D15b VTEC FAQ - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2005, 08:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Cuong-Nutz will become famous soon enoughCuong-Nutz will become famous soon enoughCuong-Nutz will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Cuong-Nutz Send a message via MSN to Cuong-Nutz
Default D15b Vtec Faq

Hi guys, I no longer frequent this forum anymore. Most of the info here is very up-to-date as far as I know. I have not been able to read through it all but there are others here knowledgeable who can answer your questions if what I have is not sufficient.

I figure I would make the definitive D15B FAQ. It's currently in the works and it will have lots of info. I'm getting tired of seeing the d15b threads over and over.

D15B specs:
Quote:
Horsepower
130ps @ 6800 rpm (128.22 hp)

Torque
14.1 kg m @ 5200 rpm (101.74 ft lbs)

Fuel Mileage
38 miles/gal (in mode 10 driving? daily driving i guess)
55 miles/gal if you drive 38 mph all day

Transmission with or without LSD
3.250-1
1.900-2
1.250-3
0.909-4
0.750-5
3.153-reverse
4.250-Final

Compression ratio
9.3:1 <-- proof we can use cheap gas

Ferio VTi (sedan) Weight (just to compare)
Base 1040 kg (2293 lbs)
w/ power steering 1060 kg (2337 lbs)
w/power steering and sunroof 1080 kg (2381 lbs)
SMOG RESULTS WITH P08 MAPS

D15B INSTALL INTO CIVIC

JDM D15B VTEC Honda Parts Numbers!

BRACKETS AND ACCESSORIES WILL SWAP OVER ONTO YOUR NEW BLOCK

Last edited by Cuong-Nutz; 01-31-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Cuong-Nutz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 Cuong-Nutz will become famous soon enoughCuong-Nutz will become famous soon enoughCuong-Nutz will become famous soon enough

As with any engine swap, you'll want to do your major tune-up on the motor while it's out of the car. You have no knowledge of the past history of the motor unless it was from a car that you knew. Just putting the engine without replacing parts is just a time bomb waiting to go off. Save yourself time, swearing, a new motor, and do it right the first time by replacing the parts!

Finding replacement parts for the D15b is a PITA since this motor was not home to the Civics in the US but that of overseas...Japan, Europe, and elsewhere. Don't fret though, your basic maintenance parts can be had here in the US. This FAQ is to help clear the problems involved in searching for parts and make your life easier.

The D15b is essentially a VX block with a EX/Si Head. Majority of the internal parts are unique and cannot be found in the US, but your common maintenance parts are. Parts for the head are for a D16z6 (EX/Si) and the parts for the block are for a D15z1 (VX).

Setting timing: You set the timing on the cam gear as you would on on a D15z1--using the TDC indicators that parallel to the head with the "UP" facing up. You do not use the timing indicator on the 7 o' clock position of the cam gear. Just to be on the safe side when checking timing, use a long rod and stick it inside the number one cylinder to make sure you are actually at TDC.

Waterpump:

The correct waterpump is one for a VX(D15z1)

The waterpump for a D15B7 and a D16z6 are the same. The D15B7 pump shown here is made by the same company as the stocker for the D15b--KeiKen.

top view Left to right: D16z6, D15b7, D15B vtec

inside view left to right: D15B vtec, D15b7, D16z6

corresponding part number and brand. Stock D15B vtec waterpump at the far end.

I bought another water pump but this time at Advance Auto. I didn't like the design on the other water pump since it was nothing near like the stock one. The stock waterpump has, from what I believe, are breather ports for the bearing but I could be wrong. You can notice the opening/passages that lead to the bearing/rotating assembly.

Another angle of the inside view. Stock closest, D15b7, D16z6

Timing Belt:

You need a VX belt. Gates part number is T223.

The Gates T143 (1.5L DX/CX) was too long. The T224(1.6L) was shorter than the T143 but still had some slack. The only way you can run the D16z6 timing belt is if they're using the d16z6 tensioner. Even then, you risk the chance of timing belt teeth catching the lower portion of the engine mount since it's so close to it now.

Spark plugs:
D15B VTEC plugs: ZFR6J-11

Spark plug wires:
Same thing as for a D16z6.

Distributor:
The distributor is the same as the one for the D16z6.

Oil Pan:
D15b7 and D16z6 pan and oil pick ups are the same and will fit the D15B as far as I know. 96-00 D-series pans do not fit from what I've been told.

ECU:
You can run the D15b7 (P06) ecu but you won't have VTEC operation.
You can use a stock D16z6--P28-- ecu without a problem. It would be better to have the ecu chipped and run the P08 maps though.

Don't bother trying to get the stock D15b P08 ECU. Just have your current ECU chipped and run the P08 maps. Plus, you now have the advantage of tuning your car once chipped.

Oxygen sensor:
D15b7, D16z6
You can't use the one wire oxygen sensor that came with the D15b unless you're using the P08 ECU. Also, I don't think you can find the one wire oxygen sensor here in the US.

Fuel injectors:
Same as D15b7, D16z6

Transmission:
Any D-series. Best to get the EX/Si tranny to utilize the power band and the quick acceleration.

Last edited by Cuong-Nutz; 05-28-2007 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
addicted to reputation points

Rep Power: 14 russianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatnessrussianwonder32 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to russianwonder32 Send a message via MSN to russianwonder32

timing belt... vx.
spark wires z6
dizzy z6.
This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
russianwonder32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2005, 05:11 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Timing Belt Tensioner:
The VX and the EX/Si tensioners are the same and are nothing like the one on the D15B VTEC. The D16z6 tensioner is almost the same as the D15B vtec except that it has a slightly larger diameter roller as you will see in the following pictures. I want to say it is safe to use the tensioner for the VX/EX/Si despite the larger roller. All the autoparts store I went to did not have a tensioner for the VX in their database--O'Reilly's, Autozone, and Advance Auto Parts, so stupid me went to the Stealership and ordered one only to find out it's the same as the EX/Si tensioner. The price was twice as much as the ones from the autoparts store, but it came with a new tensioner spring. The tensioner off a D15B7/8 will not work.

Z6/Z1 top, D15B middle, D15b8/d15b7 bottom

Z6/Z1 top, D15b vtec bottom

D15b VTEC tensioner on with VX timing belt. Pay attention to the tensioner spring.

Z6/Z1 tensioner on with VX timing belt. The tensioner spring is stretched further. I'm hoping this will be okay since I'm going to be using it.

Last edited by Cuong-Nutz; 12-13-2005 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Thermostat:
All D-Series thermostats are the same. Designs vary with brands.

stocker and Murray Plus replacement (PN 3187)

Exhaust manifold/Header:
The D15b uses the same 4-2-1 design as the D16z6. The stock exhaust manifold is made out of cast iron. The upper portion of the stock exhaust manifold alone is as heavy as my Megan Racing 4-2-1 header.

Purge solenoid:
The D15B does not come with one, you will have to reuse your old one from your engine. You will have to drill and tap the spot on your D15b intake manifold or stick the purge solenoid on the firewall or somewhere.

Fuel rail accessory:
The D15b came with just a regular hex bolt type fitting to hold the fuel feed hose onto the fuel rail. The US civics have the pulsation damper assembly. Will have to clarify this in the future.

Last edited by Cuong-Nutz; 12-13-2005 at 03:54 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuong-Nutz
Does anyone know what timing belt tensioner to get and where or what part number it is?
Old 12-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Am I alone on this one?

I have an OEM Honda timing belt tensioner BRAND SPANKING NEW if anyone's looking for one... Fits VXs and EX/Si's....

Last edited by Cuong-Nutz; 12-13-2005 at 01:41 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Looks like I have no choice but to use the EX/Si/VX tensioner. Hope all goes well. I don't want to chance reusing the old D15b tensioner that was on the motor.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
SSJSubgeta

quick question for ya, I need an alternator belt, will any D-series alternator belt fit, I swapped in the D15 Vtec into my CRX HF 91? are there any diffrences? thanks great info.....
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2005, 09:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

The belts are the same Just reuse your old one.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 14 DirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

SO.....with a mini-me(D15B2/D16Z6)would it be better to run a Z6 belt or VX belt? Are the number of teeth the same?
DirtyDC4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2005, 10:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

The VX and Z6 belts are different lengths. On my old B7/z6 mini-me, i used the Z6. The Z6 should be the right one for your application as well.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 14 DirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatnessDirtyDC4 is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

K, just checking.
DirtyDC4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2005, 06:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
The H Badge is it!

Rep Power: 18 SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcanoSOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
SOHC_Rules is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 30 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SOHC_Rules

i always thought you had to use the timing belt from the block code maybe im wrong

wouldnt that be like putting a z6 belt on a stock b7?
Old 12-16-2005, 01:40 AM   #15 (permalink)
Shackle me NOT!!!

flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....flatfourfan Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

nice thread.I can't believe that I've never seen this before.
flatfourfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-16-2005, 01:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
decev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHC_Rules
i always thought you had to use the timing belt from the block code maybe im wrong

wouldnt that be like putting a z6 belt on a stock b7?

It's my understanding that its the head to belt combo that is correct. On my b7/z6 the b7 belt would have barely fit, but would have been too tight and made noise. The z6 has some slack, but works fine and won't snap from undo tension.

Oh yeah, great info in this thread.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
SSJSubgeta

hey got a new question for ya, do you have like the number for new spark plug wires, some of them are 8.5mm or 9.5 etc whats the diffrence with the D15 or can i just use any from honda (same i mean same year like 92-95 or if it was in a CRX 88-91?) thanks
Old 12-20-2005, 08:22 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

You'll need ones for a d16z6. I would guess any wires for a 1.6 will work, but don't quote me on that.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
i shoot stuff

superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to superdewey58

what will not having a purge solenoid do, what does it acually do, b/c i just put my d15 in i noticed that as well?

do u live in south florida
Quote:
What happend to the hood? Looks like a fat girl jumped on it.
superdewey58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2005, 06:53 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I believe it has to do with emissions. It connects to the charcoal canister and works off the vacuum in the intake manifold. If you disconnect it you will notice an erratic idle. This is on USDM vehicles. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, which I may possibly be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.