JDM D15 Non VTEC to D16Y8 mini-me head swap - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Default JDM D15 Non VTEC to D16Y8 mini-me head swap

Had a few parts list questions before I get under way.

Can I use my valve cover from the JDM D15 Non VTEC?
Can I use my distributor from the JDM D15 Non VTEC?
Can I use my timing belt from the JDM D15 Non VTEC?
Can I use my head gasket/studs from the JDM D15 Non VTEC?

It is a low mile JDM D15 Non VTEC I got from an importer a couple years ago, it has been a great motor so far. My tuner set me up on ectune and will be engaging VTEC via ecu. I did the intake manifold swap with the manual transmission. And it has a cheap 4-2-1 header and intake. Otherwise everything else is stock on the motor.

P06 OBD1 ectune
Phearable tuned
UncleLuke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2013, 01:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ginger Beard

Rep Power: 21 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Vtec valve covers are usually different than non-tec. The spark plugs on vtec models go in the front as the non-tec in the rear. I am only working on what I remember seeing of the d15b non-vtec models.

RIP Pat Primmer
You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
Vtec valve covers are usually different than non-tec. The spark plugs on vtec models go in the front as the non-tec in the rear. I am only working on what I remember seeing of the d15b non-vtec models.
That above pic is my late model JDM D15 Non VTEC. It has the spark plugs in the front, much like my D16Y7 Non VTEC did.

I think with the later models, OBDII, they were different, relocated dipstick too.
P06 OBD1 ectune
Phearable tuned
Old 10-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Ginger Beard

Rep Power: 21 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

You must have an odb2 motor, I thought that was the y8 you were posting lol. I seen the dipstick on the side and assumed it was the y8.

If I was you I would order a y8 or z6 MLS type headgasket when installing, they are much better than the composite gaskets the others use.

Other than that I don't know as much about the mini part of it. GL

RIP Pat Primmer
You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
You must have an odb2 motor, I thought that was the y8 you were posting lol. I seen the dipstick on the side and assumed it was the y8.

If I was you I would order a y8 or z6 MLS type headgasket when installing, they are much better than the composite gaskets the others use.

Other than that I don't know as much about the mini part of it. GL
Looks like I am going to get an OEM D16Y8 head gasket too.

thx repped.
P06 OBD1 ectune
Phearable tuned
Old 10-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 6 97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleLuke View Post
Can I use my valve cover from the JDM D15 Non VTEC?
YES
Can I use my distributor from the JDM D15 Non VTEC?
I think so
Can I use my timing belt from the JDM D15 Non VTEC?
You have to use the d15 timing belt, cannot use any D16 timing belt they are too long
Can I use my head gasket/studs from the JDM D15 Non VTEC?
Beerdrinker answered the HG already, as for studs,... not sure
97-Civic-Ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

97-civic-ex: I'm sure he has to use a y8 VTEC dizzy. The non-vtec dizzy wouldn't work without modifications
Old 10-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 6 97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all97-Civic-Ex is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairdandrew77 View Post
97-civic-ex: I'm sure he has to use a y8 VTEC dizzy. The non-vtec dizzy wouldn't work without modifications
What modes are you talking about? Remember, he has the obd2 non-vtec d15b which is equivilant to a d16y7. Y7 and y8 share dizzies.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-Civic-Ex View Post
What modes are you talking about? Remember, he has the obd2 non-vtec d15b which is equivilant to a d16y7. Y7 and y8 share dizzies.
Never mind, A quick search showed I was wrong :saddam: Apparently the distributors are the same between them if it really is equivalent to the y7. My bad
Old 10-10-2013, 08:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Correct, my OBDII JDM D15 Non VTEC uses the equivalent to a D16Y7 distributor
P06 OBD1 ectune
Phearable tuned
Old 10-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

also a quick reminder that when putting a d16 head (like the y8 you intend to use) on a D15 block, use the d15 cam gear.
Old 10-10-2013, 02:31 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
also a quick reminder that when putting a d16 head (like the y8 you intend to use) on a D15 block, use the d15 cam gear.
My JDM D15 motor is a D16Y7 equivalent block, not the D15B7 block you are referring to with the D15 cam gear and D15 timing belt posts above.
P06 OBD1 ectune
Phearable tuned
Old 10-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series G0D

xile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcano

Quote:
My JDM D15 motor is a D16Y7 equivalent block, not the D15B7 block you are referring to with the D15 cam gear and D15 timing belt posts above.
As said.
It's a USDM y7 so treat it like a y7 which means the y8 parts will fit.

Valve covers are all the same for d obd2 motors.
Round 2 Started!!!
xile6 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2013, 03:22 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
your jdm d15 block is still 1/4" smaller than the D16y8 block you are taking the head from. You must compensate for that or you will be 4.5 degrees off. Unless you are using a d15b vtec head and not a d16y8 head, you will have to swap cam gears. You should try and really understand it some more, so here is a quick link:

D15b 3 stage engine control
Old 10-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
your jdm d15 block is still 1/4" smaller than the D16y8 block you are taking the head from. You must compensate for that or you will be 4.5 degrees off. Unless you are using a d15b vtec head and not a d16y8 head, you will have to swap cam gears. You should try and really understand it some more, so here is a quick link:

D15b 3 stage engine control
I thought that the JDM D15 non VTEC block = US D16Y7 block?

and US D16Y7 block = US D16Y8 block?
P06 OBD1 ectune
Phearable tuned
Old 10-10-2013, 04:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

No, the d15 and d16 designate the displacement,... i.e. 1.5 liter and 1.6 liter displacement. Since pistons are both 75mm, the added displacement comes from the block height/rod stroke. So when we say an obd2 nonvtec jdm d15b motor is equivalent to an obd2 d16y7 motor, we mean for all intents and purposes, they use the same things,… except the blocks are d15 vs d16 so there are a few things that have to be different.

So you if you don’t understand the differences, I’d suggest you read a little more to make sure you do. Nothing will blow up if you get the cam gears mixed up, it will just feel like it is out of timing and you will not know why. As you can tell from the link, I have had both a JDM d15 head and a usda d16 head that are equivalent and have seen the differences,…. i.e. the cam being one of them.

From what I have researched and seen firsthand, an obd2 jdm d15b block (vtec or otherwise) mated to a USDM d16 head (vtec or otherwise) will require a d15 cam gear.

Last edited by 97-Civic-Ex; 10-10-2013 at 04:31 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series G0D

xile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcano

Quote:
No, the d15 and d16 designate the displacement,... i.e. 1.5 liter and 1.6 liter displacement. Since pistons are both 75mm, the added displacement comes from the block size and stroke. So when we say an obd2 nonvtec jdm d15b motor is equivalent to an obd2 d16y7 motor, we mean for all intents and purposes, they use the same things, except the blocks are d15 vs d16 so there are a few things that have to be different.

So you if you dont understand the differences, Id suggest you read a little more to make sure you do. Nothing will blow up if you get the cam gears mixed up, it will just feel like it is out of timing and you will not know why. As you can tell from the link, I have had both a JDM d15 head and a usda d16 head that are equivalent and have seen the differences,. i.e. the cam being one of them.

From what I have researched and seen firsthand, an obd2 jdm d15b block (vtec or otherwise) mated to a USDM d16 head (vtec or otherwise) will require a d15 cam gear.

I think you might be wrong on some of that.
From what I have read is the head and cam gear are the same as the usdm obd2 motors.
And the blocks where different as crank and rods. Same oil pump tho.

But either way a y8 head should swap over easily and keep the d15b belt.
Round 2 Started!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I will not repeat it,... read the link. Measure the block. Measure cam gear keying. Do your own research. Come back with facts. I am just trying to help him out with what I have read, researched, and done myself.

FYI, NO THE CAM GEARS ARE KEYED DIFFERENT TO COMPENSATE FOR THE DECK HEIGHT DIFFERENCES. READ THE LINK or should I repost my own research here?

and yes the head will swap in and yes the timing belt has to be the d15 as I stated before

Last edited by 97-Civic-Ex; 10-10-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

D Series Cam Gear Info - OBD2

Y8 and d16a r the same.
Z6 and d15b are the same. My bad.
Round 2 Started!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

I have one question how many pounds can you put on a D15B without blowing the engine?
Isidrogaricia405 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification