Car wont start after distributor cap and rotor replace - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2011, 10:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 5 n4arush will become famous soon enoughn4arush will become famous soon enoughn4arush will become famous soon enough
Default Car wont start after distributor cap and rotor replace

i replaced my distributor cap and rotor today.afterward the car would start.i checked the wires,they are correct.i have no spark!

after reading a few forums ive read that becuase i didnt disconnect my battery i may have blew the coil? does anyone know anything about this?

-the diy that i read said nothing about disconnecting the battery...

PLEASE HELP!
honk if you love Jesus.text while driving if you would like to meet him.
n4arush is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 9 RandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to all

I'm sure you didnt blow your coil, as I've changed more coils then I can name in the past 10 years & have yet to experience a blown ignition coil from not disconnecting the battery cables...
sounds like you possibly got a faulty distributor cap or possibly even a rotor button.. thats about the only thing I can think of..
or even that you didnt tighten the rotor button all the way down so its not connecting to the tips on the dizzy cap to make spark. hence the reason you wouldnt have spark...
I'd guess you didnt replace the wires correctly but you said it has no spark at all so...

how are you checking for spark?
are you placing a screwdriver inside a spark plug wire boot & placing it next to a piece of ground metal on the engine bay & then cranking over?
Old 02-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 5 n4arush will become famous soon enoughn4arush will become famous soon enoughn4arush will become famous soon enough

i removed the plug from the engine... and plugged it back into the spark plug wire.i sat the spark plug on the valve cover and had my wife turn it looking for spark at the plug.nothing. i hope i didnt fry my coil.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4arush View Post
i removed the plug from the engine... and plugged it back into the spark plug wire.i sat the spark plug on the valve cover and had my wife turn it looking for spark at the plug.nothing. i hope i didnt fry my coil.
Pull your fuel line off the rail and put it in a jug of some sort for it to drain into see if your fuel pump primes (which it should) but then see if gas comes out when u turn it over, i just had the same problem with my car. If your expirencing the same thing i just was your fuel pump should prime but then not give it fuel when your tuning it over OR spark, if this is true then you need a new distributor, i tried replacing the ignition module before i replaced the hole thing that still didnt fix it.

Last edited by Addictedtoboost; 02-28-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Addictedtoboost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 11:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

its getting fuel.i can smell it on the plugs.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 12 Sentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcano
Sentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcano

Step one should be put the old shit back on and see if it works, not make a post on the forum.

http://westwheels.ca/
Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2011, 11:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
Step one should be put the old shit back on and see if it works, not make a post on the forum.
i cant put the old stuff on right now, its pouring rain and dark. i was trying to get an idea of what may be going on.

if you dont have any HELPFUL contribution then dont post.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
its getting fuel.i can smell it on the plugs.
mine did the exact same thing, fuel on the plugs and all, but have it your way.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 8 mondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to all

ok. i had this issue once. check all your fuses step one. step two. get a working dizzy and try putting that one on your car and it will most likely start.

MY story: i swapped a y7 head out on my girls ek 4dr. put the y 8 head on. never disconnecting the battery. BIG mistake. IDK what i fried but i fried something and it wasnt rice.

I went to the junk yard got a dizzy and slapped that bitch on and boom. problem solved. junk yards aroudn here i can get a dizzy for 20 bucks so it wasnt a big deal. hope that helps.

try your ignighter.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 8 mondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to allmondo9psi is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addictedtoboost View Post
mine did the exact same thing, fuel on the plugs and all, but have it your way.
he clearly stated it wasnt a fuel problem. stop being a little douche bag and learn how to read
Old 03-01-2011, 01:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo9psi View Post
he clearly stated it wasnt a fuel problem. stop being a little douche bag and learn how to read
read my first post u idoit lol
Old 03-01-2011, 01:33 AM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo9psi View Post
ok. i had this issue once. check all your fuses step one. step two. get a working dizzy and try putting that one on your car and it will most likely start.

MY story: i swapped a y7 head out on my girls ek 4dr. put the y 8 head on. never disconnecting the battery. BIG mistake. IDK what i fried but i fried something and it wasnt rice.

I went to the junk yard got a dizzy and slapped that bitch on and boom. problem solved. junk yards aroudn here i can get a dizzy for 20 bucks so it wasnt a big deal. hope that helps.

try your ignighter.
we have all previously suggested the distributor you little douche bag
Old 03-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 5 kenny8585 will become famous soon enoughkenny8585 will become famous soon enoughkenny8585 will become famous soon enough

$20 for distributor.. That's cheap but not here.. LOl
kenny8585 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 03:48 PM   #14 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 5 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness

douchebag.... I just felt left out since we are tossing the names around

Check rotor make sure you have a 92-95 as 88-91 are perfectly round and without the screw the shaft spins and the rotor is stationary
l337h4l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 05:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

its not the rotor or the cap.i put my old stuff back on and it still dont work.ive read numerous threads now where when the battery WASNT disconnected,the coil blew.not sure what causes it...
Old 03-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 9 RandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to all

Quote:
its not the rotor or the cap.i put my old stuff back on and it still dont work.ive read numerous threads now where when the battery WASNT disconnected,the coil blew.not sure what causes it...
it says it in the manual also... best thing to do is remove your coil & take it to autozone & have them test it.. doesn't take 5 minutes
Old 03-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

friend brought out a new coil...car fired right up. odd tho. wonder what makes it fry?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification