Setting proper timing using timing light (adj. cam gear and milled head) - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Setting proper timing using timing light (adj. cam gear and milled head)

I have a d16y8 block with a d16z6 head. I sent the head to be milled 0.040" and when I got it back I realised the head had been milled a good amount before, at least 0.020". After I put it on my block I used my oem z6 cam gear. The car was very slow below 4000 and pulled hard all the way to the rev limiter. I maxed out my timing on my distributor and the car ran better, but still was very sluggish below 3000 rpms. I grinded the holes on my distributor to advance it a bit more and car pulls hard, ran 15.1 @ 89 mph in a 4 door EF but I feel it isnt at its best.
I figured the best way was to get an adjustable cam gear and strobe light to check timing. I have an adjustable cam gear from 96-00 and a base model strobe timing light. I know I have to advance the cam gear 4.75'' to compensate for the difference between z6 and y8 cam gear.

How do I set correct cam timing with my strobe light?
do I have to loop the connector on the passenger side under the dash?

I have access to these manuals but it doesnt show, anybody has a link to better manuals?

http://files.clubcivicquebec.com/Man...ice_Manual.pdf

thanks
vtec8200rpms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2010, 08:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

anyone?
Old 05-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 12 lkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow uplkailburn is about to blow up

are you asking how to use the timing light or what timing to set for your specific motor setup?

-Luke
y7 block, deburred Vitaras/FJT Ibeams, Stg4 P&P y8 head, ported and matched y8 IM, ITR tb, wrx urboTurb, ramhorn, jrc 5" fmic, 450's, 2.5" dp, 3" exhaust, clutch specialties stg2, act 12lb, rebuilt y8 tranny, S300. 221whp/201wtq

2005 Legacy GT

My D16 Build http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...ld-begins.html

http://www.lukekailburn.com/
lkailburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

how to use timing light to set my specific motor setup.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 6 racer76j is almost a somebodyracer76j is almost a somebodyracer76j is almost a somebodyracer76j is almost a somebody

You have to get the mechanical timming correct .then do your spark time.Without knowing how much was taking of the head exactly you can only guess at what to set your cam gear at.Maybe try a search to see where the stock cam is degreed at and degree your cam.That will set your base time correct.Then you ignition timing can be set by light.If not search and find how many deg is changed in mech timming per thou of an inch milling.And set your gear from there.Good luck.
racer76j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2010, 08:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for the information.
So the only way to set proper mechanical timing is by degreeing or can I ''guess'' it and check it with my timing light then make adjustments?
Old 05-30-2010, 08:56 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 6 racer76j is almost a somebodyracer76j is almost a somebodyracer76j is almost a somebodyracer76j is almost a somebody

search man.Theres a number for how many degreees for thous off milling that your cam timming changes.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

One threads enough btw
Old 05-30-2010, 09:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 B20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropesB20BbenN is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec8200rpms View Post
I have a d16y8 block with a d16z6 head. I sent the head to be milled 0.040" and when I got it back I realised the head had been milled a good amount before, at least 0.020". After I put it on my block I used my oem z6 cam gear. The car was very slow below 4000 and pulled hard all the way to the rev limiter. I maxed out my timing on my distributor and the car ran better, but still was very sluggish below 3000 rpms. I grinded the holes on my distributor to advance it a bit more and car pulls hard, ran 15.1 @ 89 mph in a 4 door EF but I feel it isnt at its best.
I figured the best way was to get an adjustable cam gear and strobe light to check timing. I have an adjustable cam gear from 96-00 and a base model strobe timing light. I know I have to advance the cam gear 4.75'' to compensate for the difference between z6 and y8 cam gear.

How do I set correct cam timing with my strobe light?
do I have to loop the connector on the passenger side under the dash?

I have access to these manuals but it doesnt show, anybody has a link to better manuals?

thanks

y8 cam w/ z6 sprocket, z6 cam w/ y8 sprocket

You need to retard the 96-00 adjustable camgear, your setup is basically a Z6 head with a Y8 adjustable camgear....

First, adjust the camgear timing, second adjust ignition timing!
Check the Page 23-105 of the 96-00 service manual to adjust the ignition timing!

Last edited by B20BbenN; 05-30-2010 at 09:38 PM.
B20BbenN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification