Rust in the inner rear fender well - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 04:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
gonzo
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 0 Killer Wasp is  EVIL !!!!!!!!
Default Rust in the inner rear fender well

I just got this 94 hatchback the other day. Cleaned it pretty good. I noticed rust on the rear fender well. Kinda pissed me off but whatever im stuck with it.

My question would be... what will be the steps to take care of this or in a ballpark fgure how much would it cost to take it to a body shop and let them go crazy with it...

thanks
Killer Wasp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-16-2010, 04:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member
 
mattliston's Avatar
 
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ft Hood,TX // La Crosse,WI
Posts: 3,535
Rep Power: 8 mattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatness
Default

take some pictures

you might be able to get away with grinding it smooth, and primering it, then coating it to prevent future rust.

All my hodnas had this, they do sell patch panels if its too far gone.

but pictures will give me a better idea on how I can help
__________________

1992 Camry AT - - - 2013 Fit MT
FUCK SKUNK2
D compression?
http://www.zealautowerks.com/dseries.html

why swap? build what you have!

Tune your setup
Turboedit -OBD0
Crome/Neptune -OBD1
mattliston is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #3 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
 
T-MacK's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: CANADA where its cold EH!
Posts: 5,481
Rep Power: 27 T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Default

I thought your ride was rust free?
__________________

Hella Flush.....Were waiting!


Xbox gamer tag: THErealTMACK
T-MacK is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 07:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT
 
iTrader: (31)
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: PITTSBURGH,PA
Posts: 2,573
Rep Power: 9 hatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatnesshatchaddict is approaching greatness
Default

ha ha just think if you lived in pa or worse in canada with t-mack winter takes a hugh toll ive never owned a honda that didnt have rusty quarters, just think of it as weight reduction. but in all seriousness it does suck and they do make quarter repair panels but for a body shopt to repair it depending on how bad it is probably from 500 to 2000 or more. i am in the process of doing quarters on my hatch
hatchaddict is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 07:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
gonzo
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 0 Killer Wasp is  EVIL !!!!!!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
take some pictures

you might be able to get away with grinding it smooth, and primering it, then coating it to prevent future rust.

All my hodnas had this, they do sell patch panels if its too far gone.

but pictures will give me a better idea on how I can help
I can have pictures for you tomorrow... its not too bad... i just want to take care of it before it gets any worse.
Killer Wasp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
gonzo
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 0 Killer Wasp is  EVIL !!!!!!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MacK View Post
I thought your ride was rust free?
Naw when i got the car i noticed they tried to put touch up paint over the rust area. Like i wouldnt see that. Its not too bad but i expected it.
Killer Wasp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
gonzo
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 0 Killer Wasp is  EVIL !!!!!!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchaddict View Post
ha ha just think if you lived in pa or worse in canada with t-mack winter takes a hugh toll ive never owned a honda that didnt have rusty quarters, just think of it as weight reduction. but in all seriousness it does suck and they do make quarter repair panels but for a body shopt to repair it depending on how bad it is probably from 500 to 2000 or more. i am in the process of doing quarters on my hatch
hmm ill have to do a search for that. I can imagine the labor that it will take to get this taken care of
Killer Wasp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier
 
cmgogo's Avatar
 
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Portland, OR / Delta Junction, AK
Posts: 694
Rep Power: 10 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness
Default

never had rusted quarters on my cars, even when i lived in PA, WV, MD, and NJ, and they were daily driven, parked outside either in the apartment parking lot or the barracks parking lot. Then again it all comes down to how well you take care of your car. If you have rust... your not doing enough maintenance, simple as that. Keep your car clean, wash it at least weekly during the winter making sure to rinse the undercarriage and fender wells throughly , get under it before and after winter to pressure wash all of the dirt and debris, and coat with a corrosion inhibitor. As long as you are anal about how clean your car is, you will never have rust issues, even in the NE.

As far as how much it would cost to repair, it all depends on how bad the area is, just remember most body shops charge on average of $100/hr to work on your car, plus parts & supplies.

Personaly i would remove all traces of rust, if it penetrates and is less than a dime i would weld it shut, glaze, prime, paint, if it is any larger than that, you are looking at doing a patch panel.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
cmgogo for president.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awebb View Post
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogdougynutty View Post
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
gonzo
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 0 Killer Wasp is  EVIL !!!!!!!!
Default

Yah im very anal of keeping my car clean. I just wish the person before me was the same. sadly its on both rear fender wells. Just the driver side looks worse. A crack about an inch long from the bottom has came up. looks horrible.
Killer Wasp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover
 
grumpz92eg's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: kansas city, ks
Posts: 106
Rep Power: 5 grumpz92eg is trying to make new friends
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgogo View Post
never had rusted quarters on my cars, even when i lived in PA, WV, MD, and NJ, and they were daily driven, parked outside either in the apartment parking lot or the barracks parking lot. Then again it all comes down to how well you take care of your car. If you have rust... your not doing enough maintenance, simple as that. Keep your car clean, wash it at least weekly during the winter making sure to rinse the undercarriage and fender wells throughly , get under it before and after winter to pressure wash all of the dirt and debris, and coat with a corrosion inhibitor. As long as you are anal about how clean your car is, you will never have rust issues, even in the NE.

As far as how much it would cost to repair, it all depends on how bad the area is, just remember most body shops charge on average of $100/hr to work on your car, plus parts & supplies.

Personaly i would remove all traces of rust, if it penetrates and is less than a dime i would weld it shut, glaze, prime, paint, if it is any larger than that, you are looking at doing a patch panel.
i didnt know there was such a thing as patch panels...imma have to look into that. any site you advice to use?
__________________
grumpz92eg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet
 
devilsnight's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: WI
Posts: 416
Rep Power: 11 devilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the community
Default

on a good note, you have rust. why? someone didn't fill it full of bondo and paint over it! Seen it alot before! lol. it would be nice if everyone got toghether on this and made a list of sites/manufacturer's who make 1/4 panels and such for our civics. my crx has rusty fenders but ill end up fabricating my own this winter. kinda cause of the price, kinda cause i can do it myself but, mostly I haven't had much luck finding new metal tho.
If you can get the metal as far as a shop welding it in and painting id figure on 3-500 bucks for the rear fenders probly. good luck
devilsnight is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier
 
cmgogo's Avatar
 
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Portland, OR / Delta Junction, AK
Posts: 694
Rep Power: 10 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness
Default

honestly i dont know where to source the panels from, but usualy i will goto the junkyards and cut out a part of a panel with an angle grinder.

and if i cant find the appropriate panel ill custom fab up one. (sheet metal fabricator for 8 years, aviation)
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
cmgogo for president.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awebb View Post
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogdougynutty View Post
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 11:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
gonzo
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 0 Killer Wasp is  EVIL !!!!!!!!
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsnight View Post
on a good note, you have rust. why? someone didn't fill it full of bondo and paint over it! Seen it alot before! lol. it would be nice if everyone got toghether on this and made a list of sites/manufacturer's who make 1/4 panels and such for our civics. my crx has rusty fenders but ill end up fabricating my own this winter. kinda cause of the price, kinda cause i can do it myself but, mostly I haven't had much luck finding new metal tho.
If you can get the metal as far as a shop welding it in and painting id figure on 3-500 bucks for the rear fenders probly. good luck
I appreciate the thought. I think for myself... might sound weird but I'm glad they didn't try to fix it. I can imagine the crap they would have done to it. I want this done right.
Killer Wasp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 11:49 PM   #14 (permalink)
gonzo
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55
Rep Power: 0 Killer Wasp is  EVIL !!!!!!!!
Default

On another note. I'm sure I'm not the only person who has rust on the rear fender of an eg civic. Question is guys what did you do to your hatch to fix the cancer? Did you refab it yourself or did you take it to a body shop?

If you did it yourself where did you purchase your metal?
Killer Wasp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2010, 11:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier
 
cmgogo's Avatar
 
iTrader: (4)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Portland, OR / Delta Junction, AK
Posts: 694
Rep Power: 10 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness
Default

i already told ya how i fixed it on friends cars (lazy bastards, but hey it was an easy 500-2k job)
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
cmgogo for president.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awebb View Post
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogdougynutty View Post
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet
 
devilsnight's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: WI
Posts: 416
Rep Power: 11 devilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the community
Default

You should have some options here this way. local hardware type stores usually sell sheet metal of some sort. How I go about it. with your fender intact cut a piece to size for the arch, fairly exact. after that cut the whole crap right out. weld the arch in. then youll have to bend and contour possibly a few pieces to fill the void. weld, grind, etc. after quite abit of hard work youll have fresh metal. spot fill if nessecary and prime it. If thats out of your range, take it to a body shop. either way if you can find a weld in panel that will save you alot of time and $$, im still inerested in who makes these? if anyone!
devilsnight is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 02:38 AM   #17 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D
 
90civichillclimber's Avatar
 
iTrader: (18)
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 1,732
Rep Power: 10 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgogo View Post
honestly i dont know where to source the panels from, but usualy i will goto the junkyards and cut out a part of a panel with an angle grinder.

and if i cant find the appropriate panel ill custom fab up one. (sheet metal fabricator for 8 years, aviation)
This is the way I do rust repair. It's cheaper when you make your own parts.
__________________
1990 Honda Civic Si Hillclimb/autox car
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ce-engine.html
1989 Ford Mustang 5.0 slow
1968 MGB vintage autox car
www.pahillclimb.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
dirty D's... done dirt cheap.
90civichillclimber is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 05:10 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier
 
Ej1civic coupe's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 842
Rep Power: 5 Ej1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebody
Default

when i bought my coupe my hole driver side quarter panel was rotted haha..just went to a local junk yard and cut out a quarter for dirt cheap and took it to a body shop cuz i didnt feel like messing with it cuz i knew the out side was bad and i didnt wanna see what behind it lurked haha..got the hole quarter put on for 350 bucks and primerd over and i patched the other side myself..if its just bubbled alittle you can just take a paint grinder to it and clean the rust up and lay some duraglass on it, sand that down..lay a thin coat of body filler on it..sand so u have ur body line, wet sand if u want and then sealer,surfacer, base, clear..(might have the sealer and surfacer mixed up vise versa)..its fun when u live in PA n the snow comes and salt on the roads ha..thats y i invested in a truck so i could park the coupe lol
Ej1civic coupe is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 05:30 AM   #19 (permalink)
Cxm
D-series soldier
 
Cxm's Avatar
 
iTrader: (9)
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 801
Rep Power: 7 Cxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatnessCxm is approaching greatness
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ej1civic coupe View Post
when i bought my coupe my hole driver side quarter panel was rotted haha..just went to a local junk yard and cut out a quarter for dirt cheap and took it to a body shop cuz i didnt feel like messing with it cuz i knew the out side was bad and i didnt wanna see what behind it lurked haha..got the hole quarter put on for 350 bucks and primerd over and i patched the other side myself..if its just bubbled alittle you can just take a paint grinder to it and clean the rust up and lay some duraglass on it, sand that down..lay a thin coat of body filler on it..sand so u have ur body line, wet sand if u want and then sealer,surfacer, base, clear..(might have the sealer and surfacer mixed up vise versa)..its fun when u live in PA n the snow comes and salt on the roads ha..thats y i invested in a truck so i could park the coupe lol
i had the bubbles and went this route on the cheap and its holding

sanded through the paint and rust to bare metal, used a rust converter, sanded, did it again, sealer/primered it, painted, wet sanded, cleared, held well enough til i can get out of PA, then i'll invest in a decent full repaint.
Cxm is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2010, 05:39 AM   #20 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!
 
T-MacK's Avatar
 
iTrader: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: CANADA where its cold EH!
Posts: 5,481
Rep Power: 27 T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchaddict View Post
ha ha just think if you lived in pa or worse in canada with t-mack winter takes a hugh toll ive never owned a honda that didnt have rusty quarters, just think of it as weight reduction. but in all seriousness it does suck and they do make quarter repair panels but for a body shopt to repair it depending on how bad it is probably from 500 to 2000 or more. i am in the process of doing quarters on my hatch
Its called rust check or krown once a year.

I have an original EH that is rust free and looks brand new underneath.

I all so don't winter drive it and rust check my shit every year so even if I did it would be rust free.

Just because people live in Canada does'ent mean your Civic is a rust bucket!
If you take care of your ride and spend the money you'll be fine.


This is some sort of urban legend in the States.
__________________

Hella Flush.....Were waiting!


Xbox gamer tag: THErealTMACK
T-MacK is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


iconAll times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:22 AM. | Welcome to Forum, please register to access all of our features.