D15B vTec identification?? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 06:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Default D15B vTec identification??

How do I verify if I actually have a Vtec engine?

I checked out several links, and did a little extra research. If I am not mistaken, my JDM engine is a vtec. It is marked with D15B only, the non Vtecs seem to have a trailing number as in D15B6. This would explain the mysterious block off plate on the back of the head on the passenger side (about 2inch square). I am betting it was in a car that had no Vtec components so they blocked it off and it is only using 8 valves (vtec off). I may have most of the components in the car, might be a cheap upgrade to turn that thing on?

History: I bought the car, a 1994 Civic Si Hatchback, a couple days ago. When I looked at it it had an Integra LS engine in it with perf add ons. I was looking for a commuter car with better mileage. The owner knocked a thousand off if he was allowed to pull that engine and exhaust and replace with the JDM in his sons car that was recently totaled, they had just installed a JDM in it. I took the deal.

If I fell into a cool deal, and I turn on the vTec, would I lose much in the way of mileage? Any way to verify if it has vTec? From what I hear some JDM engines with vTec were not marked with the big vTec valve cover.
=====
D15B
Displacement (cc): 1493
Power (bhp@rpm): 130@6800
Torque (ft/lbs@rpm): 14.1kg/m@5200
Compression Ratio: 9.6:1
Bore (mm): 75
Stroke (mm): 84.5
Cam Design: sohc
VTEC?: yes
OBD:
Year(s) Produced: 1991-1999
In the following car(s): Honda Civic VTi (EG4)
CaptSammy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2008, 06:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 9 beater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatness

pull the vc and look at the cam....
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #4

http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...tor-build.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey89 View Post
if you go turbo ill kill you chris lol j/k
beater90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Being an old school VW guy I have never seen a Honda cam in my life. What am I looking for? From what I understand Vtec turns on additional valves, will I be looking for a moving mechanism that connects the two?

EDIT: BTW, would a non-Vtec head have the port opening for the solenoid?

Last edited by CaptSammy; 08-19-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 9 beater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatnessbeater90 is approaching greatness

well, a vtec cam will have three lobes on the intake, a primary, a secondary, and the vtec lobe, then there will be two exhaust lobes. so there will be a total of five lobes between each journal, this is on a sohc vtec. The vtec works hydraulically, when the ecu activates it, a solenoid opens and lets oil flow through the rockershaft, pushing a tiny piston into a floating vtec rocker arm, thus locking it together with the normal two intake rockers, so all three begin to ride on the larger vtec cam lobe....ingenious, and quite simple really....so many people make such a big deal out of it, vtec is primarily a marriage of two engines, an economy engine with a mild cam at lower rpms, and a performance engine with an aggresive cam at higher rpms....best of both worlds all in one engine

Quote:
Old 08-19-2008, 10:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Icarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like Borat

D15B also came non vtec....
http://www.cr-x.org/home/jdmspecs.html

there should be a solenoid on the head if its vtec
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
D15B also came non vtec....
http://www.cr-x.org/home/jdmspecs.html

there should be a solenoid on the head if its vtec
he knows that, but he thinks somebody pulled it off and put a plate over where the solenoid goes...to run it in a non vtec application, why somebody would do this is beyond me...lol So, just pull the vc and check, take about five minutes to do...

Quote:
Old 08-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Good lord.

Most simple way; spark plugs facing front=VTEC, facing back=non-VTEC. Only exception is the D16Y7; it faces the front but is non-VTEC.

The JDM D15B came in a non-VTEC variant also(similar to the D15B7). I believe SohcInWa or someone else has this.
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu16193153
K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2008, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 15 NeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcano
NeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcano

Take off the valve cover? why bother... If you motor has this it's a JDM D15B Vtec...

NeonPinHead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 01:54 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 txdohczc will become famous soon enoughtxdohczc will become famous soon enoughtxdohczc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonPinHead View Post
Take off the valve cover? why bother... If you motor has this it's a JDM D15B Vtec...
i guess you did not read. the kid said he thinks that the previous owner removed the solenoid and put a plate over it so no this head (if v-tec) does not have it. it should not have a plate if not v-tec it should be indented and wierd shaped. if it is flat then it has had a plate put on
txdohczc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 02:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Icarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by beater90 View Post
he knows that, but he thinks somebody pulled it off and put a plate over where the solenoid goes...to run it in a non vtec application, why somebody would do this is beyond me...lol So, just pull the vc and check, take about five minutes to do...
OK

I say pop the tapped cover.... some pics that might help

SOHC vtec

Vtec-e
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 07:27 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

NeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcanoNeonPinHead is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdohczc View Post
i guess you did not read. the kid said he thinks that the previous owner removed the solenoid and put a plate over it so no this head (if v-tec) does not have it. it should not have a plate if not v-tec it should be indented and wierd shaped. if it is flat then it has had a plate put on
No I don't really read most of the time, in that case he's probably the second person on here in a short amount of time who has mistaken their D15B's for Vtec when really it's a block off plate for a mechanical fuel pump, 2 bolts on plate= mechanical fuel pump, 3 bolts= vtec solenoid. You probably have a D15B that came in the Del Sol Si's. Very non-vtec. Pictures would confirm this. take any vtec motor and unplug the solenoid and see how it runs, that's how you would know you have a vtec motor but it's not connected.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 dan15b smells like Boratdan15b smells like Boratdan15b smells like Boratdan15b smells like Boratdan15b smells like Borat

it's more likely to be a vtec-e if the solenoid was removed. just check the head code. p08 = 130hp vtec. p07-1 = vtec-e
dan15b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 10:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 Taztwnpa will become famous soon enoughTaztwnpa will become famous soon enoughTaztwnpa will become famous soon enough

pinhead what exhaust manifold are you running (blue). sorry off topic.
Taztwnpa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2008, 02:19 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 o0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to all

or just look at the stamp

d15b vtec
d15b7 no tec

CodeDisplacement Power Torque Compression Bore Stroke Cam Design VTEC? OBD Production
D15A2 1488 58 0 0 sohc no 0 1984-1987 CRX HF (Carbed)
D15B 1493 130@6800 14.1kg/m@5200 9.6:1 75 84.5 sohc yes 1991-1999 Civic VTi (EG4)
D15B2 1493 92@6000 89@4500 9.2:1 75 84.5 sohc no 0 1988-1991 Civic DX/LX, CRX DX
D15B6 1493 62@4500 83@3000 9.1:1 75 84.5 sohc no 0 1988-1989 Civic HF / CRX HF
D15B7 1493 102@5900 98@5000 9.2:1 75 84.5 sohc no 1 1992-1995 Civic DX/LX
D15B8 1493 70@4500 83@3000 9.1:1 75 84.5 sohc no 1 1992-1995 Civic CX
D15Z1 1493 92@5500 97@4500 9.3:1 75 84.5 sohc yes 1 1992-1995 Civic VX

Last edited by o0Jash0o; 08-20-2008 at 02:28 PM.
o0Jash0o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 12:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taztwnpa View Post
pinhead what exhaust manifold are you running (blue). sorry off topic.
It was a regular POS turbo manifold, that was my friends car, he painted it with blue ceramic spray. I'll tell you, he does some stupid shit sometimes...
Old 08-21-2008, 01:05 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0Jash0o View Post
or just look at the stamp

d15b vtec
d15b7 no tec
That's not true. There is a non-VTEC JDM D15B(similar to the B7) and three different versions of the VTEC D15B's(3-stage, VTEC-E, and of course the regular old VTEC one).
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu16193153
K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 12:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 o0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to allo0Jash0o is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2e2vin View Post
That's not true. There is a non-VTEC JDM D15B(similar to the B7) and three different versions of the VTEC D15B's(3-stage, VTEC-E, and of course the regular old VTEC one).
dont all vtec d`s havethe spark plugs on the lower half of the vc and non tec on the top

o0Jash0o is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #18 (permalink)
n00b

Looks like NeonPinHead had it right. I pulled the valve cover and found only four lobes for each cylinder. Looks like I have a non-VTEC, but its fun anyway.

How do I order parts for this thing? AutoZone peeps seem to only be capable of looking up parts by model and year. Is there a Model and year I can give them for a non-VTEC D15B engine? In particular I need new plug wires.

Thanks again all,
Sam
Old 08-21-2008, 09:46 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 txdohczc will become famous soon enoughtxdohczc will become famous soon enoughtxdohczc will become famous soon enough

yeah its called 88-2000 civic for the plugs and wires
txdohczc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2008, 09:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txdohczc View Post
yeah its called 88-2000 civic for the plugs and wires
make sure that you get 1.6 wires, 1.5 will not fit. (such as d16a6,z6,y D15b6,b7,b2 and so on will not fit.
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification