Garrett Vs.Turbonetics - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2008, 08:12 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 PR93 is starting to learn the ropesPR93 is starting to learn the ropesPR93 is starting to learn the ropesPR93 is starting to learn the ropesPR93 is starting to learn the ropesPR93 is starting to learn the ropes
Default Garrett Vs.Turbonetics

Not tryin to start a war in comparing these two turbos, but just looking for some honest feedback based on experience with either of the 2.

http://i13.tinypic.com/2efmfxs.gif

<-------------- see that green dot. Thank you my D-Series Brothers
PR93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 34 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

All your gonna get is opinions in the end there both very capable turbos you just have to pick one. Now if your talking about size then there are more than opinions but just brand stop being indecisive and pick one

Project Kornfed
Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 10 vtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to allvtec_bomber is a name known to all

Both are good company so you can't go wrong with either one.
vtec_bomber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 19 mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!
mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!

I have found through "seeing is believing" on a srt4 that a Garrett GT3076R is a bad mofo!! Compared to a turbonetics turbo of the same size, Garrett just performs better. Lets also not forget that Volvo's came with Airesearch turbos....another branch of Garrett mind you. "tumbles down the rabbit hole a little further"

1993 Ford Cobra #1252 of 4993-- Bone stock

Tuning, the other bolt-on.

**Insert 95' 4dr civic...soon**
mightyjoecivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 08:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 xcthc will become famous soon enoughxcthc will become famous soon enoughxcthc will become famous soon enough

turbonetics
- only turbos out there balanced as a complete rotating assembly
- big shaft wheels
- no need for water cooling center section for ball-bearing turbos
- polished compressor covers
- 1 year warranty (drop it out your window while driving down the highway... they'll replace it)

performance wise is a tough-call however. i'm sure they're very similar.
xcthc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 09:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....

I haven't looked at Turbonetics in awhile; but aren't they just based off of Garrett turbos anyways?
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu16193153
K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #7 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

sick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussie

yeah thats an either or, come on....both top name brands...Also this reminds me, You cant rebuild Ball Bearings turbos??? lol wtf??? LAME... ill stay with my journal bearings in that case.
95 civic coupe ex. Vitara-hbeam Z6
New Project Built Turbo F2B F22A nonvtec into civic
93 Accord SE 4dr black9stock)
Owner @ Grab-a-Nekbrace ENT like us on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/grabanekbrace
sick1camcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 09:11 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 PR93 is starting to learn the ropesPR93 is starting to learn the ropesPR93 is starting to learn the ropesPR93 is starting to learn the ropesPR93 is starting to learn the ropesPR93 is starting to learn the ropes

as I was doin a lil research I found that the turbonetics seals go very easy

Old 07-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 7 brandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropesbrandenj is starting to learn the ropes

i say which ever you find that fits your budget or power goals
Old 07-02-2008, 10:19 AM   #10 (permalink)
jew
www.rifftrax.com

Rep Power: 11 jew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcthc View Post
turbonetics
- big shaft wheels
- 1 year warranty (drop it out your window while driving down the highway... they'll replace it)

this man isn't kidding. you can take a brand new turbonetics turbo out of the box and start beating it with a hammer and they will smile and replace it for free.

however there is one big drawback to turbonetics and PR93 mentioned it. it's really easy to blow the seals in a ball bearing turbonetics turbo. however, if you use a restrictor and monitor oil pressure at the turbo, there is no reason that this will happen. i make sure mine only sees 5-30psi and i have no problems with the seals, but my first one i ruined. of course they replaced it for free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bense View Post
Whenever I pack something up, I take all the trash out of my car and use it for padding. Hamburger boxes, beer cans, whatever...A lot of times I'll even grab plastic bottles and put them in there. It's awesome.
My FS Thread
My WTB Thread
jew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 11:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 40 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

turbonetics = all good stuff when you follow directions, but don't follow them and your in for a "world of hurt".

garrett = also very good stuff, but more forgiving when your blind and can't read directions.

honestly, i prefer garrett for my turbos and turbonetics for my wg. never had issues going this route in my time. idk maybe i just got lucky with my parts.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:52 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Thanks guys.. rep to all

Old 07-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!
BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Garrett, Turbonetics, Precision, BW...all good in my book!
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 12:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
Shoot me!

Rep Power: 40 Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
turbonetics = all good stuff when you follow directions, but don't follow them and your in for a "world of hurt".

garrett = also very good stuff, but more forgiving when your blind and can't read directions.

honestly, i prefer garrett for my turbos and turbonetics for my wg. never had issues going this route in my time. idk maybe i just got lucky with my parts.

GO STEELERS!
Hellhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 02:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

cant you ask directly to the mfg to see what specs the oil line should be

Old 07-02-2008, 02:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
jew
www.rifftrax.com

Rep Power: 11 jew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow upjew is about to blow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR93 View Post
cant you ask directly to the mfg to see what specs the oil line should be
that's one thing that i didn't like about turbonetics. i talked to one of their guys about this before i blew the seals on my first turbo. i had their full kit with an unmodded y8 oil pump. i had read that with ball bearing turbos you wanted to reduce oil pressure to 30psi or less.

when i called turbonetics i told the guy that i was getting around 50-60psi at the turbo and that i thought that was a little high, but he told me that the oil lines that came with the kit would restrict the flow enough and that a restrictor was not needed. he was full of shit. they replaced the turbo when i blew the seals, but i decided to add a oil restrictor on the new one and i haven't had a problem in over a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bense View Post
Whenever I pack something up, I take all the trash out of my car and use it for padding. Hamburger boxes, beer cans, whatever...A lot of times I'll even grab plastic bottles and put them in there. It's awesome.
My FS Thread
My WTB Thread
jew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2008, 04:56 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes

Bullseyepower Is what you now.

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread/2331157

Contact me or rota92 on H-T and we can set you up with one. Or Let Turbodano know we sent you.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/rs16.jpg
1992Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2008, 01:57 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 RickyLee53 is learning the way of the DRickyLee53 is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcthc View Post
turbonetics
- big shaft wheels

I've never had a 'netics turbo.

But some mates have, and they've had bit's of engine go through them and had them replaced under warranty.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification