is off, then you start it (with the cap still off) and let it idle untile the fan kicks on twice. as soon as the fan kicks on once you should see the coolant level go down in the top of the radiator. if it doesnt go down you tstat is not opening due to being faulty, in backwards, or some other reason that is restricting it from opening. its usually one of the first two
Old 11-13-2006, 11:39 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....JaredKaragen is almost there....

check it out:

from a cold start, the upper hose will ghet hot always faster.

The thermostats nowadays get locked open, not closed.

Hondas take forever and a day to warm up while cold and idling.

If a thermostat is bad, the problem 99% of the time is the temp wont stay near the middle of the scale.

if u wanna see if it is opened, get a gasket, and unbolt the thermostst housing when the motor is hot, but not immideately after stopping the motor. You will see it open or closed when u pull it out.
1995 DelSol Si : B18C1/I/H/E Totalled. Swap is sold. Soon to part out.

Pat: You will be remembered.
JaredKaragen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2006, 11:40 AM   #20 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 34 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

have you tried testing the t-stat to see if its shot?
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddcartes View Post
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification