How To Make Your Own Rear Bumper Diffuser - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2007, 02:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 kmartcivic is learning the way of the Dkmartcivic is learning the way of the D
Default How To Make Your Own Rear Bumper Diffuser

This is a how to guide with pictures on how to make your own Rear Bumper Diffuses. This took me all together about 3 hrs to make and saved me $100.00.

First off I measured how long each piece was going to be. I went with 18" by 4". For material I used something that well, eh resembles a street sign..... I had laying around and been using it to make misc. brackets and such.
I didnt start taking pictures till I had the first one done, so this will start from the second one. First make your design using a level and a sharpie marker. Since I went 18" long and am going to be using a 3" hole saw I put 5 in each one. They are all 3/8" apart from each other and 3/4" on the ends.

Use the holesaw to find the center of each hole:

Pre-Drill a small hole in each center:

Drill the holes out BEFORE you cut the rest out or you'll have one hell of a time not bending the material. Then cut out the rest with a jigsaw.

After they were cut I just took my time and used a file to round off all the edges. Next mark and drill the holes for mounting like so:

I couldnt find my countersinking tool for my drill so I had to do them by hand:

To find the center of the holes on the bumper I took the old pieces that were cut out and used them for a template:

When drilling set the chuck setting down way low. You don't want the holesaw to grab your bumper and tear it to shreds. Im painting them black now to match my car. Ill post pics up when all done up pretty.

05 Honda cbr600rr

80 kawasaki kz650 cafe

80 kz550 (girlfriends bike)

Last edited by kmartcivic; 04-08-2007 at 02:10 PM.
kmartcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2007, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

is this like the new uncle bens thing?
97HATCHDX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 02:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
BOOST my motivation

93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97HATCHDX View Post
is this like the new uncle bens thing?
function over form ...
im seriouos with my pm man let me know
Old 04-08-2007, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 freidaddy  is slowly gaining respectfreidaddy  is slowly gaining respectfreidaddy  is slowly gaining respectfreidaddy  is slowly gaining respectfreidaddy  is slowly gaining respect

nice DIY, but you just ruined a bumper by doing that.

:america: :america: :america: :america:
Deployment coming soon,starting to save money for:
1. S2000 :haha:
2. Project 300+

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_EJ8 View Post
congratz....you just made me punch ANOTHER baby.....
Quote:
thats like someone in a supercharged mustang taking pride in beating a Geo in a drag race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low EG-T View Post
we ALL know n00bs dont search....
freidaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 03:13 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 kmartcivic is learning the way of the Dkmartcivic is learning the way of the D

Ruined Nothing. Im waiting to smack that on something so I can get a stock one again. And how is it ruined? Cause it flows better and I get less drag?

05 Honda cbr600rr

80 kawasaki kz650 cafe

80 kz550 (girlfriends bike)
kmartcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

CrazyConscious is about to kiss the skyCrazyConscious is about to kiss the skyCrazyConscious is about to kiss the skyCrazyConscious is about to kiss the skyCrazyConscious is about to kiss the skyCrazyConscious is about to kiss the skyCrazyConscious is about to kiss the sky

Looks ok right now. I really want to see it with them painted

boosted D16Z6 :shocked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haysoos View Post
Honestly, I would piss on his door handles. Regularly, like his door was my personal bathroom.
CrazyConscious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 05:49 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Speedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top Aussie

good stuff man!

Im making an under plate so I get the swame end result w/o the holes in the bumper lol...

nice job tho.

240,000 miles and counting turbo EH9
nothing like 4drs, ac,moon roof, and 4 whores and running 13psi out or a ching chong t3/t4 setup
the build
http://www.d-series.org/forums/force...-teh-4doh.html
if it survives the winter JdM d15b+Vitara+FJT+25psi=

professional tranny assassin, 2 stock diffs in 4 weeks on street tires and preload was used
Speedjunky01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 11:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

Rep Power: 77 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

underplate = trapped exhaust heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Quote:
Anyplace , Anywhere , Anytime
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2007, 11:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
gonzo

Rep Power: 0 dustin_crxsi is a name known to alldustin_crxsi is a name known to alldustin_crxsi is a name known to alldustin_crxsi is a name known to alldustin_crxsi is a name known to alldustin_crxsi is a name known to alldustin_crxsi is a name known to alldustin_crxsi is a name known to alldustin_crxsi is a name known to alldustin_crxsi is a name known to all

No offence, You shouldent have done it on your car..But the write up is good.

PS...thoes lights dont make you faster either. and For the fact of "less drag" what the f*ck do you have to possibly make you car "quick" enough to do this?

Last edited by dustin_crxsi; 04-08-2007 at 11:41 PM.
dustin_crxsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 06:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 10 4CleanDoors smells like Borat4CleanDoors smells like Borat4CleanDoors smells like Borat4CleanDoors smells like Borat4CleanDoors smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin_crxsi View Post

PS...thoes lights dont make you faster either. and For the fact of "less drag" what the f*ck do you have to possibly make you car "quick" enough to do this?
Stickers and body kit FTW...

At least 42.87692 hp increase.
4CleanDoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 07:13 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series G0D

K2e2vin It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartcivic View Post
Ruined Nothing. Im waiting to smack that on something so I can get a stock one again. And how is it ruined? Cause it flows better and I get less drag?
Having a rear bumper that scoops more air then cutting holes in it to reduce drag is counterproductive. Having a panel that blocks air from being scooped in the first place is probably the best way to reduce any drag there.
1992 Honda Accord LX coupe

http://www.groupon.com/r/uu16193153
K2e2vin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 07:16 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 freidaddy  is slowly gaining respectfreidaddy  is slowly gaining respectfreidaddy  is slowly gaining respectfreidaddy  is slowly gaining respectfreidaddy  is slowly gaining respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin_crxsi View Post
and For the fact of "less drag" what the f*ck do you have to possibly make you car "quick" enough to do this?
See, someone agrees with me. We're not hating your DIY bro, but unless your doing 10 seconds in the 1320 or faster, there's no point.

:america: :america: :america: :america:
Deployment coming soon,starting to save money for:
1. S2000 :haha:
2. Project 300+

Quote:
congratz....you just made me punch ANOTHER baby.....
Quote:
thats like someone in a supercharged mustang taking pride in beating a Geo in a drag race.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low EG-T View Post
we ALL know n00bs dont search....
freidaddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 07:32 AM   #13 (permalink)
Resident Gunsmith & Duracoater

Rep Power: 36 " Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !" Low " is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

i have the same buddy club rear bumper....

i would have spread the diffusers out a bit more.....that way it would look a lil better. but the overall diy thumbs up man...

and for the haters get the fuck off of him we all have our reasons for doing things, there was alot of time and effort that went into this, and at least he has the balls to do something and make a diy in the process.........

and no matter if he has 1000 hp or 100, less drag is less drag..... no matter the power level it HAS a function
" Low " is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 08:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 sohc_vtec 2NR is learning the way of the Dsohc_vtec 2NR is learning the way of the D

nice DIY rep for you...

you should have taped up your bumper before drilling, this keeps the paint from peeling around the edges while drilling out the holes.
sohc_vtec 2NR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 09:14 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 wfocrx will become famous soon enoughwfocrx will become famous soon enoughwfocrx will become famous soon enough

good DIY write up.

for the people saying it is silly on his car if you think about it his "big" rear bumper is probably catching/blocking more air than usual and the fact that he now has the diffuser probably helps his car out alot.

and diffusers do work. It might be considered "ricey" but if you talk people with drag car hondas a diffuser can give them 1-2mph in the 1/4.

95' civic ex (sold)

1997 EJ6 (current)
d16z6 (being built) turbo project
wfocrx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

Rep Power: 77 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

No point in the rear bumper trick you say???????

It's worth .25 seconds in the 1/4 on a 15 second D15B7 HB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Quote:
Anyplace , Anywhere , Anytime
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 12:17 PM   #17 (permalink)
yellow bar for me

Rep Power: 13 lsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow uplsturbohatch10 is about to blow up

better gas milage also when cruising at 90 like i do. i am doing mine a bit defferent tho

active REP WHORE. you rep me i rep you back, on a mission to 3000 rep points
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkinmaster1 View Post
but thats what d-series is all about. cheap affordable performance.
lsturbohatch10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 01:03 PM   #18 (permalink)
Potato salad!

Rep Power: 11 spoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to allspoonfed is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbohatch10 View Post
better gas milage also when cruising at 90 like i do. i am doing mine a bit defferent tho
On a stock bumper? I'd love to see what you have in mind. I do tons of freeway driving around 80mph and so I'm tempted to try this as well.
Old 04-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
d-series smartass

Rep Power: 11 9000_red smells like Borat9000_red smells like Borat9000_red smells like Borat9000_red smells like Borat9000_red smells like Borat9000_red smells like Borat

nice DIY. i'll opt for no back bumper at all. less drag and less weight FTW... j/k
9000_red is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Speedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top AussieSpeedjunky01 is a Top Aussie

bone, no heat to worry about side dump yea baby! lol.

240,000 miles and counting turbo EH9
nothing like 4drs, ac,moon roof, and 4 whores and running 13psi out or a ching chong t3/t4 setup
the build
http://www.d-series.org/forums/force...-teh-4doh.html
if it survives the winter JdM d15b+Vitara+FJT+25psi=

professional tranny assassin, 2 stock diffs in 4 weeks on street tires and preload was used
Speedjunky01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification