D16 turbo - lack of low end power - Page 2 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2011, 03:30 PM   #21 (permalink)
i am introvert

2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....

lightweight flywheel has nothing to do with the fact that he is lacking tq once he takes off, who ever tuned it, did they set the timing back to factory spec on both mechanical, and at the dizzy for you got it tuned?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheasekhatch View Post
Fucking sweet! your last names sweet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheasekhatch View Post
as for make up sex and squashing it is like jacking a bob cat off with barbwire..it aint as easy or fun as it sounds.
2drz6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2011, 07:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
n00b

My car is doing the same thing. No power from idle to about 3k.

90 civic hatch, 1.5 bottom end and 1.6 non v si top end with internals.
head and intake port matched
full exhaust
mpfi
4spd

I've been looking into this all afternoon, it's a timing issue. Don't know why from there though. Looking into it more tomorrow unless someone on here can help.

What's happening when you hit the throttle, the timing is advancing like a mofo. Can't tell how much but it's like 20 deg above TDC. If your gentle on the gas the timing will stay BTDC up the RPM range. I've checked engine, valve and ignition timing. Everything is on point. This issue has been creeping up on my car over some time, and I've kept advancing timing to compensate for lack of lower end power, which has been working, but this isn't what I want, I'd like to have the car working properly. With the TPMS sensor unplugged, the car still reacts the same way.

Unless I'm wrong about engine workings, timing should retard under initial throttle and then advance from there, and shouldn't go to far above TDC.
munkyx8344 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 07:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98dxNooby View Post
Makes sense to me

Unless this happens YouTube - &#x202a;honda crx blows engine puerto rico&#x202c;&rlm;<<hahahaha never gets old :P
holy fucking SHIT!
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 07:15 PM   #24 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 8 hotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatness

Idk if any civic has power before 3k

PM for ECU Chipping/Socketing and Repair, Cheap
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MacK View Post
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......

Last edited by hotrodj; 05-28-2011 at 07:21 PM.
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
n00b

It's got to be a sensor of some sort. Does anyone know if TPS or Map have anything to do with timing and if so could one or both of them be the issue with the timing advancing under initial throttle? Haven't gotten to test the the TPS but if the map sensor is unplugged or taken off vaccume the car runs like crap. I could be wrong but I wouldn't think TPS affected timing. Fuel maybe but timing not so much
Old 05-29-2011, 01:02 AM   #26 (permalink)
D-series lover

Ignition timing set to factory specs. Cam gear hasn't checked yet. Will check it soon.
Front big intercooler
Ebay turbo T3/T4 - A/R 50. boost ~ 0.5 bar
TIAL wastegate
Ebay Exhaust manifold + 2.5" straight pipe
Turbo Ibiza muffler
Greddy type s BOV
P28 street tuned
RC550 injectors
S20 B000 tranny
JRSC_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 04:29 AM   #27 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 14 xile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcano
xile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcano

Whats the afr during these rpm? Maybe ur running to rich till boost kicks in?
Round 2 Runing!!!
AEM FIC Guide
xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 05:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
D-series lover

I dunno the afr during these RPMs. It will be checked. but I think the problem isn't there, by the fact the the car behaves like that even when bone stock, with stock map.
Hope to check timing on the cam gear side today.
Front big intercooler
TIAL wastegate
Turbo Ibiza muffler
Greddy type s BOV
P28 street tuned
RC550 injectors
S20 B000 tranny
Old 05-29-2011, 06:36 AM   #29 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 34 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

My guess is the tune is super conservative in that area of the map or your timing is off. None of my turbo motors ever felt sluggish or lacking power in the low to mid range even with super shitty vitara compression. How many Hondas has your tuner tuned?

Project Kornfed
Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 07:22 AM   #30 (permalink)
D-series lover

The tuner is very reputable in my area. Just need to mention that the tune hasn't been finished yet.
I bought the car with the turbo kit already installed, and it had a chip that made some problems, like jumpy RPMs at certain throttle posion, etc. even with that chip, the problem been there, even when the car was stock, it was like that.

I'll check the stuff you told me here guys, and update soon.
Front big intercooler
TIAL wastegate
Turbo Ibiza muffler
Greddy type s BOV
P28 street tuned
RC550 injectors
S20 B000 tranny
Old 05-29-2011, 07:31 AM   #31 (permalink)
gonzo

sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....sxysweed It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Why are you only running like 7psi?
sxysweed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 08:26 AM   #32 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 7 DarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to all

T
Ii
Mmm
Iiiii
Nnnnnn
Ggggggg!!!!

YOU DON'T NEED A CAMBER KIT YOU NEED AN ALIGNMENT.
DarkCreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 08:46 AM   #33 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 9 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all

probably overly rich in that area, people would be amazed how much proper AFR in the lower rpm range effects torque.

even as rich as 13:1 afr will make the car feel very sluggish and hard to get moving at low engine speeds.

you probably should do a compression test at the very minimum, i dont care if the motor is fresh and runs perfect yada yada. my car was running PERFECT, my only complaint was it felt weak out of boost, although it idled perfectly and had no misfires or anything else when i did the compression test i found 90-145-145-140, should have been 185-185-185-185.....

cam timing would also be a good thing to check.
Old 05-29-2011, 08:59 AM   #34 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

i agree with DarkCreep and schardbody..

something easy to try, but you should be careful not to do it past 3k.. is advance your distributor as far as you can. (this will make your timing past 3k pretty agressive and why i said not to do it past 3k rpm).. listen for any pinging. and stop if you do hear any. if it feels better, than its obviously timing and you'll need to get your tuner to add more timing from 1k to 3k. BE VERY CAREFUL. you dont want to ping under boost.

also set your crankshaft pully to TDC. and check to make sure your cam gear is lined up properly. if the cam has slipped a tooth... you're going to have issues.

and do a compression check.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:39 AM   #35 (permalink)
n00b

Ok so I looked into my problem with the same type of issue today in the light. It's all in the timing. I'm not boosted but I had the same issue. The timing is probably set to the wrong mark. I marked TDC on the crank pully but forgot that there are 3 more timing marks also. Stupid me, I couldn't see any of the other 3 last night in the dark. Had to expand my distributer holes a little, but i set timing to 20 deg before TDC and now the car pulls like a champ. No more problem in the lower RPM.
Old 05-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 14 xile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcano
xile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by munkyx8344 View Post
Ok so I looked into my problem with the same type of issue today in the light. It's all in the timing. I'm not boosted but I had the same issue. The timing is probably set to the wrong mark. I marked TDC on the crank pully but forgot that there are 3 more timing marks also. Stupid me, I couldn't see any of the other 3 last night in the dark. Had to expand my distributer holes a little, but i set timing to 20 deg before TDC and now the car pulls like a champ. No more problem in the lower RPM.
Doesnt sound right. The timing should be 16* for most obd1 and 12* for obd2. I never heard of a motors using 20
Round 2 Runing!!!
AEM FIC Guide
xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 03:09 PM   #37 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!
BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Sounds like timing/tune, plus a possible exhaust leak seeing you are running an Ebay turbo manifold.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 03:28 PM   #38 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 9 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by xile6 View Post
Doesnt sound right. The timing should be 16* for most obd1 and 12* for obd2. I never heard of a motors using 20
those numbers are OEM though, if using a stock ecu this is the only way to get more timing, i've found most b7s and z6s like about 4 advance on 87 octane, this is still a safe range and gives a descent bump in torque. if using any type of EMS doing it in the ignition maps will equal the same thing.
Old 05-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #39 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 7 DarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to allDarkCreep is a name known to all

What if he removes BOV to cause a huge boost leak, set timing to OEM spec, and then connects OE ECU and see if the problem is still there?

YOU DON'T NEED A CAMBER KIT YOU NEED AN ALIGNMENT.
DarkCreep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-29-2011, 08:09 PM   #40 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 10 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano

Could be gear ratio... your rocking an A000 which is smaller bearing trans case, and could be a DX or vx/cx trans.... i know my lame VX trans has shit low power...

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79hilux90crx View Post
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification