y8 cam w/ z6 sprocket, z6 cam w/ y8 sprocket - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2006, 07:45 AM   2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Rep Power: 21 builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!
builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!
Default y8 cam w/ z6 sprocket, z6 cam w/ y8 sprocket

This comes up alot, so here is a quick breakdown-

If you put a y8 cam in with a z6 gear, the cam keyway will be lined up with zero on that gear and retarded about 4.5 degrees. in order to correct this, you want the keyway to be 4.5 degrees away from the z6 original keyway position, so you would ADVANCE the y8 cam w/ the z6 gear 4.5 degrees. This would now make your y8 keyway 4.5 degrees to the left of the straight up and down 'typical' z6 keyway position (if looking at the cam gear face).

so, if y8 cam w/ z6 sprocket: advance 4.5 degs. If z6 cam with y8 sprocket: retard 4.5 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
y8 cam w/ z6 sprocket, z6 cam w/ y8 sprocket-z6y8camdiag.jpg  

Last edited by builthatch; 07-29-2007 at 09:05 AM.
builthatch is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2006, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 Street Sniper is learning the way of the DStreet Sniper is learning the way of the D

Finally.

So, y8 cam in my z6 = advance 4.5*. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot
im running 10ohms, so is it bad to run to rich?

<<--- Diaper Sniper
Street Sniper is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2006, 08:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Rep Power: 21 builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!builthatch is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Sniper
Finally.

So, y8 cam in my z6 = advance 4.5*. Thanks.
yep, y8 cam with z6 gear = advance 4.5*
Old 04-24-2006, 10:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

OK so let me get this straight. With y8 cam into the Z6 motor and a Z6 adjustable cam gear. I set motor to TDC on the crank and lined up the cam gear(still set at 0 degrees) with its TDC pointer on the cam cover. Then just simply advance the gear from there 4.5 degrees, and recheck ignition timing? Do I got it?
portenio78 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

what if u have an a6? i have an aftermarket (rage racing) cam gear for a a6 but am concerning doing a y8 mini me, what setting should i use to start out?
1991rex is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2006, 06:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991rex
what if u have an a6? i have an aftermarket (rage racing) cam gear for a a6 but am concerning doing a y8 mini me, what setting should i use to start out?
a6 i think is like a z6- keyway inline. not 100% sure tho; it's been a LOOOOOOONG time since i've had an a6 (1997)
Old 05-05-2006, 08:06 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 inspector01 is starting to learn the ropesinspector01 is starting to learn the ropesinspector01 is starting to learn the ropesinspector01 is starting to learn the ropesinspector01 is starting to learn the ropesinspector01 is starting to learn the ropes

Ok, so you can use the Y8 cam in a Z6, or a Z6 cam in a Y8 if you adjust the timing????

Or is this just for using the different cam gear??

1998 Acura Integra GSR-T
inspector01 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspector01
Ok, so you can use the Y8 cam in a Z6, or a Z6 cam in a Y8 if you adjust the timing????

Or is this just for using the different cam gear??
either or- just have to adjust the timing to match as if it had the right cam gear.
Old 05-17-2006, 02:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

i have a z6 adj. camgear on a y8 minime..adjust 4.5 advanced or because i am using a d15b2 block other?
Old 05-19-2006, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 sohc_sol is starting to learn the ropessohc_sol is starting to learn the ropessohc_sol is starting to learn the ropessohc_sol is starting to learn the ropessohc_sol is starting to learn the ropessohc_sol is starting to learn the ropessohc_sol is starting to learn the ropes

Ok, so let me see if i got this. im planning on building a Z6 bottom end and putting a Y8 head on it. So to make up for the timing differance i can just get a Z6 cam gear on my Y8 cam and advance it 4.5 degrees and everything should run fine??
sohc_sol is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2006, 05:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohc_sol
Ok, so let me see if i got this. im planning on building a Z6 bottom end and putting a Y8 head on it. So to make up for the timing differance i can just get a Z6 cam gear on my Y8 cam and advance it 4.5 degrees and everything should run fine??
yep...or you could throw a y8 gear on there and adjust nothing, but if what you have is a z6 gear, then you are correct.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:27 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

but can u fit the y8 distrubutor on the z6 with no problems while haveing that ? or can u just put the y8 distributor?

thanks
eg95-n/a is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2006, 08:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Ive been looking around but still dont know what to do really...I have a d16y8 head. BUT I just picked up a Crower stage 2 cam for a z6 at a really good price.

My question is, if I run this z6 cam in my y8 do I run the y8 cam gear or the z6 cam gear? I thought the z6 and y8 cams were identical, so does this mean I just run the y8 cam gear and the timing should be straight forward?(with a aem cam gear) Thanks in advance!
the twanksta is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2006, 10:19 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by builthatch
This comes up alot, so here is a quick breakdown-

If you put a y8 cam in with a z6 gear, the cam keyway will be lined up with zero on that gear and retarded about 4.5 degrees. in order to correct this, you want the keyway to be 4.5 degrees away from the z6 original keyway position, so you would ADVANCE the y8 cam w/ the z6 gear 4.5 degrees. This would not make your y8 keyway 4.5 degrees to the left of the straight up and down 'typical' z6 keyway position (if looking at the cam gear face).

so, if y8 cam w/ z6 sprocket: advance 4.5 degs. If z6 cam with y8 sprocket: retard 4.5 degrees.
on a d15 block does the above info still correct or are different settings required? just want to be sure i have NO piston to valve clearance issues thanks
Old 06-14-2006, 05:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 4CleanDoors smells like Borat4CleanDoors smells like Borat4CleanDoors smells like Borat4CleanDoors smells like Borat4CleanDoors smells like Borat

Ok. I have a b7/z6 mini me. I have a crower stage 2 z6 cam...do I still use the y8 gear to correct the timing problem with the mini me's????

Please reaffirm this to make me feel better.
4CleanDoors is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 07:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg95-n/a
but can u fit the y8 distrubutor on the z6 with no problems while haveing that ? or can u just put the y8 distributor?

thanks
use the distributor that matches the head; you can change the insides of the distributor so it works with your setup (meaning putting z6 insides into y8 distributor, or vise versa), or get a distributor conversion harness, but the easiest thing to do is keep a matched set when it comes to head, cam, sprocket and distributor
Old 06-14-2006, 07:32 PM   #17 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the twanksta
Ive been looking around but still dont know what to do really...I have a d16y8 head. BUT I just picked up a Crower stage 2 cam for a z6 at a really good price.

My question is, if I run this z6 cam in my y8 do I run the y8 cam gear or the z6 cam gear? I thought the z6 and y8 cams were identical, so does this mean I just run the y8 cam gear and the timing should be straight forward?(with a aem cam gear) Thanks in advance!
match cam with sprocket...but if you can't, you can use an adjustable from the wrong year and adjust it according to my chart.

so, if you have a z6 cam, use a z6 sprocket. if you already have a y8 adj. sprocket to use with that z6 sprocket, then adjust accordingly.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991rex
on a d15 block does the above info still correct or are different settings required? just want to be sure i have NO piston to valve clearance issues thanks
you will need to search about difference with deck heights and how it affects thing with the d15/d16, etc, because honestly i can't recall much about mini-me's w/o refreshing my memory doing the same thing you can do (search)
Old 06-14-2006, 07:37 PM   #19 (permalink)
allwheeldriveturboboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4CleanDoors
Ok. I have a b7/z6 mini me. I have a crower stage 2 z6 cam...do I still use the y8 gear to correct the timing problem with the mini me's????

Please reaffirm this to make me feel better.
if this is what you normally do with a b7/z6 mini-me, then it would stand to be true for a performance cam, since the keyway will be in the same position for the Crower z6 cam as it would be for the stock z6 cam. again, i don't recall much about mini-me's- i studied them at one point, but since i never put one together, it didn't sink in like the straight forward 1.6L vtec builds have.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:19 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 HondaPACT is learning the way of the DHondaPACT is learning the way of the D

I got a Y7 and Im using a Y8 gear are they the same? Do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell View Post
psi is not created equal
HondaPACT is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.d-series.org/forums/engine-building/41363-y8-cam-w-z6-sprocket-z6-cam-w-y8-sprocket.html
Posted By For Type Date
ek mini me swap help - Honda-Tech This thread Refback 05-15-2009 10:26 PM
ek mini me swap help - Honda-Tech This thread Refback 05-08-2009 09:31 AM