JDM D15 dual vtec - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 09:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Unhappy JDM D15 dual vtec

I have a jdm 96-00 D15b engine with dual stage vtec. I'm trying to swap it into my 98 civic ex since that engine threw a rod. I was wondering how do you wire the vtec on these engine? since its got the dualstage vtec.. Will the engine work if i swapped the single vtec solnoid over to the jdm 96 D15b?
singleVtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2011, 03:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 SOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to allSOHCpower is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleVtec View Post
I have a jdm 96-00 D15b engine with dual stage vtec. I'm trying to swap it into my 98 civic ex since that engine threw a rod. I was wondering how do you wire the vtec on these engine? since its got the dualstage vtec.. Will the engine work if i swapped the single vtec solnoid over to the jdm 96 D15b?
is yours like this Cause For Alarm ver6.EG - 3 Stage VTEC JDM D15B

if so thats 3stage vtec, the d16y8 you had in the car is a two stage vtec. the 3stage vtec works by running off one lobe on the cam til about 3k rpm then the 2nd stage vtec engages running two valves at different lift and duration to create a swirl in combustion, then at about 5-5.5k rpm the 3rd stage engages where all intake valves run same lift and duration on higher profile cam lobe.

basically if you want that to work, you would need the ecu for that motor, or run an rpm switch for the 2nd stage vtec, and convert to obd1 so you can have the motor tuned to run more efficiently, because a 2stage vtec ecu will not be able to compensate for the engine running on one intake valve until 3k nor be able to turn the 2nd stage on.
SOHCpower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 17 Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!
Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!

Search dude.

You can easily make it run like a normal vtec head
Full_Tilt is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

I have searched, but everything I found only talks about needing to run the correct ecu. I was wondering if it was possible in any way to run a chip p28 ecu and just wire the 2 vtec solnoid together or how can i wire the two solnoid so it works?
Old 07-20-2011, 10:28 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOHCpower View Post
is yours like this Cause For Alarm ver6.EG - 3 Stage VTEC JDM D15B

if so thats 3stage vtec, the d16y8 you had in the car is a two stage vtec. the 3stage vtec works by running off one lobe on the cam til about 3k rpm then the 2nd stage vtec engages running two valves at different lift and duration to create a swirl in combustion, then at about 5-5.5k rpm the 3rd stage engages where all intake valves run same lift and duration on higher profile cam lobe.

basically if you want that to work, you would need the ecu for that motor, or run an rpm switch for the 2nd stage vtec, and convert to obd1 so you can have the motor tuned to run more efficiently, because a 2stage vtec ecu will not be able to compensate for the engine running on one intake valve until 3k nor be able to turn the 2nd stage on.
Thanks for the help. that helped me understand it alot more. Do you know of anyway I can wire the 2 solnoid so they work with a chip p28 or a stock d16y8 ecu? I guess my biggest problem is the two vtec solnoid and how to wire them to work without the stock d15b 3stagevtec ecu since they are so hard to find and will cause problem due to the egr.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:19 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

anyone done this before?
Old 07-21-2011, 06:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 Evanguy is hot as a volcanoEvanguy is hot as a volcano
Evanguy is hot as a volcanoEvanguy is hot as a volcanoEvanguy is hot as a volcano

lock the intake valves together either with a 12volt source or mechanically. then you will have just a regular vtec head and you can run a chipped p28 no problem and just hook up the vtec solnoid like you would in any other vtec motor. if you can find one just look for a y8 head or z6, it will work the same and you wont have all the parts your not using in the head still

My NA D17Y8 build http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ml#post2525188
Model IC engine im building http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ic-engine.html
custom aluminum rods im making http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...inum-rods.html
Evanguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification