Bad Fuel Pressure Regulator? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Default Bad Fuel Pressure Regulator?

For the couple months ive owned my B-swapped civic I have been living with an issue of having hard cold-starts. This issue also happens after driving, say I shut the car off and go to use it again in 20 or 30 minutes. It takes a bit more cranking then it should. All other honda's ive had before always fired up in a healthy 2-3 cranks maximum unless it was really cold out. Also to clarify the car starts up and runs great otherwise, just have this fast fuel-drain back issue.

Today I did a bit of investigation... I had a friend turn the key so the fuel pump would prime the fuel system while I watched the fuel pressure gauge that is on top of my new fuel filter.
Long story short, the system primes up to nearly 50psi, drops to about 37 Psi (what the gauge reads during normal idle) and then quickly drops down to zero. Literally what pressure the fuel pump primes is gone in under 2 seconds. With the car running I can make the gauge go down about 2-3 psi when I rev the engine from under the hood.

I did a bit of searching and found that a fuel pressure regulator that is going bad will have this exact effect on the fuel system according to random car sites google picked up during the search. The regulator might have an internal leak and its not holding the pressure like it should be.
I know normally after sitting a while the fuel pressure will drain back into the tank, but not THIS quickly?

Let me know what you guys think, I searched in our forum here and I didn't come up with anyone else having this type of issue.

Also what fuel pressure regulator should I look for to replace mine? My civic is a 91 with a SiR swap (B16A). The current FPR appears to be an aftermarket one one but im not sure how to tell what its from. It has little allen key bolts around it like an adjustable FPR has. I have no idea what to buy as ive never purchased an FPR before....

Old pic of my engine bay, best view of my current FPR at the moment:

INFO on FPRs:
http://www.howstuffinmycarworks.com/...regulator.html

and I quote "- What are the symptoms of a bad fuel pressure regulator?
The symptoms of a bad fuel pressure regulator include:
Lack of fuel pressure, excessive fuel pressure, black smoke and rich engine running condition, instant drop of fuel pressure once the vehicle has been turned off, delay building sufficient fuel pressure."

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________

UPDATE

Problem fixed! Turned out it was the old FPR causing my main issue! Read my full comment in this link:
Bad Fuel Pressure Regulator?

My Update Thread
Enthusiast, Dubber at heart

Last edited by GraniteLXi; 10-07-2011 at 10:33 AM.
GraniteLXi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 05:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 thompson335 is starting to learn the ropesthompson335 is starting to learn the ropesthompson335 is starting to learn the ropesthompson335 is starting to learn the ropesthompson335 is starting to learn the ropesthompson335 is starting to learn the ropesthompson335 is starting to learn the ropes

i have this same issue, but not as bad. takes about a half hr for my fuel pressure to drop to zero, i was thinking about doing the same thing, replacing the FPR
DIY port and polished head
Garret TB03 60 Trim

Thompson335
thompson335 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 08:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

i have a d16zc sohc non v-tech .. iam haveing the simialer problem i got a new pump . after my car died and wouldnt start i can hear the fuel pump come on and all , but no fuel presure to get fuel to my fuel filter bleader valve .. it aint getting any gas to the in line our out line at the filter .. so iam guessing the last thang i can do after getting all new filter , main relay , and pump is the fpr.. is this the issue .. let me know please would love to get back to work with out takeing a 3 hour bus ride there and home ..
91siblackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 11:01 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91siblackwidow View Post
i have a d16zc sohc non v-tech .. iam haveing the simialer problem i got a new pump . after my car died and wouldnt start i can hear the fuel pump come on and all , but no fuel presure to get fuel to my fuel filter bleader valve .. it aint getting any gas to the in line our out line at the filter .. so iam guessing the last thang i can do after getting all new filter , main relay , and pump is the fpr.. is this the issue .. let me know please would love to get back to work with out takeing a 3 hour bus ride there and home ..
Your problem seems to be before the fuel filter in my opinion. You say with a new filter installed your not getting fuel through your filter up to the top bleeder valve on the top banjo bolt?
My question for you is: With the fuel filter removed, do you GET fuel to your engine bay when the fuel pump primes? Does gas spray out of the fuel filter inlet banjo fitting with it disconnected? (I think by what you've typed it seems like thats a no.)

If yes: then you may have something blocking fuel flow inside the fuel filter somehow.
If no: Then your having a fuel delivery problem back at your fuel pump.

My Update Thread

Last edited by GraniteLXi; 09-23-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:26 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

thats definately an aftermarket FPR.. and I have seen several go bad. unless you're tuned to run a different fuel pressure, there is no need for anything other than a stock functional fpr.

try to find a stock on the throw on the and see what difference that makes.

and a sohc regulator might bolt on for a replacement

oem:

Google Images
md95ej1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by md95ej1 View Post
thats definately an aftermarket FPR.. and I have seen several go bad. unless you're tuned to run a different fuel pressure, there is no need for anything other than a stock functional fpr.

try to find a stock on the throw on the and see what difference that makes.

and a sohc regulator might bolt on for a replacement

oem:

Google Images
Thanks, I actually noticed that while searching that oem FPR's dont have allen bolts around them.
Along side that I searched for universal adjustable FPR's on Ebay and one of the FIRST things to come up was a $40 BLOX unit.... low and behold that is exactly what is in my car is a ebay FPR.... and a VERY cheap one at that.

What I need is a good brand (AEM, etc...) adjustable fpr OR perhaps one from another honda that has the pressure set to about 40 PSI. I haven't found out what OEM one I could use from another honda yet as I havent found out what pressures an oem would make from say an integra or something.

My Update Thread
Old 09-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 redline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to all

That looks like a modified stock unit using a b&m command flo
redline7500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline7500 View Post
That looks like a modified stock unit using a b&m command flo
+1
Wow I never thought of that, after taking a closer look the bottom half of my fpr, it looks much older then the top. I just searched the "b&m command flo" regulator.

It that even worse then actually buying a fpr that was made to be adjustable? It looks like a cheap part to me but i have no idea to be honest.
Also is it possible that whoever installed that on my car ruined the old regulator? The PO told me that this car has had the current cold start issue for as long as he has had the car.

What should I do? $95 will get me a new oem GSr regulator at Orileys, or for just a little more i can get an AEM one for $125 shipped online.

EDIT: I just searched and a common theme comes up with the B&M commandflo regulator. Lol they seem to fail after 6 months of use on average and are called the "hacksaw" special when it comes to FPRs.

I'm not sure when I'll be able to afford a new FPR as I have a timing belt system to replace first as that's much more important... but after that I think a new FPR will be in order.

My Update Thread

Last edited by GraniteLXi; 09-23-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 12:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 redline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to allredline7500 is a name known to all

i am running one and i haven't had any issues to date they are adjustable and in order to install one you have to cut the top off the stock unit it is very easy to do as for if they damaged it i do not know is the car running a stock ecu or is it tuned?

according to the fsm the b16a2 requires 40-47 psi with the vacuum line disconnected and pinched this matches the requirement for any fpr in 92-95 civics the 96-00 the psi is 38-46 i do not have an integra fsm to check the gsr's fpr
Old 09-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

if you're on a budget then i would try to find a stock regulator at a junkyard if you have one around. should be able to find for $5 or $10. IMO spending $100 on a part that is only for looks and can just cause problems is not necessary.
Old 09-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
if you're on a budget then i would try to find a stock regulator at a junkyard if you have one around. should be able to find for $5 or $10. IMO spending $100 on a part that is only for looks and can just cause problems is not necessary.
Sadly all the junkyards here are all call and pick up.... No nice pick-n-pulls by me That means with little parts... they often wont even go pull them for you its retarded.

Quote:
i am running one and i haven't had any issues to date they are adjustable and in order to install one you have to cut the top off the stock unit it is very easy to do as for if they damaged it i do not know is the car running a stock ecu or is it tuned?

according to the fsm the b16a2 requires 40-47 psi with the vacuum line disconnected and pinched this matches the requirement for any fpr in 92-95 civics the 96-00 the psi is 38-46 i do not have an integra fsm to check the gsr's fpr
I'm sure the PO or whoever did mine messed it up, or they installed a bad one. My civic is running a chipped PW0 (stock JDM OBD0 B16A ecu) as far as the chip goes I believe it is just to delete the 2 o2 sensors, the engine doesn't seem like its chipped to run any faster then stock to me.
See the car runs pretty damn great besides having the start up problem due to the fuel pressure drainback.

From what I searched it showed the B16A fuel pressure to be right around 40 psi as well.

Thanks for all the input guys!

My Update Thread

Last edited by GraniteLXi; 09-23-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:28 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

just post up a WTB ad on here or honda-tech.. or if you have paypal I'm pretty sure I have one thatd I'd let go for the cheap. shouldnt be much at all to ship.

love the color scheme on the ef btw. earlier in my crx build I had an ls/vtec and I went teal body but with house of kolors. I planned to do the v/c teal as well, but i stayed with the turbo D instead.
Old 09-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
just post up a WTB ad on here or honda-tech.. or if you have paypal I'm pretty sure I have one thatd I'd let go for the cheap. shouldnt be much at all to ship.

love the color scheme on the ef btw. earlier in my crx build I had an ls/vtec and I went teal body but with house of kolors. I planned to do the v/c teal as well, but i stayed with the turbo D instead.
I do have paypal actually, and use it a lot If you have one that would work for me out of what redline7500 said that I could use, id love to buy it off of you
I'll shoot u a message with my zip code.

Thanks man! My VC came pre-painted to match the body color, but ive actually been spending most of my money on maintenance and also fixing a few of the major cosmetic issues the car had when I got it. I have my update thread in my sig.

My Update Thread

Last edited by GraniteLXi; 09-23-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

the only thing you got to worry about is if the ecu was tuned for a non stock fuel pressure but seeing that it looks like it only has a sri and a header you should be fine
Old 09-23-2011, 06:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
the only thing you got to worry about is if the ecu was tuned for a non stock fuel pressure but seeing that it looks like it only has a sri and a header you should be fine
I have a fuel pressure gauge on my fuel filter and its always between 36-38 Psi with the engine running. Close enough to stock I believe.

My Update Thread
Old 09-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 16 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!

put a stock FR on and check your pressure with the vacuum hose off it check out fine then your cool. have you also check the return hose by pinching it if pressure doesnt rise the the regulator is bad. if after u change the regulator and its still bad its the fuel pump in my book or even the filter.

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2

Last edited by greasemonkey89; 09-23-2011 at 06:17 PM.
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 06:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey89 View Post
put a stock FR on and check your pressure with the vacuum hose off it check out fine then your cool. have you also check the return hose by pinching it?
I haven't tried pinching my return hose yet, ive just been going off the pressure shown by my gauge on my fuel filter.

My Update Thread
Old 09-23-2011, 06:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 16 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteLXi View Post
I haven't tried pinching my return hose yet, ive just been going off the pressure shown by my gauge on my fuel filter.
do it and see if your fp drops if it does it the FPR change to a working stock one. if it still is acting up and u have changed the fuel filter its the pump.

Old 09-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

here is an exert from the fsm on how to check the fpr

the fuel filter will also cause a lower fuel pressure
Old 09-23-2011, 06:27 PM   #20 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

he already knows what to do he just need to get off the pc and get to work stat!!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification