HOW TO: Wire Speeduino standalone ecu to your Honda - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Management

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2016, 10:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 5 evo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default HOW TO: Wire Speeduino standalone ecu to your Honda

Still Under Construction.....

How to: Install Speeduino Standalone ECU into Honda/Acura

Disclaimer: I am not an engineer or professional mechanic, tuner or mechanic, use the information here at your own risk. I am not responsible for any damage that may be caused to you or your car. Lastly check your local laws, as this may not be a legal modification in some areas.

I have had quite a few requests in the past to make a write up on installing Speeduino into a Honda D series B series or pretty much any OBD 1 Honda. The info here can be used in an obd2 Honda with a few tweaks.
In this write up I will be covering the v0.4 series of Speeduino but the same information can be used with the V0.3 series. The only difference is the pin orientation/naming on the board, but it’s all the same.

What is Speeduino?

Speeduino is a low cost engine Standalone Management System (EMS) based on the Arduino platform. The project was created by a gentle man by the name of Josh Stewart from Australia. The project is open source which means that it is free to be modified while respecting the terms of the license. The majority of the development and testing thus far has been done by members of the community.

What will I need to fit Speeduino into my car?

You will need a few things to get speeduino to working on your car. Some of which you need to purchase and some are optional since they can be borrowed or are just not needed.
- Assembled Speeduino V0.4 PCB board
- Arduino Mega 2560
- Assembled VR conditioner PCB
- Laptop with TunerStudio and Arduino IDE installed
- Soldering Iron and multicolour 20-22 ga Automotive wires length will be dependent on you but 24 inches will do
- 40 pin IDC Breakout kit
- Good soldering iron
- Solder
- Solder sucker
- Ignition timing light
- Time and lots of patience
- Ecu Pinout and wiring diagram for your car/engine
- Time and lots of patience…………

The Speeduino PCB, VR Conditioner PCB can all be purchased assembled from the Speeduino store *************link**********. Read below for links for Tunerstudio and Arduino IDE software download. Soldering iron, solder, solder sucker and timing light can all be found at most automotive stores or amazon. Pinouts and diagrams can be found with a google search.

Wiring it all up

Here are the connections from Speeduino and where they are supposed to go on your Car. The V0.4 uses two pins to carry the fuel injector wire so are gonna have to add a small piece of wire to your existing injector wire from your harness to essentially double the wire. You can do it this way or just use one pin like I did. It’s up to you. The V0.4 has 4 pins for ground. I only used 2 of them; you can use any 2 of your choice and leave the other 2 unused.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3l0rsby2fb...ping.xlsx?dl=0

To connect the Speeduino to you stock harness you will need some sort of patch harness to join the two. There are many ways to do this as long as it gets the job done. On my car I currents have a “RPi GPIO Cobbler Plus Breakout Board Kit with 8" 40 Pin Ribbon Cable for Raspberry Pi 3 / Zero 1.3 / 2 / B+ / A+ (Unassembled)”

You basically solder up 2 feet long 20 or 22ga wire to the holes in the PCB which correspond to pins listed in the excel file and solder up the supplied female IDC 40 pin connector. Now you are half done with your patch harness. The other end of wires you soldered connects to your cars stock wiring harness. I spliced and soldered my harness directly to my stock harness. If you don’t want anything permanent then you can use an old ecu and cut off the connector, and solder your wires to the wires to the connector and just plug it to your stock harness.

Another method is if your car is obd2 then you and just get an obd2 o odb1 ecu jumper, cut off the male plugs and solder it to the IDC 40 pin Break out PCB and cut down your work in half.

Another method is to just get an old ecu which can connect to your stock harness, cut out the Circuit Board from the Ecu and you will be left an empty case with a female connector, install the speeduino into the case and just solder the wires to the connector to essentially have yourself a plug and play Standalone ecu.

Over the last few months I have tried a few ways of connecting the Speeduino to my stock harness and all of them have worked pretty well and all with pros and cons. You decide which is easier and more practical for you.

Getting it all working together

Now you have your New Speeduino Ecu wired in you will need go get your laptop and flash some firmware to your Speeduino. Here is how
http://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/...lling_Firmware

Now we have the firmware installed and working we need to verify that your ignition trigger is spot on. Unplug the fuel injectors, and remove your spark plugs to make it easier on your starter motor Set Cranking Advance in Tunerstudio to 16 degrees. With the timing light hooked up have a friend turn the car over and look to see how far off your timing is. Increase/decrease the trigger offset angle to get the ignition timing dead on. When this is done reconnect the injectors and spark plugs and attempt to start the car.
Here is a .msq (tune file) that will help you get going quicker.

TO BE CONTINUED……………

Last edited by evo_lucian; 11-21-2016 at 08:43 PM.
evo_lucian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 5 evo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow upevo_lucian is about to blow up

Reserved
Old 11-21-2016, 10:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Reserved.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 1 Projekt2nr smells like BoratProjekt2nr smells like BoratProjekt2nr smells like BoratProjekt2nr smells like BoratProjekt2nr smells like BoratProjekt2nr smells like Borat

whoa, i read this because i didnt recognize this and this year i started putzing around with crome, im definitely going to follow this, saw a dude on youtube running a suby coilpack and wires and a oem dizzy for cam sensing. definitely intrigued specially if it utilizes Pi
Projekt2nr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2016, 07:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Projekt2nr View Post
whoa, i read this because i didnt recognize this and this year i started putzing around with crome, im definitely going to follow this, saw a dude on youtube running a suby coilpack and wires and a oem dizzy for cam sensing. definitely intrigued specially if it utilizes Pi
that would be me. As far as I know I am the only honda running on this ECU
Old 11-21-2016, 09:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 1 Projekt2nr smells like BoratProjekt2nr smells like BoratProjekt2nr smells like BoratProjekt2nr smells like BoratProjekt2nr smells like BoratProjekt2nr smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo_lucian View Post
that would be me. As far as I know I am the only honda running on this ECU

kuddos man thats effin dope haha white ek then right?

i got a s200 hondata thats basically a paperweight is there anyway to override the unit into a pnp pi?
Old 11-22-2016, 09:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
kuddos man thats effin dope haha white ek then right?

i got a s200 hondata thats basically a paperweight is there anyway to override the unit into a pnp pi?
Yes white EK sedan. If the S200 is functional, I would sell it and use the money to get the Speeduino. If you are looking for PNP I would get a Speeduino V0.3.2 and fit in in gutted Honda OBD1 ecu case.

If the S200 is dead then just go ahead gutt the PCB board from the case and fit a V0.3.2 or V0.3.3 into it.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Fast_Eddie is a name known to allFast_Eddie is a name known to allFast_Eddie is a name known to allFast_Eddie is a name known to allFast_Eddie is a name known to allFast_Eddie is a name known to allFast_Eddie is a name known to allFast_Eddie is a name known to allFast_Eddie is a name known to all

Very awesome and informative post! Any idea what the rough total cost of all this ended up being for you?
Fast_Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2016, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

is fully functional, i can get my hands on a stock ecu what do you suggest a P06? ill totally begin building one if you wanna do a full DIY segment
Old 11-22-2016, 04:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
is fully functional, i can get my hands on a stock ecu what do you suggest a P06? ill totally begin building one if you wanna do a full DIY segment
If you planning on doing the installation in a stock ecu case ,I would do a P06 since they are cheap and plentiful.

I am more than happy to explain anything that is still unclear. I have another speeding ecu that I am planning on installing in a stock ecu case, I suppose I can get a few pics and make it a full DIY write up for you guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie View Post
Very awesome and informative post! Any idea what the rough total cost of all this ended up being for you?

I assembled and soldered my ecu myself so it was a bit cheaper for me but this is what it cost as far as I can recall

V0.4 PCB $15
Components for PCB $85
IDC breakout board $8
VR conditioner $20

So about $130 give or take but I did all the assembly and soldering myself. Now a days you can buy fully assembled boards for about $145 and it comes with a free assembled VR conditioner IIRC. Throw in another $50 for misc stuff and you set.

Last edited by evo_lucian; 11-22-2016 at 04:13 PM.
evo_lucian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2016, 08:22 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo_lucian View Post
If you planning on doing the installation in a stock ecu case ,I would do a P06 since they are cheap and plentiful.

I am more than happy to explain anything that is still unclear. I have another speeding ecu that I am planning on installing in a stock ecu case, I suppose I can get a few pics and make it a full DIY write up for you guys.

I assembled and soldered my ecu myself so it was a bit cheaper for me but this is what it cost as far as I can recall

V0.4 PCB $15
Components for PCB $85
IDC breakout board $8
VR conditioner $20

So about $130 give or take but I did all the assembly and soldering myself. Now a days you can buy fully assembled boards for about $145 and it comes with a free assembled VR conditioner IIRC. Throw in another $50 for misc stuff and you set.

where can you buy them at?
Old 11-23-2016, 07:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

You can buy PCB's , components or full kits from the speeduino store https://speeduino.com/shop/index.php

There were a few people selling PCB in the USA not sure if they still do. Components can be sourced from digikey.com or mouser.com
Old 11-23-2016, 11:36 AM   #13 (permalink)

there sold out of complete boards
Old 11-23-2016, 11:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Fantastic Post. Seriously.

The idea of being able to switch back to your stock ECU makes taking the jump to a stand alone seem less scary. I wonder if that is even practical given the modifications needed to get the speeduino to run the ignition system and tune off the wideband o2 sensor.
dpaqu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
there sold out of complete boards
New boards will be back in stock in a few weeks according to the Developers.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaqu View Post
Fantastic Post. Seriously.

The idea of being able to switch back to your stock ECU makes taking the jump to a stand alone seem less scary. I wonder if that is even practical given the modifications needed to get the speeduino to run the ignition system and tune off the wideband o2 sensor.
I went into my Speeduino experience about a year ago. At the time I had never installed or played with any standalone installation or wiring before hand. I had helped one or two friends with start up issues with other ecu like AEM EMS4 once or twice but that's it as far as ecu , wiring or tuning experience for me, total noob.

A standalone installation is nothing to be scared of, if you take your time and do your research and homework, you will never need to plug in your stock ecu again. I had speeduino on my car with a stock d15 for .months without issue.

No modifications are needed to your stock ignition system for speeduino. You can omit your stock o2 sensor all together and just use a wideband even if you go back to a stock ecu. Most widebands work with stock ecu just fine
Old 11-23-2016, 02:53 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

This is fantastic!!!

KUDOS to you. The ecu case insert style is a fantastic and clean way of making it a plug and play.

I now wish there was a direct method to maintain my built-in TCM on my obd2a 97 auto dx.

Would be cool to be able to play around a bit for a bit more power and gasmileage without breaking the bank.

How is the response time? is it faster than the stock ecu as far as reactions?

1997 Civic DX coupe ATX
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sometimes, the difficult path is the easiest path
D/B/F/H/K compression questions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

why swap? build what you have!

mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 26 mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mattliston is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

BTW, ebay is chock full of these arduino mega 2560 boards! and some are kits with extra accessories

1997 Civic DX coupe ATX

Old 11-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
you can find dead ecu's on ebay for any obd1 4 cyl honda for dirt cheap. Doesnt need only D series ecu's

1997 Civic DX coupe ATX

Old 11-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
This is fantastic!!!

KUDOS to you. The ecu case insert style is a fantastic and clean way of making it a plug and play.

I now wish there was a direct method to maintain my built-in TCM on my obd2a 97 auto dx.

Would be cool to be able to play around a bit for a bit more power and gasmileage without breaking the bank.

How is the response time? is it faster than the stock ecu as far as reactions?
with a vehicle where the stock ecu controls the stock transmission , I would do a parallel installation. what this means is that you leave the stock ecu in place and just tap the distributor and other sensor wires and connect them to speeduino. that way speeduino is essentially just doing fuel and spark or whatever you need it do and the stock ecu can do transmission control. It's not that difficult.

Response time although I have never done an intelligent side by side comparison, I can say it works as fast as needed and I have had zero issues. Perhaps one of the smarter guys on the Speeduino forums can tell you exactly how fast it is, as I'm just not that smart to know these things. I simply install them, tune them and have fun with them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.