Help rebuilding my D16Y7 - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Ľ Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Ľ Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 09:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 strykersd is almost a somebodystrykersd is almost a somebodystrykersd is almost a somebodystrykersd is almost a somebody
Default Help rebuilding my D16Y7

After buying two used engines with blow-by, I finally gave in and decided to rebuild my stock D16Y7 engine with a spun rod bearing. My first replacement engine had low compression on one cylinder and my current one has low compression on two cylinders, plus it DRINKs motor oil! Iím really hurting for cash, but considering how much oil this engine drinks, it might just be more cost effective to rebuild my stock engine. Plus since both of my extra engines still run Iím hoping I can sell the running blocks for $200 to help offset the cost of this rebuild. I donít really have any experience rebuilding an engine, so I figured Iíd post what Iím planning to do and see if I can get any input from you guys.

Letís start of with my goals for this engine; to hold up to 200-220hp with my Greddy 15g turbo kit and to simply not burn oil. Oh and I'm planning on sticking with my D16Y7 block because when I smogged my car a few weeks ago I had issues with smog guys refusing to smog my D16A6 engine since my car came with a D16Y7.

I realize Iím going to need some machine work done, so Iíll drop my block off at the machine shop in the next few days to have the crank and cylinder walls checked out. Considering that the block has 176,000 miles, Iíll probably have it punched out to 75.5mm. Where do you guys buy your OEM oversized pistons/rings at? Dealership, FJ Distributors?

Since I spun a rod bearing I realize that I need to replace a rod. I'm undecided between picking up another stock D16Y7 rod or should I spend the $110 to have Crower machine my set of LS rods for $110. Iím planning on sticking with my greddy turbo kit and stock pistons. So would you just replace the bad rod or throw the LS rods in for a little extra strength?

And finally whereís a cheap place to pick bearings up from?

Thanks for all the help guys!
strykersd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2010, 11:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

buzzbomb is about to kiss the skybuzzbomb is about to kiss the skybuzzbomb is about to kiss the skybuzzbomb is about to kiss the skybuzzbomb is about to kiss the skybuzzbomb is about to kiss the skybuzzbomb is about to kiss the sky

you will probably want a new crankshaft if you spun a bearing. check the journal of the spun bearing to see if it is within tolerances, or if the surface is messd up.
d-series King or ACL bearings can be found on ebay fro cheap.
Originally Posted by f00ker View Post
Also, get the fuck out of my thread, you 5th gen pussy.
J.M. Maclean, deployed 3-29-2013 to Afghanistan.
Returned 9-22-2013.
buzzbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post
you will probably want a new crankshaft if you spun a bearing. check the journal of the spun bearing to see if it is within tolerances, or if the surface is messd up.
d-series King or ACL bearings can be found on ebay fro cheap.
when my Z6 spun a rod bearing the crank was done, you should deffinatly check. as for your rods they should be good up to 200 hp but if I were in your shoes I would go LS
Omnipotent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

i have y7 entiire motor disasymbled for 100$ a whole motor
hodge413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 38 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post
you will probably want a new crankshaft if you spun a bearing.
this ^^^^
Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-04-2010, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 38 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge413 View Post
i have y7 entiire motor disasymbled for 100$ a whole motor
so what?
Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification