Honda D Series Forum banner

Valve adjustment on a d16 z6

44K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  enziesautosport 
#1 ·
hey i new here just bought a d16z6 went to put it in my g/f car timing was off and i believe that the valves needs to be adjusted i dont have a manual that tell u everything kinda straped right now between both cars but i need d-series.org to give me a hand is this true

at tdc all valves on cylender 1 are closed go another 90 then all valves on cylender 3 are closed is this true thanx for any help

#2 ·
go tdc on the camgear, and the valves for cylinder #1
would be closed you can adjust those valves,
you then turn the crank pulley 180*
or have the camgear rotate 90* (same thing)
and repeat on cylinder #3 the rotation goes 1,3,4,2,
good luck on adjusting and yeah,

#8 ·
Hey there noticed this is a pretty old thread but I am about to adjust valves on my z6 as well and I am wondering about engine temp I have been looking around and some forums say its best to do first in the morning when engine is very cold and others say to just let the engine cool for about a hour or so?? Just curious if it really attests?

#13 ·
Ok sorry about the confusion I looked back at the video and he is actually using .010 in and .013 on exhaust also on second look it was a accord he was working don't know why it popped up when I searched for civic cause the site just says Honda valves soo my mistake sorry guys.. But thanks for responding on engine temp.

#14 ·
valve adjustment should only be performed when the engine is cold..it DOES matter if the engine has been ran and what spec. u set the clearances to

on a d16z6 u got the specs correctly and set em to that and please make sure the 10mm valve adjusting nut is properly torqued as well and while ur there u mite as well replace the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube seals

#16 ·
rotate the engine over to TDC #1. The adjustment will go like this. #1 then #3 them #4 then #2
Click the image to open in full size.

I'm using this valve adjustment tool that works great on honda heads.

Starting with number 1 cyl, im setting the lash at .008" and the exhaust at a .010"

Once you have both intake and exhaust adjusted on cyl #1 rotate the crank as shown so you can do cyl #3

Same for Cyl #4

Then Cyl #2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.