How to make your cloudy hazed headlights look new again - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2007, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 str8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to all
Default How to make your cloudy hazed headlights look new again

This how to is for renewing your hazed cloudy headlight to like new condition. heres a list of items youll need:

maskin tape (not needed if you remove your lights from the car)
bucket -O- water
superfine grit sandpaper packs (800, 1000, 1500, 2000, 2500)
spray bottle with water(i did this at my apartment) or a garden hose
some type of headlight polish (mothers, meguires, ETC)
your fav choice of car wax
your fav choice of wrags or cloths i prefer micro-fiber

heres the before pic

-first begin to tape off the area around your lights to avoid scratching your paint or remove them but i was lazy and kept them on the car
next get your bucket and fill with water cold warm hot whatever you fell comfortable with and throw in the 800 grit sandpaper let it soak for a couple minutes

-then fold the sandpaper in to thirds and get to work. spray down the headlight with water begin wetsanding lightly at an angle / completly then at the opposit angle \ .make sure to keep the surface wet while sanding. this stepp is just to remove the roughness from the hazing and oxidation. and throught the wetsanding process you will notice the chalky mess and the headlights will look the same

-now throw the 1000 grit in the bucket and let it soak for a few. then fold into thirds and wetsand in the same cross pattern and making sure the surface is wet and gets completly and envenly sanded.

-repeat this same process with the 1500, 2000, and 2500 grit sandpaper.

-after that wipe down and wash the wetsanding mess off the car and or lights

-apply your headlight polish and let it set for a minute or 2. then buff off with your wrag cloth or what every i used micro-fiber cloths cause i love them. you may need to do one or more times to get the shine you desire

-now your seen some results, apply your choice of wax to the light and let it dry to a haze the buff off and clean up any excess off the ligths and or car. step back and check em out

heres my after pic

sorry but these were the only pics i took during this process. thanks for lookin
str8venom99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2007, 06:17 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

very nice always fun to do this every spring to keep the car nice both the headlights and tail lights amazing how much differnce clean lights do for a car +rep for you.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...alor/91crx.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoer View Post
i hope everyone in the world dies as the earth concaves within itself, as we all falls inward screaming into the firey pit of hell and i laugh as i go downward, too. other than that, i think i'm fine.
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti
LowBoost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2007, 01:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

I need to do this soon.
riva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2007, 02:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 34 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Nice write-up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddcartes View Post
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2007, 03:08 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 freidaddy  is slowly gaining respectfreidaddy  is slowly gaining respectfreidaddy  is slowly gaining respectfreidaddy  is slowly gaining respectfreidaddy  is slowly gaining respect

very cool write up.

:america: :america: :america: :america:
Deployment coming soon,starting to save money for:
1. S2000 :haha:
2. Project 300+

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_EJ8 View Post
congratz....you just made me punch ANOTHER baby.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by White_EJ8 View Post
thats like someone in a supercharged mustang taking pride in beating a Geo in a drag race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low EG-T View Post
we ALL know n00bs dont search....
freidaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2007, 04:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series lover

very good work, but there are easier ways to go about this lol
oldschooljdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2007, 11:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 Sundown will become famous soon enoughSundown will become famous soon enoughSundown will become famous soon enough

did you use a circular motion when using the sandpaper?

Last edited by Sundown; 05-09-2007 at 11:59 PM.
Sundown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2007, 02:48 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Location: Dallas Texas in my Heart, Southern Georgia is where i stay.
Rep Power: 12 4thGEN is approaching greatness4thGEN is approaching greatness4thGEN is approaching greatness4thGEN is approaching greatness4thGEN is approaching greatness4thGEN is approaching greatness4thGEN is approaching greatness4thGEN is approaching greatness4thGEN is approaching greatness4thGEN is approaching greatness4thGEN is approaching greatness4thGEN is approaching greatness4thGEN is approaching greatness

shit looks decent,
Old 05-10-2007, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 str8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to allstr8venom99 is a name known to all

thanks all,
sundown i wetsanded back and forth at an angle one way then the opposite basciaclly like this /////// across the headlight then back across \\\\\\\\\\
Old 05-11-2007, 03:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 Andrew smells like BoratAndrew smells like BoratAndrew smells like BoratAndrew smells like BoratAndrew smells like BoratAndrew smells like Borat

'Mothers Aluminum & Mag Polish' works great too!
All you do is rub it on with some elbow grease, and wipe it clean. may have to do it a couple times, but no sanding, no spraying, nothing like that. Just rub on, wipe off.
Old 05-11-2007, 05:25 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

^ i never thought of using a metal polish on plastic parts. id be affraid of it fuckin up
Old 05-11-2007, 05:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 9 1990reds13 is approaching greatness1990reds13 is approaching greatness1990reds13 is approaching greatness1990reds13 is approaching greatness1990reds13 is approaching greatness1990reds13 is approaching greatness1990reds13 is approaching greatness1990reds13 is approaching greatness1990reds13 is approaching greatness1990reds13 is approaching greatness1990reds13 is approaching greatness1990reds13 is approaching greatness1990reds13 is approaching greatness1990reds13 is approaching greatness

i used the meguiar's plastX on mine and they look brand new, so sanding or anything either

Dont make me mad, ill punch you right in the armpit
1990reds13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2007, 05:50 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 9 Andrew smells like BoratAndrew smells like BoratAndrew smells like BoratAndrew smells like BoratAndrew smells like BoratAndrew smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8venom99 View Post
^ i never thought of using a metal polish on plastic parts. id be affraid of it fuckin up
No need to worry. It doesnt hurt it at all.
My headlights are crystal clear! (there glass, however)
Old 05-11-2007, 06:43 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 8 slowex98  is accepted as part of the communityslowex98  is accepted as part of the communityslowex98  is accepted as part of the communityslowex98  is accepted as part of the community

awsome going to do this myself
Old 05-11-2007, 09:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
n00b

on glass headlights you can just use steel wool and i works just fine and its cheap.
teamoktane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2007, 03:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
gonzo

Location: Puyallup, Washington.. But So Cal born&Raised and in my Heart
SOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the skySOHCinWA is about to kiss the sky

That and I have used a buffing wheel also ... Works much faster. You just have to watch what you are doing so that you dont melt the plastic.....
SOHCinWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2007, 04:23 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

thanks all
yea i usually use my 7" makita buffer and 3m compound but i wanted to see if the results were better this way
Old 05-11-2007, 04:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
gonzo

When you say 3m compound are you talking a regular polish compound or the 3m Plastic cleaner and 3M plastic polish? I use the latter two with great results!
burnoutboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

^i used the 3m perfect-it compound the same stuff that is used to buff cars
Old 05-14-2007, 06:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
Boost Gets You Laid

Rep Power: 30 torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !torturedsol is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I also saw something on tv about using something at advance auto called the power ball. Goes on the electric drill and it buffs the shit off your lights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification