50 dollar paint job question - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » D-series Knowledge Factory » General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2011, 10:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Default 50 dollar paint job question

i am thinking about doing a 50 dollar rustoleum job.
i have heard conflicting reports about wheter or not you need to prime it if you do this method? which one would you prefer/advise?
and also does anyone know if it is possible to spray oil based rustoleum that is thinned with a spray gun?!
thanks in advance
auto2manlikeaboss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
EF9
D-series PIMP

EF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcano

the prep job is always the most important as it will affect the quality of your final product. Sand it down even, apply a good coat of primer, then one to a couple coats of color of choice. You can also add in the clear coat to make the overall appearance better depending on color

Check around as there have been many who have gone down this route

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ojekt-w11.html <- Deuce MKIa
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...449-deuce.html <- Deuce MKIb
Will you make a contract with me? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Quote:
Originally Posted by awebb View Post
Magical spinning Doritos do not belong in cars...
EF9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 50 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I think it works on both surfaces but you do not have to prime it (in fact it's supposed to work better on unprimed surfaces).

Yes you can spray it once it's thinned. I've seen it done once before on a Miata. I do not know the condition of said gun afterward though.

If you are told to search, CLICK HERE!!!

Have you checked Teefury today?

About me

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 10:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

so youd say primer is a must? ive seen it done without and cant really tell the difference but then again thats why im a n00b XD

WOOT i was not looking forward to hand rolling my entire car

and would you say its necessary to use auto clear coat or is any clear coat ok?

Last edited by krychek57; 06-28-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 50 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

No clear coat is needed, and I'm pretty sure primer isn't either. But I would primer it just to even out the finish.

EDIT: Yep, primer isn't needed.

About me

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!

Last edited by awebb; 06-28-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
The House that Trevor Built.

Rep Power: 50 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

clear coat will protect the paint from UV radiation. its a good idea. unless you want faded paint.

any clear coat should work

heres a question for you: have you priced out REAL automotive paint? its cheap. i was gonna go with a $50 paint job using boat paint but automotive paint was cheaper and ended up costing me only like $100 for a gallon.

i just used single stage.

Playin Sega and Slammin Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
Dyno tuning/welding/fabrication/installations
Evolution Auto Performance - 604.460.7969
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 10:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

really? i have been told and found some auto shop places that where advertising exponentially higher paint prices then what i am willing to dish in a diy
Old 06-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

He's talking about buying the automotive paint and you spraying it yourself.

About me

Old 06-28-2011, 11:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 Ej1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebody

Your prep work is the biggest thing in body work, hands down. If your doing body work then lay a thin coat of primer down on the spot you did the work on and then it the whole car with a thin coat, then wet sand, better the prep better the finished product

I was gonna do this method but im still undecided, i only use 2k primer and if im spending money on automotive primer then i might as well go with automotive paint, single stage is very cheap and if you do it right it can turn out like a base coat clear coat car

If your gonna do this 50$ paint job then spray it with a gun, it willl turn out soo much better, its not hard to opperate one at all.

I just dont think you can spray automotive paint over the rusto paint without stripping the rusto paint off becuase of the chemicals in it, i know thats how it works with spray paint.

But id lay a thin coat of primer on the car and then wet sand, then wax and grease remover and tac it and spray 2-3 coats of your rusto and let it dry and then wets sand that and then spray another 2-3 coats and then wet sand that with 800+, get some 1500 polish compand and rub that on there and then wait about a week or 2 and the wax it..theres a thread on google some where of some guy doing his miata, turned out pretty good IMO, you can use a clear after the last 2-3 coats but dont forget its only a 50$ paint job, you can always respray it
Ej1civic coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 5 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness

You can get a gallon of automotive paint, gallon of Base maker and gallon of Clear with activator for around $300-$350 depending on color and have it painted in 4 hours with good prep. the $50 paint job takes a week...
This gives you 2 gallons of paint and 1.25 gallons of clear you can basically paint 2 cars with that much unless your doing jambs and engine bay
l337h4l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 02:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Summit racing acrylic urethane paint, gallon of paint for $80-$100 + $20 for activator (most colors don't need clear and still last for years) they have about 30 different colors and it's a good idea to get some of their $50 primer (gallon). Get the real paint, the only nice rustoleum paint job I've seen was theidealone's civic.

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
-Albert Einstein

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
-Jimi Hendrix
ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 02:08 PM   #12 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 16 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCHONDACRX91 View Post
Summit racing acrylic urethane paint, gallon of paint for $80-$100 + $20 for activator (most colors don't need clear and still last for years) they have about 30 different colors and it's a good idea to get some of their $50 primer (gallon). Get the real paint, the only nice rustoleum paint job I've seen was theidealone's civic.
yea i see that its pretty cheap threw summit i might go that route myself since rustoleum doesn't have a decent silver. but your right there is cheap auto paint compared to going the rusto way.

OP paint is all about your budget but make the smart choice and pay attention to prep

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
gonzo

theidealone It's a JDM Star Bitches....

So heres my opinion. I rolled my car...

First off, you dont have overspray with rolling. So the masking is minimal. Just R&I and lay some plastic down. You also dont kick up dust with a roller, like you do with air pressure. Less shit in your paint if youre not working in a booth (hell even if you work in a booth you can kick dust up if you dont mask things tight).

Second, you need to thin the paint about 50/50 to get it to lay down smooth, and dry in a reasonable amount of time. So with it thinned out that much, it runs VERY easily. So you need to lay it on VERY thin. Doing so with a spray gun is gonna be difficult. If youre gonna spray it, I see it having a lot of texture, and needing to be sanded a lot.

Third, I put primer on any exposed metal when I painted. The paint adheres to virtually anything though. Its pretty impressive. So unless you have exposed bondo or metal, I wouldnt be too concerned with primer. Even if you were to paint your car the right way, with the right materials, you dont need to primer over the old paint or anything.

Fourth. My car gets garaged. But its been painted for over a year, Ive used all kinds of degreaser, carb cleaner, etc to clean rubber and shit off of my car. And the paint is surprising the shit out of me. Still looks great. It probably needs a buff, but that comes with any car, regardless of paint. I dont think this paint needs a clear. It seals pretty well, and really is tough.

Google 50 dollar paint job, and just follow what those guys do. Theres tons of people who have had good success with it. Including myself.
theidealone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 02:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
gonzo

theidealone It's a JDM Star Bitches....

I posted these in another thread, but heres my paint.

Just a couple of weeks ago.

theidealone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 05:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by theidealone View Post
I posted these in another thread, but heres my paint.

Just a couple of weeks ago.

^^^That still just amazes me, I will have to try it out someday on a car I'm just selling

"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school."
-Albert Einstein

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
-Jimi Hendrix
ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 5 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness

theidealone Do not get me wrong I like your paint I would roll on to if it was a flat color and no metallic flake.

The CRX is getting repainted factory black with a little extra red flake maybe a hint of gold
l337h4l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification