Snapped water pump bolt in block - suggestions on how to remove - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2017, 04:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 curlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Snapped water pump bolt in block - suggestions on how to remove

Hey everyone.

I'm in the process of preparing an OBD2 JDM d15b with a d16y8 head to swap into my '93 del sol Si. I blew my NA built z6 in late May and needed a replacement. The d15/y8 was sitting as a spare in the garage.

I was in the process of replacing some components like the water pump. I realize now that of the 4 10mm bolts for the water pump, one is shorter than the others. I tried tightening down a longer bolt into the hole for the shorter bolt and snapped the head off of it. Now the rest of it is stuck in the block.

Any suggestions on how to get it out?

Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Si.
NA d16z6 - 158whp - RIP May 22, 2017 (dropped exhaust valve)
curlybandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2017, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

y7 transmission
ls meshies, oem wing, blacked out tails with h.i.d head lights

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 11 curlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to allcurlybandit is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo_eg8 View Post
Hey Slo.

I've been looking at option and the Easy-Out kit is one of them. I've also seen square versions.

Thanks.

1993 Honda Civic del Sol Si.
NA d16z6 - 158whp - RIP May 22, 2017 (dropped exhaust valve)
curlybandit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
BATSLOMAN GIVES 0 FUCKS

Rep Power: 50 slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !slo_eg8 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 28 reviews
Send a message via AIM to slo_eg8

probably the easiest way to do it.
y7 transmission
ls meshies, oem wing, blacked out tails with h.i.d head lights

new 95 ej1.
slo_eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

Was the water pump on?
If the head just snap then you should still have the shaft of the bolt. So some vise grips should work for turning it out.
But if its a flush cut in the block then an easy out is what you gotta use

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2017, 06:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Pro-SeriesFab is starting to learn the ropesPro-SeriesFab is starting to learn the ropesPro-SeriesFab is starting to learn the ropesPro-SeriesFab is starting to learn the ropesPro-SeriesFab is starting to learn the ropesPro-SeriesFab is starting to learn the ropesPro-SeriesFab is starting to learn the ropes

Got a b1 block for free and it had a bolt broke off in there . . . was a PITA to get out.

Ended up drilling the bolt out using progressively larger and larger drill bits till there wasn't much left before hitting the threads. Then used a flathead and a hammer to punch the remaining bolt into the center and removed that with some needle nose pliers.

Haven't had the best luck with easy-outs.
Old 06-19-2017, 06:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 24 Paterico Still a JDM Star....Paterico Still a JDM Star....
Paterico Still a JDM Star....Paterico Still a JDM Star....Paterico Still a JDM Star....Paterico Still a JDM Star....Paterico Still a JDM Star....Paterico Still a JDM Star....Paterico Still a JDM Star....Paterico Still a JDM Star....Paterico Still a JDM Star....Paterico Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 13 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-SeriesFab View Post
Got a b1 block for free and it had a bolt broke off in there . . . was a PITA to get out.

Ended up drilling the bolt out using progressively larger and larger drill bits till there wasn't much left before hitting the threads. Then used a flathead and a hammer to punch the remaining bolt into the center and removed that with some needle nose pliers.

Haven't had the best luck with easy-outs.
This is what the machine shop did when I snapped a M6 bolt off on one of my JRSC manifolds. Hopefully you have something left to grip with vise grips

R.I.P. Pat Primmer
Paterico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.