Head gasket or bad radiator cap? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Forced Induction

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2009, 04:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

areskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the sky
Default Head gasket or bad radiator cap?

engine d16zc sohc vtec (vitara-eagle setup)
Boosted 12psi
Chrome tuned

About 1 year ago the car had this issue that it would overheat and push the water to the overflow tank. changed everything and resulted to be a bad head gasket.

Now, considering I put a new head gasket 1 year ago and upgraded to ARP studs, I'm having the same issue of the water in the overflow tank... but guess what? I'm having no overheats and had none before this happen.
No coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant. No white smoke, no coolant smell.

I have a koyo rad about 2 years old installed. I bought a new rad cap but it doesn't fit very well and actually it blew more water than before.

Can it just be a faulty radiator cap?

2Y 10M days without smoking
Join me http://www.d-series.org/forums/showt...18#post1487318
areskzc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
The House that Trevor Built.

Rep Power: 50 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

well the rad cap is what holds the pressurized coolant in the rad, and when it reaches a specific level, it lets it by.

if the rad cap doesnt fit well, the coolant will bypass it.

was the old cap cracked or anything?

a good way to tell if your HG is blown is a leakdown test. look for bubbles in the coolant.

Playin Sega and Slammin Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
Dyno tuning/welding/fabrication/installations
Evolution Auto Performance - 604.460.7969
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2009, 04:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

areskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the skyareskzc is about to kiss the sky

hi danz!
the rad cap was not craked but I knoe over time springs can loose their "spring rate" property specially if they are constantly under hot temperatures.
No sadly the new rad cap I purchased had the "thread wings" too wide and won't sit right into the rad. So I kinda forced it and I guess it doesn't mate very well the rad bottom's neck. So I swapped back the old one.

Yeah I'm looking foward to have a leakdown test as I did last time. $10 worthy vs change random ipotetical damaged parts.

Last time when the rad will be quite empty it will overheat almost immediately. This time looks I had no overheats. weird as hell.
I hope my cylinders walls are ok and may be just a bad HG.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 19 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano

so did the old cap help?

deck and head surface good?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 19 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano

so did the old cap help?

deck and head surface good?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

I dunno if it's the cap just broken and doesn't allow the water to return or I have a leaking HG. On monday I will def. go for a leak test

Old 01-18-2009, 12:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
The House that Trevor Built.

Rep Power: 50 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

i wouldnt worry about the overflow filling up as long as there is still coolant in the system. mine changes with the seasons....

just make sure the rad is aways full.

Playin Sega and Slammin Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
Dyno tuning/welding/fabrication/installations
Evolution Auto Performance - 604.460.7969
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2009, 01:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Its probably the radiator cap!!!Let us know though!!!
DJSORTS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

No man, the overflow tank is getting full to the top and the rad empty... So tomorrow (monday) i will take the car to a Radiators shop and have it leak tested to see if my HG is bad. If OK I can assume it's just a bad rad cap and proceed to buy a new one.

Old 01-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Pyro336 It's a JDM Star Bitches....Pyro336 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

[QUOTE=areskzc;1509548]No sadly the new rad cap I purchased had the "thread wings" too wide and won't sit right into the rad. So I kinda forced it and I guess it doesn't mate very well the rad bottom's neck. So I swapped back the old one.[QUOTE]

When you did that ^^^^^you may have stripped or messed up the radiator neck, check the top of the plastic neck for damage, if it is even a new cap won't seat correctly.

You Rep Me, and I'll Rep You Back!!!!!
Pyro336 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2009, 07:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

[QUOTE=Pyro336;1510176][QUOTE=areskzc;1509548]No sadly the new rad cap I purchased had the "thread wings" too wide and won't sit right into the rad. So I kinda forced it and I guess it doesn't mate very well the rad bottom's neck. So I swapped back the old one.
Quote:

When you did that ^^^^^you may have stripped or messed up the radiator neck, check the top of the plastic neck for damage, if it is even a new cap won't seat correctly.
I see your point, but no damage on it.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

yo i see this problem all the time at the shop i work at. the best thing to do is a coolant presser test, let it sit for a bout 10 min and watch it close. if you lose presser then it would be the head gasket for sure if there is no visible leaks.
turbozc_rex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

ok went to the rad shop and had the leak test.
The guyn put the tube thing on teh radiator opening and set it like 3 minutes, no bubbles. After that I went inside the car and revved to create a little boost. Still no bubbles...

I went away happy. and bought a new radiator cap. I had to buy one at advance auto aprts. and it's was a generic 16psi. ( I checked the Haynes manual and it says it good to 13 to 18psi so I got it.)
went for a ride test it... we are at the same start point!

Now I think the leakdown test sould be monitored for a full cool down cycle?
Why am I not having any overheat???

Old 01-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 50 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

since the first post of yours i'm suspecting a bad hg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000redCIVICsi View Post
All hail Edd, the Wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Rican Mob hit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammer View Post
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXCivic View Post
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.
rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...-ed-build.html

my dyno compe build:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ike-build.html
eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddcartes View Post
since the first post of yours i'm suspecting a bad hg.
eddie, agx are no go for me now instead if you guys work Cometic and Bisimoto thermal gasket those are my priorities now. gimme a call!

Old 01-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Well since I made the car manual I could not have some fun
- the massive oil leak FIXED
- Busted a brand new (not OEM) throw out bearing
- and now a possible HG

considering APRs are on, gasket is less than 2 years old and I'm just boosting at 12psi.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:12 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Y8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like Borat

first off i wanna know what kind of compression your getting...a leakdown test is moreso for checking for bent valves....second..did u do your pressure test when your engine was HOT, AND completely COLD?!? chances u will find something differnt....remember how aluminum acts depending on TEMPERTURE!
Old 01-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Sorry I misunderstood what you guys referred to a leak down test.

I had a Combustion Leak Test which is done to the radiator.

I'm not convinced by how the guy made the test. I'm gonna get it done again at other rad shop for longer time. (at least 2 radiator water cycles).

I'm believing I may have a warped head or a gasket bad installation. I believe I'm having the water pushed to the reservoir only UNDER BOOST. So the chances are that I have a leak of combustion gasses to the cooling but not either way. Also I cheked the oil again and no milky signs. No funky smells from the exhaust. and coolant is not missing it's just moving to the tank.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Y8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like BoratY8pwrdEf smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by areskzc View Post
Sorry I misunderstood what you guys referred to a leak down test.

I had a Combustion Leak Test which is done to the radiator.

I'm not convinced by how the guy made the test. I'm gonna get it done again at other rad shop for longer time. (at least 2 radiator water cycles).

I'm believing I may have a warped head or a gasket bad installation. I believe I'm having the water pushed to the reservoir only UNDER BOOST. So the chances are that I have a leak of combustion gasses to the cooling but not either way. Also I cheked the oil again and no milky signs. No funky smells from the exhaust. and coolant is not missing it's just moving to the tank.
yea most likely ur HG is gone....same thing was happening with my cousins car a while back...it only pushed coolant under boost and there was no symptoms like you said...is ur crankcase vented properly?
Old 01-19-2009, 08:48 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y8pwrdEf View Post
yea most likely ur HG is gone....same thing was happening with my cousins car a while back...it only pushed coolant under boost and there was no symptoms like you said...is ur crankcase vented properly?
yes, I use a DIY made by vtecduck.
(pcv and VC vent to husky catch can and then to preturbo)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification