Anyone want to share tips on redoing a headliner? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2010, 01:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 12 lkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow up
Default Anyone want to share tips on redoing a headliner?

The headliner in my civic is sagggggy to say the least. It's been getting worse and worse over the years and it's probably about time i tear it off and redo it. Anyone have any good links on how-to's or care to recommend any specific fabric/material/glues?

Also, post pictures of any redone ones if you feel like whoreing out pics

Thanks

-Luke
y7 block, deburred Vitaras/FJT Ibeams, Stg4 P&P y8 head, ported and matched y8 IM, ITR tb, wrx urboTurb, ramhorn, jrc 5" fmic, 450's, 2.5" dp, 3" exhaust, clutch specialties stg2, act 12lb, rebuilt y8 tranny, S300. 221whp/201wtq

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...ld-begins.html

http://www.lukekailburn.com/
lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 17 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!

in for results as well! Planning on redoing mine a purple and black checkers =)
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #3 (permalink)

what car is it for? in for results as well!
LV'sCRXSi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 01:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 12 lkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow up

oops. 1997 honda civic, but i have a massive sunroof lol. I've thought about finding a patterned material. something subtle.
Sammo - I was actually thinking about a checkered or diamond pattern too But something grayscale with simialar colors to the stock headliner. something like this maybe

-Luke
y7 block, deburred Vitaras/FJT Ibeams, Stg4 P&P y8 head, ported and matched y8 IM, ITR tb, wrx urboTurb, ramhorn, jrc 5" fmic, 450's, 2.5" dp, 3" exhaust, clutch specialties stg2, act 12lb, rebuilt y8 tranny, S300. 221whp/201wtq

2005 Legacy GT

Old 09-20-2010, 04:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 bigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatnessbigluelok is approaching greatness

heres a diy for a 97 civic with a sunroof
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2338395
Old 09-20-2010, 04:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 13 Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!
Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!

whatever you do, do not apply the material on top of the vinyl it will not stick with any glue. Your gonna have to glue the material to the underlying material.

Hello noob meet.....Google
Egwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2010, 04:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 18 sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!
sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!

Not sure with a sunroof but if you can get the cardboard out spray with 3m spray glue or something like it and then put on the material. Met all the wrinkles out and let dry. Did mine with no experience and it turned out fine.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 5 E-J-8 is learning the way of the DE-J-8 is learning the way of the D

i was in the process of doin my about a year ago lol but never succeeded my flag was too small, i was just gonna cut out where the sunroof was supposed to be, but then i was like why not get two and measure where it would "drop off" at. I bought 3M spray adhesive for headliners outta home depot for like 4 bucks. then all you would do is pull the old headliner off spray a small strip at a time meaning from the left side of the head liner to the right, and use an old credit card of some sort and run it along the area you just sprayed to press it on and to keep the creases and/or wrinkles out.
E-J-8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2010, 08:42 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips guys! What materials are you putting on? I want to do like a moleskin/microsuede kind of material to match my seats.
I'll make sure I post up a picture of the project
-Luke

2005 Legacy GT

Old 09-22-2010, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 18 sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!
sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!sir_bobos is the fucking MAN!!!!

I used a felt. Kind of want to redo it with something else just to change but my friend said leave it cause it's pimp.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_bobos View Post
I used a felt. Kind of want to redo it with something else just to change but my friend said leave it cause it's pimp.
wopics sir wopics

-Luke

2005 Legacy GT

Old 09-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

sick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussie

lol GL. we tried this on a saturn. the glue we used like ate the viynl shit up we used, so we just paid the shop that makes seats an shit like that for cars/boats $40 and had it done from a pro!
95 civic coupe ex. Vitara-hbeam Z6
New Project Built Turbo F2B F22A nonvtec into civic
93 Accord SE 4dr black9stock)
Owner @ Grab-a-Nekbrace ENT like us on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/grabanekbrace
sick1camcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 10:21 AM   #13 (permalink)

Here's what i'm starting with:

-Luke

2005 Legacy GT

Old 09-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

It's a funny material, I got as good a picture as I could. My headliner was in good shape when I did it so I just put it right over the fabric that was there.

With flash

Without flash

Purple felt visor

EDIT* EEEWW I need to redo my trim. After my door panels I guess.
Old 09-24-2010, 10:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

^What material is that? Kind of looks like a plush velvet or something?

-Luke

2005 Legacy GT

Old 09-24-2010, 10:50 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Yeah maybe that's what it was. This was about three years ago so my mind is a bit behind. Still on there though so I must have done something right.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Cool. Yah not what I have in mind for the fabric but it's all good. What kind of glue did you use? I think I saw somewhere that 3M makes a "headliner glue".

-Luke

2005 Legacy GT

Old 09-24-2010, 11:04 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Did one in a Benz What a pain in the but that was.. Specially being stationed in Hawaii the 3M glue stuff didnt really like that at all
hidenplanvew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-24-2010, 11:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Location: The Birthplace of Hot Rodding, Southern California. Suicide Riverside to be exact.
Rep Power: 14 maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!
maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!maverick75 is the fucking MAN!!!!

If you have any fabric stores around you go take a look at the materials. Here at the local Jo ans They even carry the factory type headliner stuff. oh yeah and be happy that you dont have an old Ford. We have to take out the windshields to replace a headliner and the gaskets are not reusable and cost $300 for each set.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #20 (permalink)

what a pain!^ yeah i stopped by jo-anns the other day browsing around what they head. I'm still looking for some nice microsuede type of fabric. they had a few solid colors. I think i'm gonna look online for any that have a subtle design or pattern on it that is close to the original headliner color.

-Luke

2005 Legacy GT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification