Honda D Series Forum banner

how much boost before having to switch over to e85 or race fuel or running meth/water

3K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  JGTC-EG 
#1 ·
i was wondering how much boost can i get away with without having to run e85 or race fuel or running water/meth injection on pump gas? my motor consist of y7 block with z6 head
eagle rods
vitara 75.5 piston
comp cam valve springs
crower stage 2 na for now waiting on my delta 272-2 to get back and then retune wanting to run higher boost on pump gas
ported head
stock IM and TB
sls top mount manifold
bullseye s256 turbo
as of now im running 18-19 lbs on pump gas but wanting to up the boost when i switch the cam over to make more power but unsure of how much i can run and be able to get away with it just by running pump. since this is my dd car and i take it everywhere i go long trips and it will be almost impossible to run e85 i just want to be able to get gas everywhere. its making 302whp and 246 tq im hopeing to be somewhere 370 if not more if possible just running pump gas also up the boost if possible and by switching the cams

#6 ·
Ok, my first reply was a little snarky but in all fairness also completely serious and true. Boost pressure is not the number that you should be hung up on that's not the one that kills the engine ... horsepower, on the other hand, is. While the two are directly related boost pressure (psi, bar, pascals ... however you want to measure it) is a figure that all too many people get hung up on. The limitations of the fuel do not come into play according to the amount of boost you are pushing ... they limit the amount of horsepower you can make. PSI is also a relatively meaningless statistic because that isn't what makes power either ... it's CFM (the amount of air the turbo pushes, rather than how pressurized it is) it may push X CFM at Y PSI ... but in that equation CFM is the number that matters.

#14 ·
fuck water meth....nitrous has the same effect but also adds power :)

#15 ·
the only advantage of race fuel over meth is meth can spray unevenly cylinder to cylinder and also if you run out and dont have a fail safe mode say goodbye to your motor. lol

But its way cheaper than race fuel, and Im sure the reason 90% build d's is cause its cheaper so this would be the best route lol

#17 ·
JD, Tom swell, and David B all agree that a nice safe limit om pump 93 is low 300's. They also feel that 93 from one state to another seems to not really be 93. Altitude, weather, and part of count also plays a factor, thus why they agree best bet is to keep it low 300's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.