Will a broken water pump make noise? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 thelobster will become famous soon enoughthelobster will become famous soon enough
Default Will a broken water pump make noise?

My coolant system isnt preassurizing.

example after operating the car for 20 mins i pop the hood and my hoses are still soft. I am able to take my rad cap off without releasing any air/preassure. Both my upper and lower hoses are hot. My car isnt over heating and operating at a normal temp.

if my water pump is busted would it make any noises?
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 03:34 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Whats the milleage of your car/engine? did you do any recent work on your car? Is there enough water/coolant in your engine and rad? do you see any leaks under your car from coolant? and last does it look like you have antifreeze in your oil? Depending on your water pump if blades deterioate over time from antifreeze it will still spin but not much coolant will get pumped thru the system.

D15B7 to D16 Swap: http://www.wonderbart.com/d15b7-to-d16a-engine-swap/
QShifter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 03:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 thelobster will become famous soon enoughthelobster will become famous soon enough

motor was rebuilt 1k miles ago. there is enough coolant in the rad and overflow. no leaks under my car. and no coolant in my oil that i can see.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 8 HondaPACT is learning the way of the DHondaPACT is learning the way of the D

did you bleed your cooling system? it seems like you just have a big ass air bubble in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell View Post
psi is not created equal
HondaPACT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

yes i bled it for 30 mins when i swapped motor.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
My 91 Crx Hf

Rep Power: 8 bznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eagle

does your heat work? like inside heat? cause when the waterpump goes the heater core doesn't get its supply
bznc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 05:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
OMG TOTALLY COOL TITLE!!!!

Rep Power: 24 si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....
si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....si-hatch86 Still a JDM Star....

start the car and take off the rad cap, after it gets to normal temp look and see if you can see the water moving in the rad.

RIP Pat Primmer
RIP MILO
si-hatch86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

i got heat

and ill try the movement thing later.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
My 91 Crx Hf

Rep Power: 8 bznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eagle

has it overheated yet?? see if theres some moisture building up at the bottom timing belt cover if your waterpumps leaking it'll be coming out around there..

if it hasn't overheated I'd leave it alone haha, are the radiator hoses and such new? jw
bznc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #10 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 12 green_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eaglegreen_hornet_96 is fly like an eagle

Water pump doesn't pressurize the system, it just keeps things moving enough to let the radiator do its job. The expansion of the coolant mix is what causes pressure.

My car doesn't generate any perceptible pressure, ie. it doesn't go PSSHHH when I pop the cap, but I do see a difference in coolant levels in the overflow.

There was a time when it had a small leak at the radiator on the lower hose, when the coolant expanded it would push out but that's all I would lose.

Never has my system been like that of say, a Trailblazer. Pop the overflow cap on that sucker fast enough when it's hot and you better have 2nd degree burn treatment on hand. It sprays EVERYWHERE.
green_hornet_96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

no it hasnt overheated at all.

hose is new so are the clamps
Old 05-21-2008, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_hornet_96 View Post
Water pump doesn't pressurize the system, it just keeps things moving enough to let the radiator do its job. The expansion of the coolant mix is what causes pressure.

My car doesn't generate any perceptible pressure, ie. it doesn't go PSSHHH when I pop the cap, but I do see a difference in coolant levels in the overflow.

There was a time when it had a small leak at the radiator on the lower hose, when the coolant expanded it would push out but that's all I would lose.

Never has my system been like that of say, a Trailblazer. Pop the overflow cap on that sucker fast enough when it's hot and you better have 2nd degree burn treatment on hand. It sprays EVERYWHERE.

alright good to know. i guess mine is fine since i have heat and both top and bottom hose are hot, and i havent over heated yet.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 Spriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to allSpriggan is a name known to all

if it was busted it would sound like marbles in a coffee can.

best thing to do is take off the rad cap then start the car. let it run like that and watch the radiator, when you see the coolant flush into the system start adding more in slowly until its full, the you know you are done.
Spriggan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification