Brake Booster check valve - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
Default Brake Booster check valve

I had a question about the brake booster check valve. When I come to a stop and press on the brake (or even just idling and press the brake), the rpms drop really low like around 400rpm and then bounce back up to around 1200-1500 (I guess it's the ECU trying to move the idle speed back up). My question is does the brake booster have any effect, or should it, on the rpms of the engine. I took the check valve out and the engine doesn't drop as low and pressing the brake doesn't have any affect on the idle speed. Could the check valve be leaking or is it just something that is suppose to happen? I tried it with and without the IACV hooked up and it does the same thing so I know it's not related to that.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
-Albert Einstein

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
-Jimi Hendrix
ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 14 xile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcano
xile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcano

Id put that check valve back in. You can suck/blow on the check valve to see if its bad. Or even turn off the car and pump the brakes they should get hard.
Now the break booster does play a small part in rpm. If the car is on and you pump the breaks the rpm will go up. I believe its because your throwing off the amount of air in the intake manifold.

But your basic problem is when coming to a stop and pressing the breaks the idle drops low then shots up and then level out?
Round 2 Runing!!!
AEM FIC Guide
xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
Id put that check valve back in. You can suck/blow on the check valve to see if its bad. Or even turn off the car and pump the brakes they should get hard.
Now the break booster does play a small part in rpm. If the car is on and you pump the breaks the rpm will go up. I believe its because your throwing off the amount of air in the intake manifold.

But your basic problem is when coming to a stop and pressing the breaks the idle drops low then shots up and then level out?
Yeah, I wouldn't ever take it out and drive it. I tried suck/blow trick on it and seems to be fine, but do you think it might leak under higher vacuum levels? ^That is my question, the idle drops low, shots back up, then eventually levels out. Everyother car I had it would just drop down to idle level, but never any lower.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
-Albert Einstein

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
-Jimi Hendrix
Old 08-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 14 xile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcano
xile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCHONDACRX91 View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't ever take it out and drive it. I tried suck/blow trick on it and seems to be fine, but do you think it might leak under higher vacuum levels? ^That is my question, the idle drops low, shots back up, then eventually levels out. Everyother car I had it would just drop down to idle level, but never any lower.
Where your other cars hondas? All hondas i had, have that sucky idle problems. 850rpm then drop down to like 500-600 for no reason.

But it could be a leak in the break booster causing air to come in and throwing off the mix. That would explain the high idle, because it would be a vacuum leak. The low idle im not sure could just be the ecu making adjustments to the high idle.

Id check the booster for leaks, then the hoses. Also does the car stop ok or brakes kinda feel funny?
Round 2 Runing!!!
AEM FIC Guide
xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 9 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all

most likely the diaphram inside the booster is ripped.

after letting your car idle shut it off and be absolutely silent while laying in the floorboard and slowly push the brake pedal, if you hear a hissing noise then its bad.

the check valve isnt really needed in a N/A car, its more of a safety feature.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

Yeah, I've had about 15 honda's, surprisingly most idled perfectly fine it's just my own personal car that gives me the headaches. I did notice a hissing sound, but didn't know that was the diaphram. All the hoses are new and I checked and there is no leaks. I'm kind of annoyed about these power brakes, maybe a manual brake swap? I mean my crx doesn't have anything else power, so why should my brakes,lol.

-Albert Einstein

-Jimi Hendrix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification