Differentiate between intake and exhaust valve springs? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 17 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Default Differentiate between intake and exhaust valve springs?

I just recently purchased a disassembled y8 head and all the valve springs were tossed into one bag.

Now is there a way for me to figure out which one is the intake springs and which is the exhaust?

of course these are OEM springs, just in case anyone was wondering.

thanks
- sammo
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 17 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Okay, I was able to notice a stupid light shade of red on 8 of the valve springs and from what finding out is that they are color coded for either intake or exhaust.

Ive tried searching about color coding for valve springs but came up with others asking the same thing but with no results. LOL.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano
xylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcanoxylocramer is hot as a volcano

IIRC (could be wrong) red is exhaust

Turbo sol build: http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...sol-build.html

crx hf racecar build: http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...x-project.html

Base by: Coolder

'93 Del Sol Si D16Z6
Stolen twice, recovered twice.

'88 CRX hf D16Z6
build in progress
xylocramer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

Rep Power: 72 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Service manual has the info, even which end of the spring goes towards the head.

It's been a "long exhaust"ing day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Quote:
Anyplace , Anywhere , Anytime
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness

iirc
red = exhaust
green = intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
cmgogo for president.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awebb View Post
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogdougynutty View Post
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2011, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xylocramer View Post
IIRC (could be wrong) red is exhaust
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Service manual has the info, even which end of the spring goes towards the head.

It's been a "long exhaust"ing day.
Ha! I didnt even realize to even look there. Thanks Bones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgogo View Post
iirc
red = exhaust
green = intake

There is actually no green markings on the other valve springs hahaha. I only barely noticed the redish mark from me getting pissed off and almost throwing one then I noticed the blemish. LOL.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat

And here I was thinking they were all the same. Shows you what I know.
1988 CRX DX - Y8 Mini-Me "Cassidy"

Phi Alpha!
88CRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

xile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcano

Does it matter? and what if the color is gone how would you tell? Size? Spring rate? etc..?
Round 2 Runing!!!
xile6 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 02:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 6 Jomama is da #1 stunnaJomama is da #1 stunnaJomama is da #1 stunnaJomama is da #1 stunnaJomama is da #1 stunnaJomama is da #1 stunnaJomama is da #1 stunna

Good luck Sammo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by awebb View Post
Some people do turn their car into artwork. Others turn their car into macaroni glued onto construction paper.
Jomama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 02:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88CRX View Post
And here I was thinking they were all the same. Shows you what I know.
From my search of my answer yesterday, SOME aftermarket Valve springs are have the same rate. So your right on certain aspects

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
Does it matter? and what if the color is gone how would you tell? Size? Spring rate? etc..?
From an OEM stand point yes. It matters. As the Y8 intake valve springs are stiffer then those from the exhaust. How much stiffer? That is another question for another day =P

Oh and if the color markings are completely gone then id say...your SOL. LMAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomama View Post
Good luck Sammo!
Thanks G! I seriously hope I get a decent amount of gains from this Frankenstein head work. Id be happy with a 10hp gain. LOL.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
wheres my money man!!

Rep Power: 36 sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

blue is intake pretty sure
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sleepy...11505538884521
sleepingciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

I took a way closer look today in the sun and the colors are Green and Red, I'll look in the honda manual later on today to see which to face them and which one is which.
Old 06-16-2011, 03:19 PM   #13 (permalink)
wheres my money man!!

Rep Power: 36 sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !sleepingciv is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

thinking he gave ya different springs
im seeing blue , and brown for y8

green from the y7
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Sleepy...11505538884521
sleepingciv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 04:07 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 8 hotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatness

Grab a set your sure of from the jy? Or pop a vc off and see what colors they have

PM for ECU Chipping/Socketing and Repair, Cheap
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MacK View Post
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingciv View Post
thinking he gave ya different springs
im seeing blue , and brown for y8

green from the y7

HRMMM!. I do have a set of Y7 valve springs and also a set of JDM D15B valve springs. I shall go and inspect them...LOL. *need to spread some rep before whoring them to Ryan. LMAO*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj View Post
Grab a set your sure of from the jy? Or pop a vc off and see what colors they have
Well the color markings arent just on the side of the valve spring, they are actually on the underside of the spring so basically the under bedding of the valve spring. LOL ><
Old 06-16-2011, 06:47 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat88CRX smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammo115 View Post
Well the color markings arent just on the side of the valve spring, they are actually on the underside of the spring so basically the under bedding of the valve spring. LOL ><
Let's see... I think I remember some Z6 springs I have laying around having some markings on them.
1988 CRX DX - Y8 Mini-Me "Cassidy"

Phi Alpha!
88CRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 07:28 PM   #17 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Just finished looking thru the Honda Service Manual for the 96-98 Civic. There are NO information about valve spring color coding or anything with color mentioned with the valve spring BUT it does state how to place them. The end with the closest wound coil faces the cylinder head =P

Also currently at the moment uploading the pictures that I took of all the valves spring that are to my disposal. Which are a set of Y7 valve springs and JDM D15B valve springs and of course these "Y8" valve springs *yet to be proven*

JDM D15B Intake Valve Spring

JDM D15B Exhaust Valve Spring

Y7 Intake Valve Spring

Y7 Exhaust Valve Spring

Mysterious "Y8" Valve Spring
Red:

Green:

So, anyone out there that can confirm what valve springs these are?

Last edited by Sammo115; 06-16-2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

Rep Power: 72 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

the manual does state how to tell which springs are which.

Free, yet lengthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Quote:
Anyplace , Anywhere , Anytime
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2011, 09:56 PM   #19 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

You super sure bones?! Either my reading comprehension is down the shiter or it just isnt there. LOL. i'll eyeball it again at work.

Feels like your leading me on Bones. LMAO.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:20 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 14 cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!
cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!cyanide is the fucking MAN!!!!

Intake ones are stiffer
Advertisement

Tags
spring color, valve color, valvespringcolor, valvespringcolorcode

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification