Great way to remove carbon on valves!!!! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 05:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Great way to remove carbon on valves!!!!

Well i have been trying everything to get the damn carbon off of my exhaust valves paint thinner to brake fluid. I happen to have a bottle of Dominion Sure Seal Rust Remover sitting around that i used on my ford 8.8" rear end in my jeep. I let each valve sit over night in this stuff and most 90% of the carbon was gone, a quick second on the wire wheel and they were brand new.
Anyway here is the link.
http://shopping.mytelus.com/shop/pro...d_3943602.html
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2008, 06:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Icarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like Borat

I have a steel round brush that I put in my press drill and hold the valve in there.

looks like new afterwards.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 06:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

i tried holding those damn valves on the wire wheel on my bench grinder forever and it did nothing, chemical cleaning is a better idea for valves anyway, i think. I only lightly went over them after with the wire wheel.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 AllmotorD is starting to learn the ropesAllmotorD is starting to learn the ropesAllmotorD is starting to learn the ropesAllmotorD is starting to learn the ropesAllmotorD is starting to learn the ropesAllmotorD is starting to learn the ropes

I run them through the bench grinder wire wheel all the time and never had a problem and they always come clean!

ALL MOTOR D 14.39 94 mph 2.1 60'

92 Si Race Only.. On 2 year break for babies then maybe turbo
92 Lx Sedan - Now has race motor from car above
1974 Torino - For sunny sunny sunny days
2002 Silverado - cuz everyone should own a truck!
AllmotorD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 08:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

HUH, maybe i just had some really bad valves.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 AllmotorD is starting to learn the ropesAllmotorD is starting to learn the ropesAllmotorD is starting to learn the ropesAllmotorD is starting to learn the ropesAllmotorD is starting to learn the ropesAllmotorD is starting to learn the ropes

Ohhhh I have had some where I was surprised the car would rev over 2000 rpm!

Old 03-08-2008, 08:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Icarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like BoratIcarus smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazjig View Post
i tried holding those damn valves on the wire wheel on my bench grinder forever and it did nothing, chemical cleaning is a better idea for valves anyway, i think. I only lightly went over them after with the wire wheel.
I find the thicker the carbon is the harder it is to get off with bench grinder wire wheel.

I cant get hold of your rust remover, i wonder is vinegar will have the same effect?

so anyway I was bored

before

after

in the head
Old 03-08-2008, 08:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

That head looks FUCKED!!!

Old 03-08-2008, 08:53 AM   #9 (permalink)

Those valves that you cleaned look like intake valves, they are very easy to clean. I actually used permatex gasket remover, comes in a spray, just give them a shot and they are good as new. The exhaust ones are the bad ones, and i didnt try vinegar, it may work, im not even sure what the ingredients are for the rust remover.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #10 (permalink)
Shoot me!

Rep Power: 40 Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Hellhatch is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Bench grinder with a wire wheel worked great for me you must have some gooky valves how many miles on the head and how old is it.

GO STEELERS!
Hellhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

not even 200k, how long did it take you guys per valve
Old 03-08-2008, 11:36 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllmotorD View Post
That head looks FUCKED!!!
yes, its still fine though going for a skim....etc.., that what happens when old people put water in the cooling system

you should see the head gasket.

takes me about 5 - 10 min per intake valve x 8

15 min for the exhaust x 8

Last edited by Icarus; 03-08-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

So the wire wheel wouldn't affect the valve much right?
Old 03-08-2008, 01:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazjig View Post
So the wire wheel wouldn't affect the valve much right?
not on the face of the valve.

I do put extra effort into making sure the wire brissels do not get in contact with the edge of the valve where it is seated on the head.

I also turn the valve so that the "brushing" is even.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #15 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 436 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
I find the thicker the carbon is the harder it is to get off with bench grinder wire wheel.
ya, with my last set of valves, no matter how much i wire wheeled them and how much pressure i put on it the carbon would not come off...

i ended up using a bead blaster at my work. super fast and they came out beautiful

Delta Cam, best bang for your buck!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../made_Ryan.png
ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2008, 05:05 PM   #16 (permalink)

Ya a bead blaster would definately do the trick, im not sure if the Rust Remover stuff is hard to find but in Canada at any Canadian Tire you can pick it up for 5.99 and it worked awesome, just thought i would let some people know, maybe it will help some fellow canadians out there.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:44 PM   #17 (permalink)
Screwy lewy in red

lewy is about to kiss the skylewy is about to kiss the skylewy is about to kiss the skylewy is about to kiss the skylewy is about to kiss the skylewy is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx View Post
ya, with my last set of valves, no matter how much i wire wheeled them and how much pressure i put on it the carbon would not come off...

i ended up using a bead blaster at my work. super fast and they came out beautiful

Nice clean-up job!!!
Old 03-08-2008, 11:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx View Post

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...x/sohczc_8.jpg
yours looks new!

Here is my D16 head after a clean up, you can see some of the carbon I couldn't get off. But its alot better then it was.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:34 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
yours looks new!

Here is my D16 head after a clean up, you can see some of the carbon I couldn't get off. But its alot better then it was.

Those exhaust valves would have been perfect candidates for some rust remover, lol. Looks good though.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:31 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 sql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatness
Default Piston Kleen

Rust remover usually contains some form of acid which is a metal dissolver. I don't use it on precision parts. And I don't like bits of broken wire brushes flying around those parts either. Vinegar works as good as any commercial product I've tried for rust. But for carbon, nothing beats Piston Kleen IMO.

Install some old plugs, flip your head upside down, and level it off. Rotate the cam so that all the valves are closed. Fill chamber with Piston Kleen (odorless, colorless, and biodegradable). Let soak overnight. It works best at 90 degress F but does fine at room temperature. Suck out some of the skanky fluid with a turkey baster. Brush gently with a toothbrush. Suck out more fluid and then wipe it clean with a rag or paper towels. Use compressed air to blow out skanky fluid around the valves and spark plug threads. Repeat if necessary.

This head had only 28k on it but I've cleanup up gnarly head in 2 or 3 applications with excellent results. Of course, this does not work if the valves won't seal in which case you need to disassemble the head and soak the valves in a container. Then you can clean the chambers after you lap the valves in and reassemble the head. Stubborn flakes of carbon can be picked away with a dental tool. You can also polish further with a dremel (like the spark plug threads after you remove them).

The basic results...

[/Infomercial]
sql_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification