Noob Q: Dry Oil Filter. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 DemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to all
Default Noob Q: Dry Oil Filter.

I did an oil change on my D and when I pulled the oil filter, unlike last time, it didn't niagra fall on me.

So I looked in the filter, and it was dry down to the base...and I tipped it upside down and nothing came out...And I stuck my finger in the filter mount and around the sandwitch plate and it was pretty dry...only a slight film in the mount.

Car sat for about 3 hours only after a 40 mile drive...

Filter in question was a fram, and I pretty much expected it to not keep oil pressure (which Is why I changed my oil early)...but still I didn't figure it would be dry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 437 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Oil should drain out of the filter if it has been sitting. The last time you changed it, was it right after the car had been ran?

Delta Cam, best bang for your buck!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../made_Ryan.png
ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 04:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 DemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to allDemoFly is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx View Post
Oil should drain out of the filter if it has been sitting. The last time you changed it, was it right after the car had been ran?
30 to 45 minutes last time.

But I'm just making sure it's all fine and dandy.
Old 01-07-2010, 04:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
BooM TastE IT

Rep Power: 25 Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

when you say dry is it DRY or it just doesn't run out like the last time.

My For Sale Thread
Onatop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 04:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....

my car did the same also i do oil changes on crown vics about a 10 min drive from the station to the shop turn car off and take filter off and no oil.....seems to me thats normal
spelts-face is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
I <3 TIG Welding

Rep Power: 19 9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!
9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!

i think it all depends on how long the car sits without running..
9295EJ-t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 05:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!
patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!

It depends on what you call dry and how the filter is mounted.

Oil will slowly drain out down to the level of the inlet or outlet port, whichever is lowest as there are clearances in the oil pump and the bearings.

No oil at all is frankly unbelievable as the engine would seize if no oil at all was going to the filter and if any was, there would be some residue below the lowest drain back point.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread
http://www.d-series.org/forums/dohc-...storation.html

my intro
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...y-project.html
patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 drummer87 is starting to learn the ropesdrummer87 is starting to learn the ropesdrummer87 is starting to learn the ropesdrummer87 is starting to learn the ropesdrummer87 is starting to learn the ropesdrummer87 is starting to learn the ropes

i had the same problem with my car, and it only sat for about 10 min. i just changed it and it was all good oil came out of the filter. Someone told me go get a honda filter because they create more pressure in the crank case but i dunno how much truth that has behind it. just wait and see what happens on the next one.
drummer87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2010, 05:55 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer View Post
It depends on what you call dry and how the filter is mounted.

Oil will slowly drain out down to the level of the inlet or outlet port, whichever is lowest as there are clearances in the oil pump and the bearings.

No oil at all is frankly unbelievable as the engine would seize if no oil at all was going to the filter and if any was, there would be some residue below the lowest drain back point.
If there was oil in the filter below the level of the inlet...then it wasn't enough to make itself present when I tried to hold the filter upside down and drain it. I got about 4 pinky nail size drops.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!
patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!

So it wasn't dry, just very low.

In that case it's normal drain back.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

my CRX thread

my intro
Old 01-07-2010, 06:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

How the hell does a filter in the oil line create pressure in the crankcase.

Think about what an oil filter does, why we do it and how it does it and what that does to pressure at different points in the system.

Clue
Oil collects in the sump.
Oil pump sucks oil from near the bottom of the sump.
It pumps it through gallerias in the block to the filter boss.
It then pushes it through the filter then back into the main gallery in the block.
There will be some sort of bypass to allow oil to flow past the filter directly into the main gallery if the pressure drop across the filter is to high.
Once back in the main gallery in the block it will be fed by a number of galleries to the various points that are pressure fed, like the main bearings and the cam bearings.
The galleries in the crank feed from the main journals to the big end journals.
In most engines the rest is splash fed or maybe there are some jets or nozzles to direct some flow to other points it is needed and splash does not provide enough.

my CRX thread

my intro

Last edited by patprimmer; 01-07-2010 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!
BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!

It's fine. If it was empty after JUST running it...then you'd have a BIG problem.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification