Smoke coming from under the catalytic converter - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2009, 02:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Default Smoke coming from under the catalytic converter

Hey there...I'm stumped.

I replaced my oil pan gasket because that was leaking and hitting on the exhaust causing blackish smoke. Problem solved...

I test drove it today and now there is steam/smoke coming from right around the catalytic converter. I cannot pinpoint a specific area. It is white but doesnt seem like coolant (based on my experience of smell and color). It smells more like oil but not quite and there is no oil leaking on the exhaust or from the vehicle. nothing from the valve cover, oil pan gasket, etc etc. When I turn the car OFF it starts smoking from underneath the intake manifold but I cant tell where that is coming from either.

It really seems more like steam.

It was about 90 degrees outside today. drove the car about 35 miles and the problem is intermittent. I may have hit Vtec a couple times and the issue doesnt seem to be related to Vtec.

The car isn't overheating. Coolant levels are stable. Oil isnt milky. It seems to be pulling a little weak (although I have no basis for comparison - I just bought it) but has a smooth idle. Very weak pull with the AC on but I suppose that is to be expected.

Is there anything I should be looking for that maybe I have overlooked?

I was thinking that maybe the catalytic converter is bad and the exhaust is leaking out the seal between the cat and the downpipe?
jarnld is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2009, 06:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

I got under there with a flashlight and did find some radiator fluid that seems to be coming from somewhere. It seems that there is a mix of radiator fluid and possibly oil now splattered all over the bottom of the car. Not a flood of it. just a drop here and a drop there. Any suggestions?

I know its hard to tell without looking at it but i really dont know where to go from here...I cannot locate a definite leak...please tell me it's not internal and my gasket is going bad or theres a crack!
thanks guys
Old 06-22-2009, 06:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

let me know if ya find out my car is also doing the same thing.
dejavudogg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 08:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!
BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!

2 cans of break clean...get those fluids off the exhaust and off the motor.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
I also have a cool title

Rep Power: 17 98CiviCn00b is hot as a volcano98CiviCn00b is hot as a volcano
98CiviCn00b is hot as a volcano98CiviCn00b is hot as a volcano98CiviCn00b is hot as a volcano98CiviCn00b is hot as a volcano98CiviCn00b is hot as a volcano98CiviCn00b is hot as a volcano98CiviCn00b is hot as a volcano98CiviCn00b is hot as a volcano98CiviCn00b is hot as a volcano98CiviCn00b is hot as a volcano98CiviCn00b is hot as a volcano

I had something similar to this...my problem was that i had a very small leak from the heater out coming from the firewall that was dripping down onto the the back of my header right where the cat and the header meet. You might wanna check into that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyM View Post
waiting to hear from this dude right now bout that tranny. lol...hopefully he will meet me somewhere.
98CiviCn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Ive sprayed down the engine and cleaned off all the fluids off the bottom and still cant tell. I'll check into the heater.. thanks
Old 06-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

no heater leak. I'm pretty sure its internal - leaking out the head gasket on the intake manifold side of things. Im going to take it in for a compression test this weekend and figure out what the he** is going on. Frustrating.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:07 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

I have a au2 xr6 there are no oil leaks and there is smoke coming from the converter
its not a oil smell as I kno wat I'm looking for and its not coolent smells like. Its been washed and its water on exsorst. Just burning off . Its like steam I can't find why this is doing it ??
dougie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification