Smoke coming from headers..Blown head gasket? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Default Smoke coming from headers..Blown head gasket?

Whats up guys, so i bought my old 92 hatch back from the guy i sold it to, dont know what he did to it i just know he wrecked it and didnt want to drive it anymore. After it sat there for a few months I offered some cash and got it back cheap. annnnyways, All it needed to start was a new battery, starter and cat back exhaust system(used the old headers). I get all the components on yesterday and got it started. I let it run for about 5 mins and everything idle perfect BUT im seeing smoke coming from around the headers. The only thing ive found so far that is similar to this is a blown head gasket and it could be burning the nastyness out of the headers. honestly i dont have the cash or the tools to do this job. Any advice is appreciated.
raunchywhoopde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2011, 08:13 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

robscrx is almost there....robscrx is almost there....robscrx is almost there....robscrx is almost there....robscrx is almost there....robscrx is almost there....robscrx is almost there....robscrx is almost there....robscrx is almost there....

check around the header probably header gasket
robscrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Dave_P It's a JDM Star Bitches....Dave_P It's a JDM Star Bitches....Dave_P It's a JDM Star Bitches....Dave_P It's a JDM Star Bitches....

I CANNOT STAND WHEN PEOPLE SAY HEADER PLURAL. Your engine is inline not shaped like a goddamn V.
Let it run and watch where the smoke is coming from. Be more specific about the smoke. Is it exhaust fumes? What color is the smoke and how much is there?
Old 11-19-2011, 08:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Haha calm down dave, go get some coffee. Rob, I also thought it was the header(non-plural) gasket thinking that was it and made sure I sat it in perfectly again and still the same thing. Its white smoke coming from around the 02 sensor area and i wouldnt think there should be any reason a 02 sensor should be making it smoke.. I didnt want to run it more than 10 minutes because of chances making things worse. im going to let it run and take off the radiator cap and if i see bubbling im going to considering putting steel seel in it.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 baajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eagle

It could potentially be burning oil off of it.
baajaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Thanks man, ill check it out today and post back with some more info.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 5 crxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to all

Let it idle few about 20-30 minutes. It's burning off anything not cast off of the exhaust manifold.

"Don't get too close to me, you'll get Horsepower on you!"
-DonWon
crxdonwon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 10:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!

Rep Power: 24 si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....
si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....

Please do not put steel seel in it unless you plan on putting a new radiator and heater core in the near future and possibly worse...

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
si-hatch86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 6 Omega Blaze is starting to learn the ropesOmega Blaze is starting to learn the ropesOmega Blaze is starting to learn the ropesOmega Blaze is starting to learn the ropesOmega Blaze is starting to learn the ropesOmega Blaze is starting to learn the ropesOmega Blaze is starting to learn the ropes

Pics or gtfo.

This is 2011 not 1911.

Camera phone, Digital Camera, Webcam, Disposable Cam & Scan the pic, etc..

We'll be able to help you much better bro..
Omega Blaze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 07:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

haha my bad blaze, I would take a video but all my symptoms are happening during driving now. I drove it for about 30 miles today, and the white smoke off the headerrr have stopped but its still putting off a strong smell. Plus i had a lot of white smoke coming out of the muffler(from what my buddy was telling me). no power, I havent seen any bubbles in the radiator, but i still think this more than qualifies it for a blown head gasket from here. my next step is taking the spark plugs out and if there covered in coolant on whatever cylinder then obviously thats the only cylinder thats f*cked. I went out and bought this bars leak head gasket repair that has nothing but good reviews on amazon that im going to try out tomorrow(f*ck it, give a 10 buck job a try right?). And I have to completely disagree with you si-hatch i do not believe it will ruin your radiator or heater core. Check this guy out, he's a little cheesy but knows way more mechanical knowledge than any 14 year old kid trying to do a video on youtube.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....

I have to disagree with that being a radiator tech I've seen first hand it ruins it. Won't do it right away but it will do its primary job of plugging holes really well.... Even the rad/heater core tubes

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
Old 11-19-2011, 07:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 coasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunna

So if this mystery smoke only shows when you are driving, how do you know where the smoke is coming from i.e (white smoke around the o2 sensor) So just get a video of it or some pics dont be lazy.

If you don't want to do more work on your car I would suggest to not put that garbage in your engine (steel steel) that guy on that video needs some help. If you didnt notice he did not drive that car he put that shit in instead he drove a newer mustang. I know your a noob, but I am sure you have some kinda of knowledge on cars.

If you cant do the head gasket then I would find someone with tool that can help you. Good luck

"Learn from yesterday live for today hope for tomorrow.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...mes-build.html
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
Dwight Schrute: “There’s too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.”
coasttime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 09:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

I said my buddy was behind me watching the white smoke come out my exhaust on and off, and the whole point of me not doing the head gasket was because i didn't have the money to buy all the gaskets, which is what i said on my first post. I dont have a problem doing a head gasket, i think its a fairly simple job.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

I just swapped my hg. The gasket was 22 from orielys. Keep the intake connect and lift head a whole swap gasket and reinstall. You said it hasn't been over heated so reusing head bolts should be ok just torque properly. That's only ten bucks more than the gunk that's gonna go in

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
Old 11-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #15 (permalink)
Cxm
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 Cxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatness

all the gaskets?

I've done b7 HG's with JUST the headgasket, got it at advance auto with a coupon too.

reused head bolts, and IM and exhaust mani gaskets.

If its the headgasket changing it is going to be less of an assache than bandaging it... Trust me on this. I went down that road the first time I ever had HG issues and was afraid to DIY
Cxm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2011, 11:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 5 v8killaz is fly like an eaglev8killaz is fly like an eaglev8killaz is fly like an eaglev8killaz is fly like an eaglev8killaz is fly like an eaglev8killaz is fly like an eaglev8killaz is fly like an eaglev8killaz is fly like an eaglev8killaz is fly like an eaglev8killaz is fly like an eaglev8killaz is fly like an eaglev8killaz is fly like an eagle

lol this guy thinks he saved his headgasket by using sealant. its a fucking toyota. my last celica had 260k on it and i revved it to like 12k one time
Old 11-20-2011, 04:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 16 boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!boostedsohc is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
lol this guy thinks he saved his headgasket by using sealant. its a fucking toyota. my last celica had 260k on it and i revved it to like 12k one time
just simply taking care of your car can make it last 300k without changing the HG.

op. you should try a leak down test. that will let you know for sure if its a HG.
11.2 @121mph 1.9 60ft missing 4th
1.77 is the best 60ft so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzar View Post
Cheap, Fast, Reliable
You may only pick two!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyb34 View Post
bottles are for babies.... boost gets you laid
boostedsohc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 coasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by raunchywhoopde View Post
Whats up guys, so i bought my old 92 hatch back from the guy i sold it to, dont know what he did to it i just know he wrecked it and didnt want to drive it anymore. After it sat there for a few months I offered some cash and got it back cheap. annnnyways, All it needed to start was a new battery, starter and cat back exhaust system(used the old headers). I get all the components on yesterday and got it started. I let it run for about 5 mins and everything idle perfect BUT im seeing smoke coming from around the headers. The only thing ive found so far that is similar to this is a blown head gasket and it could be burning the nastyness out of the headers. honestly i dont have the cash or the tools to do this job. Any advice is appreciated.
Quote:
Haha calm down dave, go get some coffee. Rob, I also thought it was the header(non-plural) gasket thinking that was it and made sure I sat it in perfectly again and still the same thing. Its white smoke coming from around the 02 sensor area and i wouldnt think there should be any reason a 02 sensor should be making it smoke.. I didnt want to run it more than 10 minutes because of chances making things worse. im going to let it run and take off the radiator cap and if i see bubbling im going to considering putting steel seel in it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega Blaze View Post
Pics or gtfo.

This is 2011 not 1911.

Camera phone, Digital Camera, Webcam, Disposable Cam & Scan the pic, etc..

We'll be able to help you much better bro
Quote:
haha my bad blaze, I would take a video but all my symptoms are happening during driving now. I drove it for about 30 miles today, and the white smoke off the headerrr have stopped but its still putting off a strong smell. Plus i had a lot of white smoke coming out of the muffler(from what my buddy was telling me). no power, I havent seen any bubbles in the radiator, but i still think this more than qualifies it for a blown head gasket from here. my next step is taking the spark plugs out and if there covered in coolant on whatever cylinder then obviously thats the only cylinder thats f*cked. I went out and bought this bars leak head gasket repair that has nothing but good reviews on amazon that im going to try out tomorrow(f*ck it, give a 10 buck job a try right?). And I have to completely disagree with you si-hatch i do not believe it will ruin your radiator or heater core. Check this guy out, he's a little cheesy but knows way more mechanical knowledge than any 14 year old kid trying to do a video on youtube.How to prevent your car's head gasket from blowing and costing you a small fortune. - YouTube
Everything that is bold and red is why I said "How do you know where the smoke is coming from?" Sorry you just contradicted your self when you were talking to Blaze.

"Learn from yesterday live for today hope for tomorrow.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...mes-build.html
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
Dwight Schrute: “There’s too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.”
coasttime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 04:53 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 5 crxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to allcrxdonwon is a name known to all

Unless you like changing head gaskets, don't buy a paper one from a parts store. MLS (Multi Layered Steel) Honda Head Gasket is the only thi g to use. Also, you can use one of those 24 inch aluminum levels (machined side) to check for straightness on the head surface.

On another note, if you recently put this car together the smoke can be from a number of things burning off. Do you smell antifreeze while driving?

"Don't get too close to me, you'll get Horsepower on you!"
-DonWon
crxdonwon is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification