How-to: Renew Bare Aluminum and Stainless Steel - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2005, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 spdracer22 smells like Boratspdracer22 smells like Boratspdracer22 smells like Boratspdracer22 smells like Boratspdracer22 smells like Boratspdracer22 smells like Borat
Default How-to: Renew Bare Aluminum and Stainless Steel

After spending long hours searching the internet for ways to remove the corrosion from my header and valve cover, I came across a cleaner called "Barkeeper's Friend". It's a cleanser/polish made specifically for cleaning copper, stainless steel, brass, glass, and various other materials found in restaurants and bars. You can find it at most supermarkets in the cleaners section. I paid $1.79 at Meijer for a 12oz container.

Here's what the container looks like.

To make sure it actually worked, I decided to use an old valve cover that came off of a head I bought for a rebuild. The pictures below show what I was up against. I didn't clean or degrease the cover before using BF.

To clean, I first made a paste by shaking some BF into a solo cup and added a little bit of water. A little bit of water goes a really long way with this stuff, so don't add a lot all at once. I found it best that the consistency of the paste be just a little thinner than toothpaste, that way it can be spread easily, but won't run off the part.

I did roughly 2" x 2" or so sections at a time. I found it best to let the paste sit on the part for 3-5 minutes for the best cleaning. Depending on how bad the part is, the time can be adjusted. For regular cleanings, you can just wet a towel, shake some BF onto it, then wipe down the part with no wait time.

After the cleaner sits on the part for a few minutes, use a slightly damp towel or cotton square (the kind for taking off makeup and nail polish; you can get a package from walmart for less than a dollar, and they're great for cleaning up little parts and work with any kind of cleaner.) and scrub the part . I found it best to use a dremel with a polishing wheel before scrubbing. It helps to work the cleaner into the part to better remove deeper corrosion. Then, follow that with a good rinsing with water, and dry with a towel.

Below is a before/after shot of the valve cover. It still needs more work, but I got it to this point in less than 30min.

And a macro shot...

I also tried in on a stainless steel header with mixed results. I followed the same directions as I described above. I found that the BF didn't have any problem taking off the surface rust and even the bronzish coloring that appears after stainless steel is heated. What it did not do well, though, was take out any deep corosion or spotting. With more work, I'm sure a lot of it will disappear, but it just isn't worth the amount of time you'd have to spend working on it. If you have a good stainless header that won't rust, the BF will make look like you just pulled it from the box, and if used regularly, will even keep a not-so-rustproof header shining as well.

Below are some before/after shots. Notice in the second shot that the overall color is back to it's natural silver metallic, but that there is still staining and deep corrosion present.

Hope this helps everyone keep their rides nice and clean and looking new! I'm sure this same technique can be applied to most unfinished metal parts on the car. (DO NOT USE ON WHEELS OR PAINTED SURFACES!!) Things I can think of are the head, block, exhaust, a/c compressor, ps pump, and tranny...

If you use this technique or have any improvements, adaptations, etc, please be sure to post your results and some pictures!!

Last edited by spdracer22; 10-20-2005 at 06:57 PM.
spdracer22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2005, 08:41 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 11 sql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatnesssql_civic is approaching greatness

Good to know!

I use this stuff to remove rust stains in sinks and stuff.

Thanks.
sql_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2005, 08:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 20 MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!
MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!MyblkVTEC is the fucking MAN!!!!

holy shit that stuff works really well!!!!
MyblkVTEC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2005, 08:52 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 spdracer22 smells like Boratspdracer22 smells like Boratspdracer22 smells like Boratspdracer22 smells like Boratspdracer22 smells like Boratspdracer22 smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyblkVTEC
holy shit that stuff works really well!!!!
That's what I said when I wiped it off the first time! lol. I didn't know how well it would work on aluminum, so I was suprised to see that it took it back to looking like it was just cast...and I sorta like that look the best, so I think I'll finish the rest and post some more pics this weekend...
Old 10-22-2005, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

berettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussieberettagtz117 is a Top Aussie

Looks good! You should also try steel brush disk that you can put on drill or dremel. It will take it right off and make it shine!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx
us WA boys know how to do it

good stuff Kyle

My New ARRRR!
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/60940-went-dark-side-ahahahha.html
My Thread!
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?p=206088#post206088
Vouch Thread's
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8526
My Current rides"
00 Type R PY 1451
89 CRX SI "Project"
K7 GSXR 1k
K8 GSXR 600
K5 GSXR 750 "Track Bike Next year"
05 Tundra "Grocery Getter" LOL
berettagtz117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2005, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I'll probably do that to get some of the deeper stuff. But, if you have an expensive header or a stock, unfinished valve cover, this is a great way to get them looking brand new, without having to bring out the power tools
Old 10-24-2005, 12:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 10 94..civic..ex is learning the way of the D94..civic..ex is learning the way of the D

this is a good thread, i went out and bought some of the shit today and cleaned up my problem..lol
94..civic..ex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2005, 04:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 ReDemoN is learning the way of the DReDemoN is learning the way of the D

The hardest part of doing those valve covers is where it says honda or vtec it is just hard to get into those grooves.
ReDemoN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2005, 08:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 harryshonda is learning the way of the Dharryshonda is learning the way of the D

do you reckon this would get brake dust off my rotas?
harryshonda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2005, 09:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series wise guy

Rep Power: 12 kommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunnakommon_sense is da #1 stunna

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryshonda
elbow grease and a brake pad that dusts less are your only option there...
Old 11-07-2005, 06:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
P-21S takes the stuff right off...it's awesome, but I don't know where to get it in the US. (The stuff I have I had sent from Germany) But also, Simple Green works well...spray it on full strength, but then use a wet cloth to wipe down the wheels...
Old 11-07-2005, 07:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 10 harryshonda is learning the way of the Dharryshonda is learning the way of the D

what company was that from in germany? im in the uk so it's not too far.
Old 11-07-2005, 10:04 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

P21S is the company name... http://www.p21s.com is the US website. I just use the standard wheel cleaner. I got mine from Auto-Teile (I think that's the name) or Walmart or Globus in Germany...I can't remember which (it's been a couple years since I bought any...my dad brought me back my last supply of it) I think you can order it from Amazon.com, too...
Old 11-07-2005, 11:00 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

thanks for that, just did some research on it and bought a bottle of the gel from ebay. PRFY!
Old 11-07-2005, 11:20 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Cool. That stuff is the absolute best wheel cleaner out there...keeps mine looking brand new... Don't have to scrub or anything...I just spray it on, let it sit a minute or two, then wipe down the wheels with a wet towel and spray off... Doesn't leave any residue, water spots, etc...I think you'll be impressed.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

one write up i found said leave it for as long as two hours!!!
Old 11-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Yeah, it depends on how bad they are...I had a CV boot come apart and throw grease all over everything... Just sprayed it on, waited a few minutes, wiped 'em down, and hosed 'em off...clean as new!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:27 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

il do some before and after pics of the two dusted up rotas when the stuff arrives.
Old 11-08-2005, 06:13 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Awesome, that'd be great. Put them in the Product Review section with a quick little writeup.
Old 12-01-2005, 10:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

i need to do this with my valve cover
G U E C O is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification