Brown stuff in coolant - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Default Brown stuff in coolant

hey guys I'm new hear but I have a problem. I saw brown residue in my radiator after I purchased my EJ1. I thought ok maybe its rust from the radiator so I swapped out the radiator. A couple of days later I see the brown residue again. I've been reading that it's signs of a failing head gasket but could it also be anything else besides that? And if it's a failing head gasket wouldn't there be water in the oil?
Iwantvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2011, 06:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 8 sloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunnasloK is da #1 stunna

first of all, where do you live?
2nd of all, if it was rust inside your cooling system, just replacing the radiator wont take the rusty coolant and residue out of your engine and other coolant hoses.

Quote:
no restrictor!

how is oil going to damage a steel ring? it wont.
am i the only one who is on the same page as danz!?!?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
s300 is worth the money over crome. crome is terrible and i have a feeling people over the pond have more brains than to cheap out on management like most over on this side.

especially since most other platforms require complete stand alones!
sloK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 06:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 devilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the community

did you flush the system? or just drain, change radiator and refill
devilsnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 06:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
EF9
D-series PIMP

EF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcano

Having kaka colored coolant is usually a sign that the headgasket is on its way out or your cooling system has cancer in it. To confirm the headgasket, one way is to have someone rev up the engine hard n quick and check what comes out of the tail end, usually whitish smoke is a sign and it should have a hint of a sweet smell. As for the cancer, do a string of flushes over the course of a couple months (ie one flush every 3-5 weeks for 10-12 weeks). To comfirm cancer, you can also pop the thermostat out and see how it and the surround area looks.

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ojekt-w11.html <- Deuce MKIa
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...449-deuce.html <- Deuce MKIb
Will you make a contract with me? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Quote:
Originally Posted by awebb View Post
Magical spinning Doritos do not belong in cars...

Last edited by EF9; 05-08-2011 at 06:28 PM.
EF9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Rep Power: 27 T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Headgasket is on its way out!

Hella Flush.....Were waiting!

Xbox gamer tag: THErealTMACK
T-MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 06:29 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

dnice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussiednice78 is a Top Aussie

I remember my sisters car had some brown goop-like stuff in her radiator three years ago and she has yet to blow her headgasket.
2014 Honda Grom
dnice78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 13 Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!
Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!Nasty_Canasta is the fucking MAN!!!!

You can try taking your radiator cap off, leaving the hood open and starting it.
If your head gasket is going and pressure is getting into the cooling system,
your coolant will shoot out the radiator. Sometimes as high as 5-6 feet.

If it doesn't happen, it doesn't mean your head gasket isn't going. There
are a bunch of different symptoms depending on where the gasket is failing
at.

Also check the top of your oil cap for milkshake, your coolant reservoir for
oil / gunk, air continuously bubbling from the radiator, etc.

Have D15B7 / A6 Cam / Non Vtec Questions? Click This.

I home school my kid. I am now Professor Canasta.
Nasty_Canasta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!
patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!

A Honda radiator is normally aluminium as is the head and block. The only materials that can make brown rust are the steel fittings or tubes like across the back of the block from the thermostat to the water pump.

Brown sludge is almost certainly oil and almost certainly due to a current or previously blown or leaky gasket. A lot depends o where and why the gasket is leaking.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread
http://www.d-series.org/forums/dohc-...storation.html

my intro
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...y-project.html
patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

No bubbling in the system or sludge on the oil cap. Also I've tried the revving and no white smoke comes out. Also I drained, changed rad, and refilled.
Iwantvtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 08:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 baajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eagle

You need to flush it out. Pour some draino in it, and let it idle for 15 minutes or so. Then drain it. Fill it. Run it around town a lil. Drain it again. Fill it again. Good to go!!
baajaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 09:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!
patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!

DO NOT. I REPEAT DO NOT PUT DRAINO IN IT.

Draino is caustic soda. Caustic soda dissolves aluminium rapidly. You radiator, block, water pump and cylinder head are all aluminium. Draino could turn it all to shit.

Use Draino would have to be the worst single piece of advice I ever saw on here.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread
http://www.d-series.org/forums/dohc-...storation.html

my intro
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...y-project.html
patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 10:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness

Quote:
Originally Posted by baajaa View Post
You need to flush it out. Pour some draino in it, and let it idle for 15 minutes or so. Then drain it. Fill it. Run it around town a lil. Drain it again. Fill it again. Good to go!!
Seriously... who gave you posting rights?

How have you been flushing? Inline water tap into the heater hose, or just drain and refil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
cmgogo for president.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awebb View Post
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogdougynutty View Post
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2011, 10:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 38 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Flush it all out, put new 50/50 in there and report back in a month..
Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification