Honda D Series Forum banner

Vince's D16Y7 build

84K views 119 replies 44 participants last post by  wvince 
#1 · (Edited)
About 2 months ago I decided to rebuild an engine for my '96 EX (Canadian) civic. This is my first full rebuild. I'm somewhat familiar with most aspects of my car since I've been doing my own repairs for the last couple years. I figure the engine is no different. I purchased a D16Y7 engine, just like the one in the car now, from an auto recycler for $250 complete with intake and exhaust manifolds and most of the wiring (although it's been cut mid section). I figured it would be an easy swap when the time comes. Well since then I've decided to beef up a few things along the way just in case I wanted to get more power out of this thing in the future.

Here's a pic of what I started with.

This engine has about 115,000km on it and the car was totalled. For the km's on it, it looked pretty clean inside when taken apart.

Next winter will be to tear down the engine that's in the car now. It currently has 373,000km on it and still going. It puffs a little blue smoke when I gun it. Probably needs the valve guides replaced. Bottom end still sounds solid. But then again the bottom end really doesn't give you much indication before it blows. Just curious what the bearings and cylinders look like. More to come shorlty.

Attachments

See less See more
#116 ·
Update. It passed! A slight tweak to the 2,500rpm range and idle. I set the a/f to 15.3 for both and it passed well. The a/f before was 14.3. Meh. Anyhow, it passed and I don't have to go through this crap for another 2 years. Changed the spark plugs back to the good ones and set the tune back to where it makes good power. What a joke.

#117 · (Edited)
Wow that's out standing. Good for you. Now you have an emission tune. Sucks about the misfire but it passed.

My car does that same mis fire crap with Afr's in the 15's unless I pull a bunch of timing. Lately I've been running special gas "without" ethanol and it made the Afr's 1/4-1/2 a point richer across the map. It's difficult to find stations with pure gas. Some people drive long distances to get it and buy drums full at a time.

#119 ·
That was an eBay special header. ;) Entire stainless exhaust system with out cat was $128CDN. It served its purpose. There is a new 3" stainless exhaust with custom 3" cat on it now. I like it better.

It's 8F outside today. Was driving my car home from work and wondered how this turbo D likes the cold. So at 90km/h I kicked er down to 3rd and stood on it. It spun the tires! It won't do that in summer time when the roads are warm and clean. But then again cold air does make more power.

#120 · (Edited)
maps

Been having some difficulty in real cold weather with starts. It would start but have a misfire on 1 cylinder as it seemed. Finally figured it out. Back 2 years ago I tuned each cylinder fuel trim to get the spark plugs to burn even on all 4 cylinders. It wasn't that far off with zero offset but I wanted to find out if it could be perfect. Played with the cylinder offsets a little and brought them close to stock. Voila! It starts without any misfires.

Also right around freezing point, the engine would cold start then stall. Adjusted the intake air temp compensation to add more fuel at that temp range and it starts perfect every time.

Here's my final maps. Yes it's aggressive timing in boost but this no-tech likes it. No detonation at 26psi boost.

See the bump in the mid section. That's the transition from vac to boost. I've read that the AEM fuel pressure regulator will fluctuate at this crossover point. Had to compensate in the fuel maps. Otherwise the engine would hesitate briefly through this section. Runs sweet though.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.