B20Z2 ? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Engine Building

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Default B20Z2 ?

Hello everyone,
I need some advise first, before I start a new project with a B20Z block.
I'm pretty much know what I want or the direccion where I'm going with this project.

1st: I would like to know which B16 NON Vtec cylinder would be the right one for this block. Yes, I'm going NA high comp. pistons with ITBs.

2nd: Also, what kind of NON hydraulic tranny with a LSD would be the right one for this set up.

Chassis: 1989 EF Civic Si

Any other input on harness, axles, spindle/knuckle/hub, etc...
would be appreciated.

If you have any pics. of any B20Z on a EF would be A+
Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

sick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussie

non vtec b16 head? huh

gonna be one doodoo slow engine if its a non vtec B series all motor. take the extra step and make all the monet worth while anduse a good vtec b series head.
95 civic coupe ex. Vitara-hbeam Z6
New Project Built Turbo F2B F22A nonvtec into civic
93 Accord SE 4dr black9stock)
Owner @ Grab-a-Nekbrace ENT like us on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/grabanekbrace
sick1camcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 10:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 cticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick1camcivic View Post
non vtec b16 head? huh

gonna be one doodoo slow engine if its a non vtec B series all motor. take the extra step and make all the monet worth while anduse a good vtec b series head.
Thats just plain out misinformation. You dont have to use a vtec head to make good power. There are a fuck ton of good b series non vtec NA builds. Its not gonna make the same power out of the box simply because of the head design on a non vtec head but it can flow just as much with some work.

the non vtec b16 head is funny tho lol
cticknor666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 10:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

sick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cticknor666 View Post
Thats just plain out misinformation. You dont have to use a vtec head to make good power. There are a fuck ton of good b series non vtec NA builds. Its not gonna make the same power out of the box simply because of the head design on a non vtec head but it can flow just as much with some work.

the non vtec b16 head is funny tho lol
yeah??? show me one to prove this.

175whp is not powerfull. the Ls heads flow about like a D series. so how is this not true? if we were talkng boost yeah, LS head is fine, but for motor????? come on now. you would save so much wasted money and time.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 cticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick1camcivic View Post
yeah??? show me one to prove this.

175whp is not powerfull. the Ls heads flow about like a D series. so how is this not true? if we were talkng boost yeah, LS head is fine, but for motor????? come on now. you would save so much wasted money and time.
175whp is enough to run a low 13 second pass in a EF. Thats not exactly slow for a street car. Shit look on honda-tech there's a huge non vtec NA thread. Just because it doesn't flow worth a shit from the factory doesn't mean it cant. Will it be a little more expensive, yea probably but it can still be done. Just because it goes against the grain and so many people are obsessed with vtec motors doesn't mean everyone has to. I've made 150+ on a shitty d-series head and only had 2k in the entire build including buying the car.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 MEERVINCENT is learning the way of the DMEERVINCENT is learning the way of the D

with the proper parts and block work, high ct, very good tune and a LOT of headwork you can break 200 but its not gonna be street friendly. btw there is an ls head that flows better then the reg b18a1/b1 or b20. it has vtec sized valves as well if i recall on the intake not sure about the exaust. to be reaslisic and not pour a fortune into an all motor non vtec you'll get more bang for buck goin full swap to a vtec motor or an lsv setup on the same bottom end.

edit: the head im talking about is from a b20 but i cant rember what the code was.
MEERVINCENT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEERVINCENT View Post
with the proper parts and block work, high ct, very good tune and a LOT of headwork you can break 200 but its not gonna be street friendly. btw there is an ls head that flows better then the reg b18a1/b1 or b20. it has vtec sized valves as well if i recall on the intake not sure about the exaust. to be reaslisic and not pour a fortune into an all motor non vtec you'll get more bang for buck goin full swap to a vtec motor or an lsv setup on the same bottom end.

edit: the head im talking about is from a b20 but i cant rember what the code was.
You also have to factor in the price of either A) A vtec head , plus the conversion parts to do it, then pay someone to do it if your not able. Or B) Do like you said and buy whole swap, still gonna be close to the same price of doing the non vtec

My point is, vtec is not some magic word that automatically makes power lol. Its the head thats making the power because it can flow good from the factory.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
You also have to factor in the price of either A) A vtec head , plus the conversion parts to do it, then pay someone to do it if your not able. Or B) Do like you said and buy whole swap, still gonna be close to the same price of doing the non vtec

My point is, vtec is not some magic word that automatically makes power lol. Its the head thats making the power because it can flow good from the factory.
NO SHIT. you think im a newb? NO SHIT the casting flows better. goo dlord. why the hell else would I be sayig this? otherwise CAMS would have fixed his problem. smh. you would think u could read, seein under mhy name im building a F22A1 wait wait...is that non vtec?? oh it sure is. why am I using that? the casting flows better than the vtec one on F series. im not sayin vtec for vtec im no dummy dude.

and vtec heads are cheap, guy just sold 3 on here mint for $250-300.
but either way in the end for a more street able faster cheaper car. the vtec head will do it. but if you are tryn to do non vtec go for it. no such thing as a non vtec b16 unless ur using vtec eliminator cams.

Last edited by sick1camcivic; 05-08-2010 at 11:10 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

I never said you were a newb sir so no need to get all pissy. For the price of a b16 head, which varies like you said, you can pick up a set of cams for the non vtec.

I've either wrenched/tuned on or owned basically any combination honda motor other than a K. For a street car i'd rather have a nice usable power band of the non vtec.

I say we agree to disagree lol because this debate has gone on loooooooong before you and I started lol. Its apples and oranges

Last edited by cticknor666; 05-08-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
I never said you were a newb sir so no need to get all pissy. For the price of a b16 head, which varies like you said, you can pick up a set of cams for the non vtec.
and still be SOL on a shitty flowing casting.and have shitty MPG now and then ud have to port it to make it 3/4 as good as a vtec casting. to me b series is useless non vtec unless boosted. vtec is just where its at on those series.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 MEERVINCENT is learning the way of the DMEERVINCENT is learning the way of the D

you can massage a lot of love into an ls head tho. it all what you want. i will say that your right in the fact that an non vtec can be much more street friendly due to the flatter power curve but when your near stock outputs i cant see that being a factor. it only when your looking at breaking the 100/litre at the wheels mark that its an issue. then if your in that area with an non vtec whats your idle gonna be like lol.

edit: just do what you thinks best we all got opinions
MEERVINCENT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
you can massage a lot of love into an ls head tho. it all what you want. i will say that your right in the fact that an non vtec can be much more street friendly due to the flatter power curve but when your near stock outputs i cant see that being a factor. it only when your looking at breaking the 100/litre at the wheels mark that its an issue. then if your in that area with an non vtec whats your idle gonna be like lol.

edit: just do what you thinks best we all got opinions
Most of the time , even with a larger cam you can adjust the tune so it idles good. Most tuners leave the lumpy idle because people like it. Again tho, just depends on HOW big the cam is lol. Like a 405 isnt gonna love to idle at all lol
Old 05-08-2010, 12:23 PM   #13 (permalink)

Full_Tilt Still a JDM Star....

*facepalm*

way to sound like a typical honda fanboy.

VTEC is not the reason for vtec heads making good power, they make good power because they heads are well designed and have a agressive high-cam profile.
You can take a Non-vtec head and put good cams in it to get most of the way there, then with a little port and combustion chamber work and its just as good if not better.

Almost all of the honda race engines are non-vtec, but I guess they have no idea what they are talking about.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 01:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 6 dirty d is starting to learn the ropesdirty d is starting to learn the ropesdirty d is starting to learn the ropesdirty d is starting to learn the ropesdirty d is starting to learn the ropesdirty d is starting to learn the ropesdirty d is starting to learn the ropes

Heres my question Magic Wheels, First do you want to go non-vtec for sure? If so i think a gsr head on the b20z block with a bisimoto non-vtec gsr cam...since the gsr head is a great flowing head. I would also figure out what compression you want to run since you eventually want ITBs which love high comp along with a nice cam.

Also what parts do you already have for this set up?
dirty d is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 04:07 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 1meanbitch is learning the way of the D1meanbitch is learning the way of the D
Quote:

i believe u are talking about a pr8 head if im right
1meanbitch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty d View Post
Heres my question Magic Wheels, First do you want to go non-vtec for sure? If so i think a gsr head on the b20z block with a bisimoto non-vtec gsr cam...since the gsr head is a great flowing head. I would also figure out what compression you want to run since you eventually want ITBs which love high comp along with a nice cam.

Also what parts do you already have for this set up?
I'm 100% sure that I'm going non-vtec. I'm a little bit concern
about the comp. I know it's have to be around 11.0:1 to 12.0:1

The parts that I have at this moment it's the block. But, this project
I probably going to started on Aug. or Sept. no sooner or later than that.
That's why I need to know by now which non-vtec cyl. head it's good
for this project, so that way I'm going to start searching for the cyl. head
internals.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:30 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 6 dirty d is starting to learn the ropesdirty d is starting to learn the ropesdirty d is starting to learn the ropesdirty d is starting to learn the ropesdirty d is starting to learn the ropesdirty d is starting to learn the ropesdirty d is starting to learn the ropes

And thats why i said get a b18c head and get a non-vtec bisimoto cam, call bisimoto and tell him you're set up and dont worry about compression, you'll be around 11-1 just with a normal headgasket which is still pretty low, id go atleast 12-1, but thats me. Here I'll point you in the right direction for cams...Level 3, Stellite enhanced B-regrind, non-vtec - $669.00 : Bisimoto Engineering, Where Efficiency Meets Technological Perfection!

For the b18c head I would check craigslist, d-series for sale, ebay, or local junk yard. Then when you get the head id rebuild it, port it well, resurface it as well as the block, and get better valve springs.

Hope you got more questions.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #18 (permalink)

siregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the sky

btw you are in a sohc forum, yes theres lots of people on here with b swaps, but still...

there is alot of shitty ass information in this thread as well...

ls and b20 share the same cylinder head, and they are ALL cast with pr4 stamps in the headcode...

you want a non vtec b16 head, call up toda or crower or bisi get some vtec killer cams...

and by the way b16 head flows better then a gsr... gsr heads ports are setup differently why do u think they use b16 heads when they build type r motors...

if you want to do a nice b20 build... get some rs machines itr pistons a b16 head with some good port work, itb's or a good ass intake manifold that will flow really good, a good race header vtec killer cams and rocker assembely, and you should be close if not past 200whp range...

heres your price list...

b20 block- 600
b16 head- 400
rs itr pistons- 300 (with bearings and rings)
itb's - 1000
or good intake like victor x edelbrock 500
good race header 600-1000
vtec killer cams 800+
headwork from a reputable shop 600-1400
machine work 200-500

or you can just go b20 turbo and make more power be faster and cheaper in the end

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ozwrecker View Post
can you tell me how to hook up a vtech switch?
i want it on the new steering wheel i got at pep boys. have you seen it its sick!
but if i hook up the vtech i can have it at like whatever rpms i want right?
like vtech all the time? will it pop louder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
Just hook it up to a clapper and slap yourself in the face everytime you race......
siregcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2010, 10:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!
patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!

Scat and Eagle both do bore and stroke kits for B20 engines with H beams and forged pistons.

That would be a very good foundation under a B16 vtec head with or without Vtec cams.

Non vtec can be just as powerful, or just as tractable or just as economical as a vtec, but it can't be all three at once like a vtec can be.

I see no advantage in non vtec other than less cost and complexity.

There is an advantage with using the best head casting no matter what the valve train. That would seem to be the B16 vtec head. I don't know if there are different versions or different casting numbers.

Someone daid this is a SOHC forum. Actually it is a D series forum. D series also has one DOHC engine as well as a bunch of SOHC engines.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread
http://www.d-series.org/forums/dohc-...storation.html

my intro
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...y-project.html
patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2010, 03:00 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Great are we effin gonna argue about the best flowing b head? We all know its the b18c5 head. Ok now that's aside the b16 vtec head or the b18c head are both good heads either one will do the trick ported. Yes a b16 head might flow better than a gsr head. Just find one of the two, whichever is a better deal for the time being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification