Sandblasting aluminum wheels ? (pic) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 06:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Sandblasting aluminum wheels ? (pic)

I have some 87 CRX phone dials that I want to strip the paint off totally, and then polish the aluminum. Will sandblasting leave pits even if I use the correct type of beads ?

I've already hand sanded the one wheel in pic (right), but it was very labor and time intensive. And I still have 3 to go.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a60...f/IMG_8375.jpg

Thanks for any input you guys have.

Miss u too old girl
JAPANESE_PRECISION is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2010, 06:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread

Rep Power: 39 E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Follow the directions ***How To/DIY Polish Si Rims*** - ClubCivic.com - Honda Civic Forum

"I dont like talking to car forum people as much as I used to so now I just stick to the picture threads." ~E. Jeezy

"I should have well over 30k posts but d-series.org doesn't take into account, all the shit that I talk."
~E. Jeezy

"I'm so awesome that I quote myself in my own signature."
~E. Jeezy
E. Jeezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 07:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 50 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Aircraft paint remover or Soda blasting. Neither will leave pits and both will strip your paint nicely!!!
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 07:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!
slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webba1 View Post
Aircraft paint remover or Soda blasting. Neither will leave pits and both will strip your paint nicely!!!
I used the aircraft remover on the ls meshies I just got, works wonders.....just dont let it get on your skin
ls meshies, oem wing, fog lights, blacked out tails with h.i.d head lights

new 93 ej2.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lurking... ಠ_ಠ In Your Thread

Rep Power: 39 E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !E. Jeezy is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
just dont let it get on your skin
Please, God, no...

"I dont like talking to car forum people as much as I used to so now I just stick to the picture threads." ~E. Jeezy

"I should have well over 30k posts but d-series.org doesn't take into account, all the shit that I talk."
~E. Jeezy

"I'm so awesome that I quote myself in my own signature."
~E. Jeezy
E. Jeezy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 07:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
CR-Vtakin

Rep Power: 50 Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Levi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

soda blasting has worked well for me in the past before with no pitting.

1996 Acura Integra LS Sedan

Laying Claim To My Own Thread:http://www.d-series.org/forums//showthread.php?t=17947

1996 Integra Project Car:http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/72073-1996-integra-ls-sedan-pics-1-21-14-jdm-front-5-lug-auto-manual.html
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 50 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
just dont let it get on your skin
Sounds like one of those lesson's you learned the hard way. Like, "Never fry bacon naked!"
awebb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 34 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

aircraft stripper is what ive used in the past on wheels and valve covers. like the guys said above me, don't get that shit on your skin!

i like those si center caps in there
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddcartes View Post
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 10 90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano
90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano90civichillclimber is hot as a volcano

Quote:
I used the aircraft remover on the ls meshies I just got, works wonders.....just dont let it get on your skin
Ahhh, Don't be a pussy! It doesn't hurt that bad. It just gets a bit hot and leaves a chemical burn on ya. Don't get it in your eyes. If I were you, I'd just keep sanding them and then polish the shit out of them with buffing compound and good buffer. It will be labor intensive, but they'll turn out super nice.
1968 MGB vintage autox car
www.pahillclimb.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
dirty D's... done dirt cheap.
90civichillclimber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 09:38 AM   #10 (permalink)

Went and picked up a quart of paint stripper on my lunch... couldnt find the aircraft stuff at home depot.

The baking soda would have probably been less messy but I heard you need a special attachment to blast that stuff. And I'm not really sure where to get large quantities of baking soda lol.

Thx for the replies.... And for not making fun of my phone dials... People usually either love these or hate 'em.

I will post pics when the project is done.

Miss u too old girl
Old 03-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....

done both (sand blast and paint stripper) and both have had the same results. just a bit more sanding on the sandblast wheel is all just to smooth it out but if you do it right theyll come out looking like mirrors. i got a set of ep3 wheels im in the process of polishing right now!
spelts-face is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2010, 05:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 14 slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!
slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!slo_eg8 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by webba1 View Post
Sounds like one of those lesson's you learned the hard way. Like, "Never fry bacon naked!"
lol, I had gloves on, but I was barefoot lol. I thought a fire ant bit me then it got worse and worse so I hosed it off lol. btw, this is how well the weels came out

btw, I need 2 more ls meshies lol.
ls meshies, oem wing, fog lights, blacked out tails with h.i.d head lights

new 93 ej2.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2010, 07:14 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 cpierich smells like Boratcpierich smells like Boratcpierich smells like Boratcpierich smells like Boratcpierich smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAPANESE_PRECISION View Post
The baking soda would have probably been less messy but I heard you need a special attachment to blast that stuff. And I'm not really sure where to get large quantities of baking soda lol.
Yeah it uses a different attachment. Eastwood sells it but it's $130 and they also sell the soda, it's not the same shit you buy at the grocery store btw..
Old 03-20-2010, 07:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series.org Sponsor

Rep Power: 16 Aquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcano
Aquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcano

Fine glass beads on a low pressure work. I don't use sand for anything (for other reasons than it not being safe). Can't comment on soda blasting as I haven't tried it yet (building a booth to blast an entire car in, won't be blasting anything else with it).
MFactory D Series LSD $699.95 shipped!http://d-series.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4560&dateline=1250213  037
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2010, 05:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

pics posted in the showroom....

Miss u too old girl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification