88-91 civic headlight fix - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2010, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Exclamation 88-91 civic headlight fix

I dont know if anyone wants the info but im going to post it anyway.

I bought a 89 civic hatch about a year and a half ago and the headlights were leaking and looked nasty inside. instead of buying headlights for a couple hundred bucks i decided to fix them my self and spend the money else were on my car.

things you need:
1 can of chrome spray paint front the auto store.
a heat gun
and some kind of sealer. ( i used liquid nails adhesive and sealer)
some 700 grit sand paper
some kinda cleaner like denatered alcohol
soap, water, and a green scotchbright pad.

First things first take the head lights out of the car.
get to a nice clean table were you can work. on the head lights there are 6 metal clips holding the glass to the rest of the light housing. the clips slide over. do not pry on them as the glass will crack or break. i used a screw driver and a hammer to tap the off. once the clips are off you can start to heat up the seam that holds the glass to the housing with the heat gun. take a flat head screw driver and stick it in between the housing and glass. pry very slowly with out alot of force or you can brake the glass. it will start to separate as the seam heats up. move the heat slowly from side to side and down the sides. then the glass should come apart.

now that the glass is apart, take the metal braket out of the inside of the housing. (two phillips head screws) clean all of the old sealer off the light housing and the glass. take it inside to the sink and scrub the crap out of it with the scotchbrite pad. dry the head light out good and take it back to your work area. sand the inside with the sand paper untill all the surfaces are smooth. wipe it down with alcohol and let it dry out for about 5 min. tape it off and paint the inside with chrome paint. let it dry. then install the braket back in the light.

when your putting the head light back together put a small amount of sealent arount the groove that the glass sits in. if you use to much i could see it squeezing out in to the inside of the light. push the glass back in the groove and start putting the clips back on the light. tap them back on the same way you took them off. reinstall and your done. i saved a couple hundred bucks doing this so i thought it was worth every penny and the time i spent. my head lights look brand new and it only took about an hour.

Last edited by timtowdriver; 05-01-2010 at 05:41 PM.
timtowdriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #2 (permalink)
ministry of mayhem!

Rep Power: 50 eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !eddcartes is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

pics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000redCIVICsi View Post
All hail Edd, the Wise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Rican Mob hit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spammer View Post
Evil spirits beautiful naked girl live boobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoXCivic View Post
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #666!
rip emilio gallardo (milo). outstanding father, spouse, friend and member of dso. you will always be missed.
rip, patprimmer. last of the titans.

one thing i've learned from this job is to always keep a pack of cheese for your whine.

my ED6 build thread:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...-ed-build.html

my dyno compe build:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...ike-build.html
eddcartes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2010, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Stroke it!

Staypuff578 Still a JDM Star....Staypuff578 Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddcartes View Post
pics?
X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheasekhatch View Post
almost as badass as my mustache, like a mustache with tits
Instagram- Devious_Larry
Staypuff578 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Does anyone know where we could get new clips from? Most of mine are old and rusted.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
racist-bigot-sexist-homophob

Rep Power: 38 mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !mindless is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88crxhf View Post
Does anyone know where we could get new clips from? Most of mine are old and rusted.
Get the rust off.
Tyranny does not always burst through your front door wearing body armor and brandishing an assault rifle. Sometimes, it waltzes through your living room and sweeps you off your feet. Sometimes, it promises warmth and safety. Sometimes, tyranny invites you out to the party and makes you feel like you belong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
and yes, i is a accedentally bamf status
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweezil View Post
Holly hell man! I couldn't do that much damage to a motor on a three day weekend/bender with a jackhammer and a quest from the Lord.
mindless is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification