Oil pump priming questions - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 8 Drumritter258 smells like BoratDrumritter258 smells like BoratDrumritter258 smells like BoratDrumritter258 smells like BoratDrumritter258 smells like BoratDrumritter258 smells like Borat
Default Oil pump priming questions

alright so i just got done rebuilding my h22 and i was wondering what some of you guys do after rebuildr motors to prime the oil pump. als is there anything else i should look out for when i get ready to start it up?

also i noticed the thread about using the s2000 filters would this also fit on an h22? thanks alot
Drumritter258 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Just disconnect your distributor and crank it for 5-10 seconds before starting. If you have an oil pressure gauge just crank until you get pressure.
ThePenisMightier is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 04:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!
BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Heard some people "pack" the oil pump with vasoline...but not sure where and how much it actually use though.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
nonvtak ftw

Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....

just pull the ecu fuse and crank it over a few times.

D-B-D-D-B-F-K-4G??
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 04:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 covenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grounded View Post
x2
Old 09-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK92_D16 View Post
Heard some people "pack" the oil pump with vasoline...but not sure where and how much it actually use though.
Mostly done on v8's it's a different pump style than Honda's. The correct terminology for the pump isn't coming to me now. Can someone help me out with this? The vasoline helps that style pump pick up oil. Honda's pump is like an auto trans pump and will suck up the fluid in a few seconds so pull the fuel pump relay, disconect the dist, pull the spark plug wires, what ever floats your boat and crank it for a while.
My build page
http://http://www.honda-tech.com/sho...1#post37501729
vtecbob99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 07:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePenisMightier View Post
Just disconnect your distributor and crank it for 5-10 seconds before starting. If you have an oil pressure gauge just crank until you get pressure.
I've primed two different cars with electric oil pressure gauge and never got pressure just cranking, I quess this works better with a mechanical gauge.
My build page
http://http://www.honda-tech.com/sho...1#post37501729
vtecbob99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!

You should get enough pressure just from cranking to turn off the oil idiot light, i usually crank it for enough time until that light goes off and then plug everything back in.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

Rep Power: 73 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

coat the pump gears with white grease lube, this will allow the pump to suck and prime.

Notice I said COAT, not PACK!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Quote:
Anyplace , Anywhere , Anytime
transzex is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 04:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cervan View Post
You should get enough pressure just from cranking to turn off the oil idiot light, i usually crank it for enough time until that light goes off and then plug everything back in.
That's exactly what I always do, too.
andyman97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 04:18 AM   #11 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 19 mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!
mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
coat the pump gears with white grease lube, this will allow the pump to suck and prime.

x2 of what he's saying.

1993 Ford Cobra #1252 of 4993-- Bone stock

Tuning, the other bolt-on.

**Insert 95' 4dr civic...soon**
mightyjoecivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 10:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 8 Drumritter258 smells like BoratDrumritter258 smells like BoratDrumritter258 smells like BoratDrumritter258 smells like BoratDrumritter258 smells like BoratDrumritter258 smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post

alright well what can i do if the engine is already in the car? is it possible to open the allen bolt on the back of the block and squirt some white grease down there while turning the crank?
Old 09-05-2008, 10:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
nonvtak ftw

Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....Grounded Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
for real just do this. ive done it 4 times now.

D-B-D-D-B-F-K-4G??
Grounded is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2008, 11:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 covenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow upcovenant510 is about to blow up

Quote:
for real just do this. ive done it 4 times now.
its the best way to do this
Old 09-05-2008, 01:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes

Pull the spark plugs, compression at this point is not a good thing.

Pull ecu fuse so the fuel pump won't prime or injectors won't fire.

Crank engine until you have oil pressure on your "direct reading oil pressure gauge"

It could take 30-60 seconds. I know it seems like forever...it will be the longest 30 seconds of your life.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/rs16.jpg
1992Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 07:45 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992Si View Post
Pull the spark plugs, compression at this point is not a good thing.

Pull ecu fuse so the fuel pump won't prime or injectors won't fire.

Crank engine until you have oil pressure on your "direct reading oil pressure gauge"

It could take 30-60 seconds. I know it seems like forever...it will be the longest 30 seconds of your life.
haha well i dont have an oil pressure gauge but would the oil idiot light be good enough? and when you menion compression at this point is not a good thing what do you mean by that?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:48 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumritter258 View Post
haha well i dont have an oil pressure gauge but would the oil idiot light be good enough? and when you menion compression at this point is not a good thing what do you mean by that?
Oil idiot light simply tells you that the pressure has exceeded 5psi I am using it right now since i do not have a mechanical pressure gauge.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 04:25 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes1992Si is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumritter258 View Post

You don't want compression pushing the piston down on the rod, which put pressure on the rod bearing as the crank spins until you have oil pressure.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/rs16.jpg
1992Si is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification