Honda D Series Forum banner

D16z6 Evo3 16g Build

65K views 326 replies 60 participants last post by  10SecRex 
#1 · (Edited)
D16z6 Evo3 16g Build. Video Finally!

Sold my Rex and bought a 99 civic ex. I figured i wanted a little something newer. I posted on Turbod16 and will also post here so i can get some encouragement going. :) Goal here is 300+ whp and hoping for 120 traps. This is on a semi-budget build.

UPDATE: RIPPER VIDS ON PAGE 8-9

Set-up:
D16z6 - have
ARP Head Studs - have
Eagle H Beams - have
YCP Vitara 75MM - have
MHI EVO3 16g - have
Ebay Cast Iron Mani - have
KineticMotorsports Adapter Plate - have
PTE 680cc's - have
Hondata S300 - have
Xenocron DIY 4Bar Map Sensor - have
OBD2-1/P28 - have
Walbro 255 HP Fuel Pump - have
Custom 3" DP to QTP Elec 3" Cut Out - have
Stock Catback - have
Tial 38mm Wastegate - have
Tial Knock-Off BOV (evanstuning) - have
Zex Compcam (59300) - have
LSD Clutch - have
Innovate WB LC-1 with DB Gauge - have
Ebay (Just-Intercooler)
-2.5" Intercooler Piping Kit - have
-29x11x3 intercooler - have

Not too sure on what clutch to get yet. Anyone tried the ACT F1 clutch kit yet? If so, how did it hold up?

Some pictures here to follow...

Had to remove some material so that the allen bolts will clear the ex housing.

See less See more
#2 ·
seems like a good setup, cant wait to see it done :D im workin on a y7 turbo build on my 96 coupe.... so ill be right there with ya.

here's my build thread if you care to check it out...http://www.d-series.org/forums//showthread.php?t=106192

good luck on the build and I look forward to see it get put together.

#12 ·
Got some work done today. I have a tight schedule, going to school full time and working full time is tough but i manage to tear the whole z6 apart today. Heads are going to the machine shop to get some work done. Crank is in excellent condition and on its way to get micro polish with ACL bearings. Sleeves looks great too, i can still see the factory cross hones. I will be honing the sleeves myself for the FJ 75mm Vitara/rod custom combo.

Some pictures of the head.

#16 · (Edited)
whats the weight gonna be on your car? 300 whp in a full weight 90 crx si was only able to get me 119 at almost sea level. and that was using a bastard 20g turbo which is a big16g tdo5 housing ported to hold a 20 g comp wheel. the evo turbo you chose should be able to get you in the 300 ball park safely.

#18 ·
your not rebuilding your vavetrain huh? you just gonna keep it all stock... Im doin the same thing, only thing im worried about with these big turbees is the boost lag, hopefully we will get plenty of full boost out of them to redline. if not may have to put some stronger springs and retainers in... :D should be FUN either way :D

#21 · (Edited)
One of the reasons why i didn't want a t3-series turbo because of the lag. Im not a big fan of it and i think the evo3 will suit me better for the streets as this will not be a drag car. But hey if you got the money and want a big turbo with less lag, you can always opt for a dual bb turbo or spend the money on a PNP head.

And yes i am leaving my valve train stock, only upgrade will be done is the zex comp cam 59300 cam.

#26 ·
#28 ·
I didnt say you cant make power with 2.5in exhaust I just know how my car reacts when I run with my cut out closed and then open its like driving 2 totally different cars. So if he put down 460 on 2.5 he would have made more power with a simple cut out. And I totally agree with you about the mitsu turbo's on the singles cant compare the 2 at all.

#29 ·
do you run the same tune for open dp? if not dont it run richer when closed compared to when open? cause that alone will make a nice change in how it feels.

#41 ·
What exhaust manifold were you using?

That's a nice midrange power improvement over the 16g. I really think a D16 around that power range is incredibly fun to drive.

I agree with you that the TD05 is choking the 20g. Infact I don't like that "bastard" combo at all. However a TD06 20g is fairly pricey and a used Evo 16G can be had for $250-$300 making it IMO a very good turbo choice for a D16.

#43 · (Edited)
Alright, got my z6 head back from the machine shop today. Cleaned up valves, hot tanked, glass bead, and decked. Looks good and ready to be assemble tomorrow. My intercooler piping and BOV are also coming in. I also got my 255 hp walbro today also. Here are some pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.