Honda D Series Forum banner

Homemade Race Fuel

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  mindless 
#1 ·
For all you guys out there who run really high boost, advanced timing, or have a race gas setting I thought this may be useful and would like to know if anyone can confirm this

Formula #1 - Toluene
R+M/2.........114
Cost...........$2.50/gal
Mixtures with 92 Octane Premium
10%...........94.2 Octane
20%...........96.4 Octane
30%...........98.6 Octane
Notes: Common ingredient in Octane Boosters in a can. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Often costs $3-5 for 12-16 ounces, when it can be purchased for less than $3/gal at chemical supply houses or paint stores.

Formula #2 - Xylene
R+M/2.........117
Cost...........$2.75/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........97.0 Octane
30%...........99.5 Octane
Notes: Similar to Toluene. 12-16 ounces will only raise octane 2-3 *points*, i.e. from 92 to 92.3. Usually mixed with Toluene and advertised as *race formula*.

Formula #3 - Methyl-tertiary-butyl-ether (MTBE)
R+M/2.........118
Cost...........$3.50/gal
10%...........94.6 Octane
20%...........97.2 Octane
30%...........99.8 Octane
Notes: Oxygenate. Very common in octane booster products. Has lower BTU content than toluene or xylene, but oxygenate effect makes the gasoline burn better and produce more energy.

Formula #4 - Methanol or Ethanol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60 - $1.75/gal
10%...........94.3 Octane (Methanol)
10%...........94.7 Octane (Ethanol)
20%...........Not Recommended
Notes: Methanol is wood alcohol. Ethanol is grain alcohol and found in Gasohol in 10% ratios. Both alcohols are mildly corrosive and will eat gas tank linings, rubber and aluminum if used in excessive ratios. Main ingredient in "Gas Dryers", combine with water.

Formula #5 - Isopropyl Alcohol and Tertiary Butyl Alcohol
R+M/2.........101
Cost...........$0.60-$1.50/gal
10%...........94.5 Octane
20%...........Not Recommended
30%...........Not Recommended

Notes: Similar to Methanol/Ethanol. Isopropyl Alcohol is simply rubbing alcohol.

Sample Mixture
To make your own octane booster, it is easiest to make up a large batch, and then bottle it up in "dosage-size" uses.
Below is the basic formula of one of the popular octane booster products. To make eight 16 ounce bottles (128 oz = 1 gal):

100 oz of toluene for octane boost
25 oz of mineral spirits (cleaning agent)
3 oz of transmission fluid (lubricating agent)
This product is advertised as "octane booster with cleaning agent *and* lubricating agent!". Diesel fuel or kerosene can be substituted for mineral spirits and light turbine oil can be substituted for transmission fluid. Color can be added with petroleum dyes.

See less See more
Reactions: jollyroger494
#2 ·
where did you get this info? good info tho either way!

#6 ·
people at g2ic.com were doing this for along time and often said they find xylene for $15-20. not in my area shit was expensive. whole sale price around here in nyc was $30 a gallon at a paint shop. paint thinner can be used as race fuel too but its mixed with other compounds.

#5 ·
Dave Coleman/Jay Chen wrote an article on octane boosters in Sport Compact Car magazine. Super street also ran the article. Toluene/Xylene
are cheap but anything more then a 30% mixture with gas you'll do harm and no good. Anyways moral of the article was that bottled octane boosters are worthless and the benefits aren't worth carrying around a couple gallons of paint thinners. Just buy race gas.

#7 ·
Toluene varies from 15-20$ a gallon and 5-7$ per quart. I saw Xylene for around 30$ give or take. Not cheap stuff. And its not easy getting a solid octane number either. Those are all rough estimates or you could say "in perfect conditions" would be the only time those numbers are accurate.

#10 ·
around here a gallon of C16 is $22.

shits pricey.

i messed around with Toluene/methanol/iso mixed in with 94 for a while....

lets just say that my waste gate boost source line broke in half and my stock block was still good after... :)

#12 ·
Bah they sell cam2 10 seconds from my house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.