"Small" gearbox to change direction of rotation? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....
Default "Small" gearbox to change direction of rotation?

Not sure if this is the right section, but I couldn't really think of where to put it.

I'm trying to find a pretty small gearbox to use to change the direction of rotation of a jackshaft. Like a Vortech SC kit for a B-series, but I need to reverse the rotation to use a better compressor (Rotrex C30-94). I need a gearbox to change the direction of rotation, using a double-v belt and a bunch of pulleys and crap is not an option.

I've thought about finding a cheap used differential from a ATV, locking the ring gear, and using the differential action to change direction of rotation. Would be easy, but I'm worried about lubrication (oil/lubricant heating up) and about the gears holding up to abuse.

I've also thought of using a simple, small gearbox. I can get/make a small gearbox/gear for fairly cheap, but even then I'm still worried about it holding up to abuse and sustained medium-high RPM's (SC Jackshaft will have to spin 3000rpm for hours on end (highway cruising) and be able to stand up to visits to 9000rpm+ daily.

Does anyone know any good gearboxes/solutions?
Anything to contribute?
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Sentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcano

Yeah diffs aren't meant to be in constant differential action. That's why they tend to explode during a one wheel peel.

http://westwheels.ca/
Sentry is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 15 snm95ls is the fucking MAN!!!!snm95ls is the fucking MAN!!!!snm95ls is the fucking MAN!!!!
snm95ls is the fucking MAN!!!!

Why do you need to change the direction of if you are going to use a jackshaft? That is part of the reason why the jackshaft was used on the Vortec kits.

Engine spins CCW when viewed from the front of the engine, the from the back it is CW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
I like balls.
snm95ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Viewed from the pulley side, a Rotrex spins CW. Jackshaft would be spinning CCW (same as engine).

Page 2: http://www.power-enterprise.co.jp/ro...rotrex/C30.pdf

The one guy that's run a Rotrex on a B, ran a double sided v-belt. I would like to avoid doing that (and keep AC)...

Last edited by sxysweed; 01-16-2012 at 07:02 PM.
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 09:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 3 blackstar_1 is learning the way of the Dblackstar_1 is learning the way of the D

!he way you mount it can make it spin either direction
blackstar_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 11:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

Rep Power: 69 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

He finally got it too work!!!!

Note the amount of belt wrap on the SC pulley, better than 50%!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Quote:
Anyplace , Anywhere , Anytime
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 11:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

Rep Power: 69 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackstar_1 View Post
!he way you mount it can make it spin either direction
Not a Rotrex. If you were to design a new turbine and compressor wheels along with outlet, it would work on D/B/F motors. They weren't interested due to low demand. Oscar Jackson (Jackson Racing) started using them on K/L motors due to the flipped design compared to our old setups.

BTW: There is not enough room under the hood of a 93 Civic to mount a Rotrex above the frame rail by the washer bottle, we tried. As well the Rotrex uses a special fluid in it's drive box.

35k, whoopee!

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Quote:
Old 01-17-2012, 12:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

sxysweed, look into the old Hewland "quick change" rear ends

Simple FD ratio changes without getting messy, with same idea you could alter the blower drive ratio.

Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification