Wiring Alternator directly to battery? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
Default Wiring Alternator directly to battery?

Okay, I got a CRX and I relocated the fuse box to the rear storage area. I have a wire from the positive battery terminal to the fuse box, then another that comes from the fuse box back to the alternator. It's been working fine for over a year, but recently had problems with the wire having too much resistance.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can I just run a wire from the alternator to the battery (with an in-line fuse)instead of running it all the way back to the fuse box (like 10 feet away). I have an extra port on the battery terminal, so it's not a big deal. On my dad's old mustang and '37 chevy it goes from the alternator straight to the battery, so it makes sense it would work. Ideas? Experience?

Also, if the alternator puts out 65amps, how does the 60amp fuse hold up? If I do put an inline fuse between alternator and battery should it be 70amp or 80amp?

Last edited by ZCHONDACRX91; 02-14-2011 at 04:35 PM.
ZCHONDACRX91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 6 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness

Anything is possible why relocate the fuse box to the back just tuck it under the dashboard.
l337h4l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....ZCHONDACRX91 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by l337h4l View Post
Anything is possible why relocate the fuse box to the back just tuck it under the dashboard.
It was a pain to get to, and easier just to reach back and see the fuses. Do you see a problem with a wire from alternator to positive battery terminal (with inline fuse, what do you recommend?)?
Old 02-14-2011, 07:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....

what size wire are you using?

PM me for obd1 & obd2 tucked mil spec harnesses
http://www.d-series.org/forums/sale/...e-harness.html
all so do vtec sub-harness

tucked headlight harness
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...-hottness.html

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jzdreamin View Post
what size wire are you using?
8AWG the way it is, but probably will use the same 8AWG, but it will be alot shorter.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....2jzdreamin Still a JDM Star....

i put my battery in the trunk with the fuse box under my dash and im using 8 gauge wire,and my alt is 120 amps and i never had a problem.. try a larger wire like 4 gauge and see if that helps you out..

PM me for obd1 & obd2 tucked mil spec harnesses
http://www.d-series.org/forums/sale/...e-harness.html
all so do vtec sub-harness

tucked headlight harness
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...-hottness.html

MAGIC-WIRES FOR YOUR ENGINE HARNESS NEEDS

instagram @magicman9won4

Last edited by 2jzdreamin; 02-14-2011 at 09:32 PM.
2jzdreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 09:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 10 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano

The 65AMP output on your alt is not the amps put out all the time. Its CAPABLE of doing that under LOAD. ie; A/C, defroster, etc. So you should run a 65amp fuse on a 65 amp output alt.

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79hilux90crx View Post
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Gus
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 6 Gus smells like BoratGus smells like BoratGus smells like BoratGus smells like BoratGus smells like Borat

Yes, that's how Honda wires it. Maybe go with a little larger gauge wire being the current travels a farther distance. You got it right with the fuse, don't want to carbq you project.
Gus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 09:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus View Post
Yes, that's how Honda wires it. Maybe go with a little larger gauge wire being the current travels a farther distance. You got it right with the fuse, don't want to carbq you project.
Agreed, I'm going to make it shorter so I'll just stick with 8 AWG, because there isn't alot of fuse holder that work with 4 AWG. Thanks guys.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!

Running that wire will not cause any issues, actually the main battery fuse in the fuse box directly connects to the wire in the fuse box under the hood, wich then goes straight to the battery so no difference if you add in a fuse. i would suggest 8AWG from a welding supplier. i got 30 foot of 4g for 30 bucks and it was welding leads, great stuff.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification