Driving long distance with a turbo-charged car - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Talking Driving long distance with a turbo-charged car

Hey everybody I was just wondering if it'll be safe to drive far distance (lets say 300-500 miles) with a turbo car? Thanks in advance!
Xv56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2010, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 50 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

If you've got everything cooling properly it shouldn't be a problem. If you're staying out of the throttle you should do fine!
awebb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 10:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
The House that Trevor Built.

Rep Power: 50 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

its fine. people drive long distances on their 1.8T VW's all the time.

Playin Sega and Slammin Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
Dyno tuning/welding/fabrication/installations
Evolution Auto Performance - 604.460.7969
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 7 Dmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to allDmc971989 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
lies... everyone knows that those cars can only travel 50 miles at a time before they have to stop and let them cool down
Dmc971989 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 JDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to allJDQuikSIR is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
lol....which are still slow. If you got all proper cooling down...you shouldnt really have any issues unless you are boosting hard the whole way...but who knows, even then if you got a reliable setup..it should still be fine...
JDQuikSIR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 10:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 50 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmc971989 View Post
lies... everyone knows that those cars can only travel 50 miles at a time before they have to stop and let them cool down
I lol'd!!!
awebb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #7 (permalink)
i am introvert

2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....2drz6 Still a JDM Star....

make sure everything is tite n no leaks anywhere
2drz6 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 12:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 5 boosted89crx is learning the way of the Dboosted89crx is learning the way of the D

my buddy has a 1.8t its soo slow and hes diehard vw god they are stupid but yea long distances are fine boosted91 on here sold his 600 whp hatch to a kid in fla that flew up to pa and drove the car all the way home...
Old 03-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 stiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eaglestiffdogg06 is fly like an eagle

I drove my 330whp civic down to Import Alliance in Nashville from Columbus, Ohio.

If it's built fine, it'll be ok. If it was half assed, good luck.

434whp/332ftlbs D16Y8 GT3076R 27psi Meth Fed - 2010

2006 Nighthawk Black Pearl Acura TL
stiffdogg06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

As long as your car isn't running hot/has proper AFR's it will be fine. If anything you will get better mileage, as your fuel is getting atomized
OMGVtec is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #11 (permalink)

Import Alliance ftw.

And it depends on cooling/tuning.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:44 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 7 90dirtydsi is approaching greatness90dirtydsi is approaching greatness90dirtydsi is approaching greatness90dirtydsi is approaching greatness90dirtydsi is approaching greatness90dirtydsi is approaching greatness90dirtydsi is approaching greatness90dirtydsi is approaching greatness90dirtydsi is approaching greatness90dirtydsi is approaching greatness90dirtydsi is approaching greatness90dirtydsi is approaching greatness90dirtydsi is approaching greatness

I'd be careful boosting it after it's been running for a few hours, seems like it's be more likely to break if heat soaked. That said I've raped 2 different heavily modified turbo cars for 5+ >300 mile road trips and never had a problem. Now that I think about it, I spun a bearing the first time I went on a turbo road trip but it had mad oil leaks.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 40 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

drove cross country in mine. three day trip total, i pulled over to rest for 20 mins when the oil pressure would start to dip a bit. when i sold the block a few months later, it was in perfect shape (it even had a BG in it )
Old 03-17-2010, 03:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Hi hater!

Rep Power: 34 Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Boosted-EH-804 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I DD'ed my turbo rex and took many of trips in it as long as everything is good you should be fine

Project Kornfed
Boosted-EH-804 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 09:17 AM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 436 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I took a day trip to Seattle for the NW d-series meet(504m round trip according to Google) and my car did great. In fact, it was a spare motor I had thrown in the weekend before and only had about 3 days driving it to get the bugs sorted out. It smoked like a bitch, and found out when I got home that I had 3 broken ringlands the whole time

Still left some nasty stripes on the main drag in Puyallup on the way home, lol

Delta Cam, best bang for your buck!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../made_Ryan.png
ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 09:23 AM   #16 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

JosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the skyJosA is about to kiss the sky

I just drove 75miles at 90mph boosting 8psi up hills to the hospital.

When I got off the exit my car was idling weird. My friend says I could have fried a ringland. I havent found my compression tester to check.

Stock z6 w/ 236k miles. Tuned very conservative.

I guess it's time to drop in the built d15b I've been putting off :/

(There isnt any smoke. But lots of oil around the head/block.)

JosA's D15B Buildup <---

DownStar Inc <--- For sick a$$ bolts!
JosA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #17 (permalink)
The House that Trevor Built.

Rep Power: 50 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx View Post
I took a day trip to Seattle for the NW d-series meet(504m round trip according to Google) and my car did great. In fact, it was a spare motor I had thrown in the weekend before and only had about 3 days driving it to get the bugs sorted out. It smoked like a bitch, and found out when I got home that I had 3 broken ringlands the whole time

Still left some nasty stripes on the main drag in Puyallup on the way home, lol
hahaha nice dude.

reminds me of driving down to speedfactory from canada, jumping on the dyno after a 30 minute rest, then driving back home on a blown head gasket.

Playin Sega and Slammin Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
Dyno tuning/welding/fabrication/installations
Evolution Auto Performance - 604.460.7969
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 11:20 AM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Thumbs up Thanks

Thanks for all the input guys!
Xv56 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 11:31 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!
patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!

There are lots and lots of factory turbos out there that are daily drivers and get driven or even enduro raced for hours on end. Nissan Skyline GTR, Subaru WRX, Mitsubishil Lancer, Toyota Supra, almost every large diesel truck to mention a few.

So long as the power output is not to high and as others have said, so long as the tune is good and the cooling systems (water and oil) are up to the power level and the installation is OEM quality, all will be fine.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread
http://www.d-series.org/forums/dohc-...storation.html

my intro
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...y-project.html
patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2010, 11:51 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 sohc-gT will become famous soon enoughsohc-gT will become famous soon enoughsohc-gT will become famous soon enough

used to make several ny-fl trips per year with my stock internal d15b vtec with greddy kit in an ex coupe. no problems and it was fun still retaining the a/c and cruise control.

My vitara setup would run fine for a couple months before it would have serious engine problems. fix that and new problem arises either with the turbo, oil line fittings, or engine problems. GL to anyone that plans long distance trips with built engines with big turbos.
12.8@104mph slicks 10/6

92 civic hatch
stock d16y8 18psi 15g
R.I.P. 3/12/8
250whp 221wtq 12.5@110mph
Vitara build 44trim ebay setup
R.I.P. 8/9
325whp 210wtq 20psi 11.7@121
sohc-gT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification