Ring end gap. If you've built your own engine post up! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2005, 09:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 38 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Default Ring end gap. If you've built your own engine post up!

So here's the deal. I started putting the bottom end of my ZC back together sunday night. I go to set the end gaps for the rings and am a little worried about the clearances.

Starting from the bottom. The oil control rails had a gap of 0.030" out of the box so I didn't touch them. All four of the 2nd compression rings had a end gap of 0.015" so I didn't touch those either. The top compression rings, for the most part, had a gap of 0.018" out of the box. One or two of the top compression rings were slightly tighter (0.016" - 0.017") so I did file those to 0.018". I was, and still am, worried about that end gap but I thought it may be better to keep it consistent.

Are the end gaps ok? I have been told not to worry about the oil control rails as you offset the gaps anyway. The 2nd compression ring is dead on but the top compression ring just seems too loose. I have asked around and have been told everything from "order new top compression rings" to "don't worry about it".

DOHC ZC block bored .5mm over. The rings are also .5mm over. If I do order new top rings should I get them 1mm over?

Any help would be great. Thanks.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweezil View Post
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2005, 09:33 AM   #2 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 19 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano

I don't understand. You filied down the ring to .0018....
guest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2005, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

Rep Power: 38 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
I don't understand. You filied down the ring to .0018....
What part do you not understand?

Have you ever put an engine together?
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
Quote:
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Arachnid  is accepted as part of the communityArachnid  is accepted as part of the communityArachnid  is accepted as part of the communityArachnid  is accepted as part of the community

what is the max end gap spec.? .002in?(been too long since last build) ask yourself...."are these end gaps within spec?" if they are within spec you should be fine.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)
my name says Guest, but Im really a MEMBER

Rep Power: 19 guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano
guest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcanoguest is hot as a volcano

^^ Honestly, I haven't. "One or two of the top compression rings were slightly tighter (0.016" - 0.017") so I did file those to 0.018". I was, and still am, worried about that end gap but I thought it may be better to keep it consistent. "

There all at .018 now right....., What's the spec?
guest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2005, 10:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Per JE's site the top was 0.015" for the top compression ring. They listed a a minimum gap of 0.015" on the oil rails so I don't know if the 0.015 is a minimum or not. I'm just going to call JE.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-06-2005, 07:27 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 Arachnid  is accepted as part of the communityArachnid  is accepted as part of the communityArachnid  is accepted as part of the communityArachnid  is accepted as part of the community

from the haynes manual, it says that .006-.012 inch standard(top ring) that would mean that your .018 setting would be kinda wide.
it is .012-.018 for second ring. and .008-.028 for oil control ring. i might add that i would follow the specs of what the book has to say.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
No more Honda's :-(

Rep Power: 12 FMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to allFMYStreetRacer is a name known to all

you can throw the book out though if you're gonna be boosted or hit it with the gas. once you start going forced indection (not sure if he is) you want the ring gaps wider. i'd just leave them all alone and put them if it were me.

83 RX-7 Wide Body, 4-port 13B street-ported, Cartech turbo system with blow through carbs

03 Kawasaki KLX400R tagged

FMYStreetRacer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2005, 10:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 DontSaveHer will become famous soon enoughDontSaveHer will become famous soon enoughDontSaveHer will become famous soon enough

My ring gaps where about half this big ||
DontSaveHer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2005, 12:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 zeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respectzeus zore  is slowly gaining respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontSaveHer
My ring gaps where about half this big ||
LOL....

Setup on Z6 :
SMSP header, Arias 11.5 pistons, eagle rods, edelbrock IM, 60mm TB, Crower springs/ti. retainer, AKMEE Type R Cam, Crower cam gear, Hondata.
zeus zore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2005, 01:49 AM   #11 (permalink)
hellaqwik29

I just finished my ZC and the end gap for the top ring is recommended to be of factory spec, unless you are turbo or using a different type of piston material which could be a bit bigger, factory gap is 0.0060-0.0140. My top ring was 0.0110 if I remember, have had no isues, but you can always check with JE or your machine shop. Good luck.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2005, 04:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

Yes, this is a boosted application. I guess I should have mentioned that.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-07-2005, 11:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

Well I just got off the phone with JE and the tech said that, as stated on the site, 0.015" is a minimum and anything up 0.020" is acceptable. So I guess I'm good to go.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #14 (permalink)
peace out

Rep Power: 11 icarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatnessicarusdown is approaching greatness

My Hastings rings said that minimum gap HAS to be at least 'bore-diameter' x .004". All the rings cleared the minimum (.012" according to Hastings) but this was larger than the maximum factory specs for some of the rings (don't remember which ones now). You should be fine.
icarusdown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 AMkrew_1 smells like BoratAMkrew_1 smells like BoratAMkrew_1 smells like BoratAMkrew_1 smells like BoratAMkrew_1 smells like BoratAMkrew_1 smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarusdown
My Hastings rings said that minimum gap HAS to be at least 'bore-diameter' x .004". All the rings cleared the minimum (.012" according to Hastings) but this was larger than the maximum factory specs for some of the rings (don't remember which ones now). You should be fine.
This is good info. We typically go by this at work. .004" per inch of bore is minimum, if it's a N/A street motor. If you're boosted, you need a little more room. Our single-cam motors have nearly a 3" bore. 3" X .004" = .012" minimum for a street N/A motor. At .018", you've got nearly .006" per inch of bore. This is about right for a boosted motor.

When assembling a SBC with cast hyperutectic pistons, the top ring end gap must be significantly wider than the second compression ring. We go by .0065" per inch of bore minimum. This is because the top ring gets cooked at a higher temp, and expands more than the same ring on a traditional cast piston would.

just some useless info for you. Lol!
-josh-
Old 12-08-2005, 03:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMkrew_1
This is good info. We typically go by this at work. .004" per inch of bore is minimum, if it's a N/A street motor. If you're boosted, you need a little more room. Our single-cam motors have nearly a 3" bore. 3" X .004" = .012" minimum for a street N/A motor. At .018", you've got nearly .006" per inch of bore. This is about right for a boosted motor.

When assembling a SBC with cast hyperutectic pistons, the top ring end gap must be significantly wider than the second compression ring. We go by .0065" per inch of bore minimum. This is because the top ring gets cooked at a higher temp, and expands more than the same ring on a traditional cast piston would.

just some useless info for you. Lol!
-josh-
No actually that wasn't useless at all. Thanks dude!
Quote:
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification