Honda D Series Forum banner

pulled pan after blowing motor.....

10K views 59 replies 24 participants last post by  Acid X 
#1 ·
no pics, sorry.....nothing really to see as of yet. But, pulled the pan and ran my finger through the bottom of it.....felt like running my finger through sand because of all of the metal shavings. bad deal.........ill get pics when i get it tore down.

but im putting my other motor in here soon. My motor is ready to come out, but ran into a problem while removing the pan from my new motor.....one of the bolts on the oil pan is stripped, so ive been messing with that for a while and ant go any further until i get it off.

but yeah, lots of metal shavings.....so not a good deal.

#7 ·
every 2000 miles....

if the cylinder walls arent hurt U could still build the block up if not then man that shit will suck Gluck i hope is nothing big which i doubt!!! (GLuck)
yeah, what usually causes metal shavings? im hoping its rebuildable!!!(gluck)

#5 ·
"Oil? We ain't got no oil. We don't need no oil. I don't have to show you any stinking dip stick!"

#19 · (Edited)
great so basically, here is what it boils down to.........it may very well be installer error. You guys say this because the thrust washer was sitting on the bottom of the pan. Would crankwalk cause a motor to seize/lock and stop turning?

If this is in fact installer error, my builder said, and i quote, "once you install that turbo, dont bother bringing any problems back to me because it is no longer my fault." So, i guess i will be the one forking the bill, which is kind of gay, especially if i have to get new crank, bearings, oilpump, and rebuild turbo.

would this thrust washer falling cause knocking as well, because that is what happened when it seized.

what else can i expect to be destroyed from the crank walk if in fact thats what the problem is?

#22 · (Edited)
great so basically, here is what it boils down to.........it may very well be installer error. You guys say this because the thrust washer was sitting on the bottom of the pan. Would crankwalk cause a motor to seize/lock and stop turning?
yes. once the crank ground through the bearings the crank would seize.
If this is in fact installer error, my builder said, and i quote, "once you install that turbo, dont bother bringing any problems back to me because it is no longer my fault." So, i guess i will be the one forking the bill, which is kind of gay, especially if i have to get new crank, bearings, oilpump, and rebuild turbo.
doesn't matter if you slapped a turbo on the motor. if the thrust washer is installed correctly, it will not fall back out. it is pinned between the crank and girdle (main cap). there is no way it can fall out unless it is
1) wrong thrust washer
2) installed incorrectly
3) crank deflection was not checked and it had too much play <- not a honda problem.
would this thrust washer falling cause knocking as well, because that is what happened when it seized.
yes, what you heard was the crank moving back and forth in the girdle
what else can i expect to be destroyed from the crank walk if in fact thats what the problem is?
crankwalk destroys the following:
crank
main bearings
girdle
mains (block half)
and possibly:
rod bearings
rings
oil pump
piston skirt due to lateral forces
bore, refer to ^
and anywhere the oil might have traveled with the shavings

#41 ·
why? the builder is in the wrong. he owes you a motor. but if you are going to roll over on this motor, best of luck with your next project...
i have to roll over on this motor......this engine builder is my dads friend so we arent taking him to court.....thats out of the question, and whether the turbo was the cause or not, he specifically said, once it goes on, its not his deal anymore......so that pretty much sums it up. i have to take a loss on it.

#47 · (Edited)
i have to roll over on this motor......this engine builder is my dads friend so we arent taking him to court.....thats out of the question, and whether the turbo was the cause or not, he specifically said, once it goes on, its not his deal anymore......so that pretty much sums it up. i have to take a loss on it.
Well, your dads "friend" is a sorry sac of shit for a human being, and you SHOULD take him to court because it was obviously installer error. If he's not willing to stand up for his mistakes, then I see no reason why you should do anything except talk shit to everyone you know about how he fucked up your engine and fucked you over.

"friends" don't fuck their friends kids over with shotty workmanship. You dads "friend" is a shady piece of shit. Honestly, I would piss on his door handles. Regularly, like his door was my personal bathroom.

Honestly, it sounds like he was planning on doing a shitty build in the first place. He knew you wanted to turbo it, he knew you'd turbo it as soon as you could, so he knew he didn't have to warranty his work. You got ripped off on purpose kid.

#21 ·
correct me if im wrong, but this is the thrust washer correct, because this was sittin in the bottom of the pan when i pulled it.

sorry for the crappy pics...using a crappy camera,

but you can see where there are gouges in the washer where something indeed rubbed very hard on it.

#24 ·
Damn, your builder just cost you a shit load of money mang... might even be worth a lawyer. +1 on turbo has NOTHING to do with thrust washer.

#27 ·
yeah, it sucks pretty bad......alot of money and nothing to account for....

and it very well may be that the turbo has nothing to do with the thrust washer falling out, but the turbo was installed so he wont fix it. He will claim it was because of the turbo....and i have NO WAY of proving that it was the installers fault....

#28 ·
sure you do, find someone that is a honda tech that can verify that the washer shouldn't have come out, get a lawyer and take his ass to court. Motor builders are some shady ass fucks from what I've seen here lately

#29 ·
first pic of the thrust washer looks to me like a rod got it but how would that be possible if that side is suppose to be against the block??? maybe installed backwards?

see if you can find something with a similar score mark on it!

Also check #3 and #4 lower part of ther cylinder walls for scoring from the bearing maybe it was stuck in there and you never knew it! "METAL SHAVINGS!"

#33 ·
99EJ6T said:
hey i'm not shady.... well when i built motors on the side i was not shady....
nothing towards you or anyone else on the site. The shop that has mine has been doing some shady stuff and I'm just venting

#36 ·
its cool. sorry about your luck, this thread kinda makes you want to look over there work, ehh? but anyway, back to the origenal topic...

so anyone ever take apart a block after running it lean for a while? did the thrust bearing walk? <- i think this info would be helpfull to the OP since people are bringing up his tune.

#35 ·
14:1 AFR is lean even for a NA car...going that lean on a turbo is just begging for detonation or other problems...but for the time being, just leave that part out during the sueing to get the motor rebuilt...

#38 ·
well the main/rod bearings are under a different load compared to a thrust bearing.... thats why i asked. just in case someone has seen something that i have not. personal experiance says that the tune and turbo have nothing to do with the thrust bearing. but i have not experianced everything...

#43 ·
no, not yet. Right now im focusing on pulling all of my turbo stuff off, wiring back my oem map sensor and injectors, and swapping my other motor in so i can get my car back on the road.

i will get pics later when i find the time to tear it down.

#44 ·
would an act xtreme pressure plate be any reason for it to come out....from added stress of that heavy of a pressure plate?

#51 ·
i am having someone come over to disassemble what they can to get pictures of the damage so we know exactly that he was the cause. Pics will be taken of everything we can to prove the fact that the damage was due to the thrust bearing and that it was due to improper install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.