My damn oil pan drain bolt wont stop leaking - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 02:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

siregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the sky
Default My damn oil pan drain bolt wont stop leaking

As the title says I am pissed it was leaking before and I replaced the drain bolt and put a metal washer on and it seems like its leaking more WTF

Anyone have any ideas maybe my pan is stripped IDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ozwrecker View Post
can you tell me how to hook up a vtech switch?
i want it on the new steering wheel i got at pep boys. have you seen it its sick!
but if i hook up the vtech i can have it at like whatever rpms i want right?
like vtech all the time? will it pop louder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
Just hook it up to a clapper and slap yourself in the face everytime you race......
siregcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series G0D

2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....

my guess would be the pan bolt hole or bolt is stripped...

PM me for obd1 & obd2 tucked mil spec harnesses
http://www.d-series.org/forums/sale/...e-harness.html
all so do vtec sub-harness

tucked headlight harness
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...-hottness.html

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 50 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Ya, the fix would be to buy a new Oil pan.

The patch would be to wrap the plug bolt in some teflon tape.

If you are told to search, CLICK HERE!!!

Have you checked Teefury today?

About me

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....

I guess this would work temporarily; but I use it permantly on my Accord which was stripped(thanks previous owner/Pep Boys)

Advance Auto Parts: Universal Oil Drain Plug by Dorman - Help - Part 65109

Just be careful not to overtighten it; it doesn't take much to seal.
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu16193153
K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 03:32 PM   #5 (permalink)
EF9
D-series PIMP

EF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcanoEF9 is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by awebb View Post

when using teflon, theres a certain one used for engine applications/ high heat. learned my lesson the hard time once with plumber's teflon (what was I thinking!)

http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ojekt-w11.html <- Deuce MKIa
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...449-deuce.html <- Deuce MKIb
Will you make a contract with me? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
Quote:
Magical spinning Doritos do not belong in cars...
EF9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 03:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: The Birthplace of Hot Rodding, Southern California. Suicide Riverside to be exact.
Rep Power: 14 maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:

I've used teflon for this a bunch of times. Just be sure to use one thats compatible with oil.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Full_Tilt Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2e2vin View Post
I guess this would work temporarily; but I use it permantly on my Accord which was stripped(thanks previous owner/Pep Boys)

Advance Auto Parts: Universal Oil Drain Plug by Dorman - Help - Part 65109

Just be careful not to overtighten it; it doesn't take much to seal.
omg wtf, lol
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 5 E-J-8 is learning the way of the DE-J-8 is learning the way of the D

++ TIME-SERT Threaded inserts for stripped threads, threaded inserts, thread repair stripped sparkplug's, Ford sparkplug blowouts, threaded inserts threaded, repair stripped threads, stripped threads, inserts threaded inserts, Ford spark plug repair,
i know we use these up at the job but it somewhat of a temporary fix because it can come out after unscrewing it time and time again. or as awebb said new oil is in order for ya. just remember honda sales crush washers and if you dont replace them after every oil change, trans drain and fill, it can mess your threads all up, and definately DONT not use one.
E-J-8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness

there is a torque spec on drain plugs for a reason people.

As far as yours being toasted, you can just get a cutter bolt or a piggy back and use it. (piggy back with some JB in the threads would probably be your best bet)
Over Size and Repair Oil Drain Plugs

Quote:
cmgogo for president.
Quote:
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogdougynutty View Post
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

sir_bobos Still a JDM Star....sir_bobos Still a JDM Star....sir_bobos Still a JDM Star....sir_bobos Still a JDM Star....sir_bobos Still a JDM Star....

Fill that hole and weld a new bung on? Probably easier ways.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:26 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 18 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!

ok start with the obvious. is it a new metal washer, or an actual honda crush washer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cade Johnson View Post
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard's blood View Post
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2011, 11:09 PM   #12 (permalink)

siregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen50 View Post
ok start with the obvious. is it a new metal washer, or an actual honda crush washer?
i fixed the leak... but i got the drain bolt and washer from autozone idk if its a crush washer, it probably isnt...

but what i did since autozone gave me the damn wrong bolt to begin with was get a new one which was about 1/4 inch longer and has more threads, i put some rtv at the base of the crush washer and very little at the base of the threads and no more leak shit was pissing me off though

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ozwrecker View Post
can you tell me how to hook up a vtech switch?
i want it on the new steering wheel i got at pep boys. have you seen it its sick!
but if i hook up the vtech i can have it at like whatever rpms i want right?
like vtech all the time? will it pop louder?
Quote:
Just hook it up to a clapper and slap yourself in the face everytime you race......
siregcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2011, 07:32 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 5 kenny8585 will become famous soon enoughkenny8585 will become famous soon enoughkenny8585 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen50 View Post
.. I thoughts the same..
kenny8585 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 9 hotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatness

Idk out rtv on the pan plug. I'd keep an eye on it. Park somewhere where you can see drips when you pull out. Or use the cardboard trick lol

PM for ECU Chipping/Socketing and Repair, Cheap
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MacK View Post
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 12:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siregcivic View Post
autozone
That's your problem. A Honda oil pan bolt and crush washer are like $1.50. I usually buy a few at a time to have spares on hand. Like cmgogo said, there is a torque setting for a reason. This is especially important for those that have aluminum pans. They are an expensive replacement part.
ImThaBean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 02:22 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 6 4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle4D2Envy is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj View Post
Or use the pull out trick lol

Fixed.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:10 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!
patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!

Silicone sealant will be fine as a temporary fix.

To determine the permanent fix you need to know the problem. No information here to date identified the problem.

It is most likely a damaged thread. If so is it the bolt or the bung.

It might be a damaged sealing surface on the on the bung or bolt or washer.

Bungs can't read so it will not be able to see a Honda brand name written on the washer. Any correct size crush washer will do, however a Honda dealer is probably the easiest way to ensure you get the correct size. A nylon washer can also work if sealing surfaces are OK.

If the thread on the bolt is damaged, replace the bolt.

If the thread on the bung is damaged replace the bung and the bolt. I personally would not repair a bung with the pan on the engine. Pull the pan, clean everything then cut out the old bung and weld in a new one. It can be any brand or reasonable size and thread, so long as you use the matching nut and washer. Heck, you could even weld in a tapered pipe thread and use a tapered pipe plug from a hardware store if you want to be like that. It is simply a device to let oil out then keep oil in.

Teflon tape comes in 3 grades here:-

1) White or extruded tape. It is cheap general purpose tape and the Teflon particles are not strongly fused so it is soft and porous and stringy when stretched. It de-laminates easily. I don't use it for anything.

2) Pink or skived tape. This is a bit thicker and properly moulded so the Teflon is fully fused. it looks feels and is more robust and stronger. That is what I normally use. It works fine with water or fuel or oil.

3) Yellow skived tape or gas grade. This is specified for use with natural gas or propane gas. It is like pink tape but made to higher standards re strength and thickness. It can be to thick for some fittings but so long as it fits, it is very good for sealing anything.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread
http://www.d-series.org/forums/dohc-...storation.html

my intro
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...y-project.html
patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification