D16y8 auto to manual swap IAC problem? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 08:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 turbodude06 is learning the way of the Dturbodude06 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D16y8 auto to manual swap IAC problem?

Ok I know there are a bunch of threads on IAC differences between the Y7 and Y8's. But I have a Y8 with an auto manifold(So no place for a IAC) with a Y7 Throttle body currently running on a Y7 ECU. I'm wanting to swap my Y8 Manual ecu in my car. But do I have to swap in the Y8 manual manifold? Or can I use the Y7 Throttle body/IAC with a Y8 manual ECU(< Thats my Real Question)???? If so what do I do with the extra wire on the IAC and will it work properly????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting the NRRA
(National Roll Racing Association)

Last edited by turbodude06; 08-23-2010 at 08:09 PM.
turbodude06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2010, 08:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 9 turbodude06 is learning the way of the Dturbodude06 is learning the way of the D

Ok I just found this so maybe this answered my question I hope not lol???????????? I guess I could just find a Manual Y8 manifold I just don't want to swap it out if I don't have to.....

Auto d16y8 manifold?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Supporting the NRRA
Old 08-23-2010, 09:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 20 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

You don't "have to" find a manual manifold, you can drill out the passages needed for the IACV and rud a 2 wire IACV. A 3 wire IACV won't work with a 2 wire ECU and a 2 wire IACV won't work with a 3 wire ECU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingciv View Post
It was really easy to do
Only needed a few tools

12mm wrench
1 tap size M8x1.25 this was on loan from CrazyMX6 thanks homo lol
1 drill bit to drill a hole sorry i dont know the size of the bit, cause the marking were wore off. Anyone know the correct size so i can post it here.
1 drill bit to drill out the holes for vacuum for the iacv
1 shop vac. or house sweeper
and a drill cordless or electric

Well here is what we have the all famous auto y8 mani, as we all know the auto mani uses a iacv that on the tb eww gross lol.
So lets change this shit over to run a proper iacv.

First what i did was go ahead and use the one hole already there and bolt the iacv on to the mani. Make sure you line it up real good or really close to good.

Sorry I missed a pic here. but with the iacv still bolted to the mani go ahead drill a hole that you will tap. I left the iacv on so i can yuse the hole as a centering guide that way it was striaght and didnt get cockeyed while i was drilling. Also I didnt drill all the way threw the manifoldI prob went im guessing 9/16 deep. Enjoy my pic lol

Next get the tap and a wrench and center the tap right in the middle of your hole. With it sitting straight up and down use one finger for downward pressure, and your other hand for turning the wrench. Once it starts to make threads you dont need any pressure let the tool do the work. Turn it till it stops, back it out some and work it back and forth.

Now with the hole tapped go ahead and test it out make sure u didnt mess up lol

Now with the iacv removed you can see to oily rings that were left by the gasket. Locate the center of each ring and starting in the center with the drill bit you used to drill your tapping hole and drill all the way threw the intake manifold

First set of holes drilled
Also when i drill these holes I put a vac hose in the mani to catch most of the shavings

Then i used a bigger bit to make the holes bigger

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 09:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 20 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

Sorry posted that thread before reading it, there is some misleading info in it. The first hole closest to the throttle body should not be drilled all the way through the intake. It should only go about half way through and then you may have to drill a passage from the mating surface of the throttle body opening to meet up with that hole. On my auto y8 manifold I had a passage already there.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 43 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

the answer to you question is NO, you can't run a y7 TB with that 3-wire IACV under there and a y8 ecu...

You will have to buy a y8 manual TB, (drill your y8 auto IM or buy a y8 5spd IM) bolt that IACV on the rear of the y8 IM and for the wiring all you have do is convert to a 2-wire IACV plug and de-pin a couple of wires to your 5spd p2p ecu. That's all. No big deal

Last edited by Pata; 08-23-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-24-2010, 05:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

Ok thanks guys I'm going to trade with a buddy of mine who need an auto manifold cause he's using a manual one on a Y7. Will make it better for the both of us.... THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

Supporting the NRRA
Old 08-25-2010, 11:24 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

You need a manual throttle body and y8 2 manual manifold if you don't want to drill the holes in intake manifold. I've already swapped tranny from auto to manual and 2 years riding with auto ecu and 3 wire iacv with no problem, but i'm going to swap it now for manual.
blink977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

i have been thinking of starting my own project however am confused between going with my older civic http://talkativetown.com/cars/88_civic/ or dumping it and getting a bit newer model and then doing engine swap. currently the net i have kept for the project car is around $5000. i guess the entire selling and buying new one will itself cost around 2k-2.5k rest maybe with engine. however if possible i would really like to pep this old beater of mine.
dennisnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

GREAT pic layout. I am running a similar issue since I have a 94 VX, I did a D16Y8 swap with 11:1 compression motor but the Y8 manifold is from an automatic (same with the ttb). SO... What you're saying is that I can drill the whole and use my old iacv from my d15b7 and it should correct my MIL and idling issues right? Since I obviously can't do the three to two wire connection.

^^Sorry I forgot that I would still have to find a manual Y8 ttb too...

Last edited by R3DGUY; 05-08-2012 at 09:12 PM.
R3DGUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #10 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 43 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 136 reviews

You should be sorry for reviving a OLD ASS thread!

How do you noobs find these threads? Lol

Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

I just google searched my issue and this came up. Since I have an account on here this is what pulled up. The set-up worked for me tho at least it helped.
R3DGUY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.