removing pistons from the bottom of the motor? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2004, 05:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Question removing pistons from the bottom of the motor?

ok, my friend has a d16a1 with some p29 pistons in it. unfortunatly, the motor is still in the car which makes working on it harder. and to make matters worse, 15 years of heat, grease, and rust has bonded the the head to the block, i pounded on it with a mallet and then tried to pry it out with a crow bar and got nowhere. so now im thinking that i can remove the oil pan and take the pistons out from the bottom. has anyone done this before? how should i do it? what should i beware of?
quest4boost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2004, 05:48 PM   #2 (permalink)
is a douche bag

probably scarring the carnk or the cyl. walls.
dragman99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2004, 05:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 d16a6 power is learning the way of the Dd16a6 power is learning the way of the D

Take the motor out first. Then u can remove the pistons from the bottom. Why would you do this while its in the car anyway?
d16a6 power is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2004, 06:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

damage to the motor is ok, i mean, we already dented it up real nice with the mallet and scarred it with the crowbar, haha.

my major concern is how to take the crank with the pistons attached safely so i dont hurt myself or damage the pistons.
Old 06-08-2004, 06:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16a6 power
Take the motor out first. Then u can remove the pistons from the bottom. Why would you do this while its in the car anyway?
this is because we dont have the tools to take the motor out, so this isn;t an option.
Old 06-08-2004, 07:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 435 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

what is wrong with the motor that makes you not care whether you fuck up the block or not?

Delta Cam, best bang for your buck!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../made_Ryan.png
ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2004, 08:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
calboi510

what are you guys doing, pounding it with a mallet...with all that effort, you could have probably sold the old parts and bought new OEM style pistons

i never once pounded my motor to take anything out. take off the oil pan, take off the head, then pop the pistons through the top, it's still a lot of work though
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2004, 08:50 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by calboi510
what are you guys doing, pounding it with a mallet...with all that effort, you could have probably sold the old parts and bought new OEM style pistons

i never once pounded my motor to take anything out. take off the oil pan, take off the head, then pop the pistons through the top, it's still a lot of work though
WORD
not trying to flame you, but if you don't have tools to REMOVE, I don't even wanna ask how you plan on installing them

any chance you're doing this barefoot?
HumanResource is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2004, 09:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 d16a6 power is learning the way of the Dd16a6 power is learning the way of the D

And what are your plans with these pistons? They are used and will not work correctly in something else, thats whay you get a certain bore and the correct sized pistons to go with it. And your ruining a good motor by banging a crow bar on it, hmm thats nice. I hope your joking.
Old 06-08-2004, 10:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
CRX KING

slebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the sky

You cannot remove pistons from the bottom on a D-series block. Look down a bore of and empty block sometime and you'll see why.

DUAL POINT FOR LIFE!!!
slebidia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2004, 10:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
CRX KING

slebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the sky

here:

DUAL POINT FOR LIFE!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 03:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

for one thing, even if you get them out through the back, how are u gonna put new ones in?you'll be the first that i know to put the pistosn in through the back,

altho to tell you the truth i see no problem with that
Old 06-09-2004, 06:36 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

ok, my friend bought this car to do a b16 swap or something in it, he does not plan to reuse the original motor in any shape or form and he does not want to bother with selling bits and pieces of the motor. this is why we decided to use such extreme force on it.

to all the people who are asking how the pistons are gonna go back in: i never said the pistons are to be reinstalled in the same motor they came out of. the plan is to use them in my y8 whose head is not fused with the block.

d16a6 power: why wont pistons from one motor work in another? dont people do this all the time? ITR pistons or CTR pistons in other b series blocks, turbo supra pistons in b series blocks, what is different about this case?
Old 06-09-2004, 06:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by slebidia
here:
thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:12 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by slebidia
You cannot remove pistons from the bottom on a D-series block. Look down a bore of and empty block sometime and you'll see why.
What are you talking about? I did with mine and how else would you do it? And the question about using other pistons is that they are new and there is a new bore for them to work correctly.
Old 06-09-2004, 09:14 AM   #16 (permalink)
CRX KING

If you're telling me you did you are a liar. Look at the bottom of the cylinder in the pic.

DUAL POINT FOR LIFE!!!
Old 06-09-2004, 03:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I know you cant pull them out from the bottom, i thought you were saying you couldnt work on them from the bottom. i got mine out through the top, by pushing them from the bottom.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Are the notches on the cylinder walls or is it the crank. I dont remember these on mine but i didn remove it through the bottom. If those notches are the crank then couldnt you remove the crank and take the pistons out with it through the bottom?Not saying i would do it but just a thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg esrdstftjyuio;ol.JPG (51.9 KB, 151 views)
Old 06-09-2004, 03:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
DseriesScience

As far as I know, you are looking at the lower girdle of the block and removing the crank will not remove this blockage. that being said, the D is quite light and if you put 3-4 2X8's underneath you should be able to use three people to painlessly pull it out. clearly you have to take the hood off but even a comealong hooked on a rafter would be enough although renting an engine hoist is not all that expensive. Quit fighting it and pull it you'll be glad you did.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2004, 04:22 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

take this block to the tallest building in your area and drop it to the ground

just an idea...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification