DIY Repl. rear main seal, oil pan gasket and both axles - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2010, 08:22 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 37 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Default DIY Repl. rear main seal, oil pan gasket and both axles

well family, I finally had a Chance to piece this stuff together and get to work. Big thanks to homie Onatop for the help

my civic:
98 civic Lx
D16y7 motor
Ex 5spd tranny

replacing:
rear main seal
oil pan gasket
both axles
short throw short shifter
oem shift knob
new motor oil and tranny fluid

tools:
a lot of them
torque wrench
refer to helms manual

time:
teh whole day lol

here's the work and the mess.

I missed a few pictures due to uber greasy hands lol

first is of course safety. e-brake to lock rear wheels and jack up car.
support with 2 jack stands. Remove front wheels and get to work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

do everything you need to do to remove the axles.
again, refer to owners manual.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

drain tranny
remove all the bolts and hold tranny from engine and mounts.
make sure you have a jack to support your engine!
release linkage and pulled tranny out.
you could take off b!tch pin and leave linkage there but I left it on.
you'll see why.

with the tranny out the way, remove clutch and flywheel
that was fun with hand tools :/

Last edited by Pata; 02-21-2010 at 08:29 PM.
Pata is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2010, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 37 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

and here is our famous rear main seal

supporting your engine from another spot,
drain oil
remove Oil Pan

rear main seal.
remove old seal

after it's out, clean surface as much and as smooth as possible
I heard you will regret it if you don't.
we even used fine sand paper.

Last edited by Pata; 02-21-2010 at 08:28 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

using RTV, apply some where the seal will sit

using a piece of wood, tap the seal as straight as possible

here is something stupid to me.
Felpro supplies your rear main seal with these gaskets
they don't fit and they were useless to me.
sorry felpro, I'll use my own gaskets.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

we will go with more RTV on my polished surface

Did the same to the mating surface of the block making sure it's super clean also and bolted main seal on.

I didn't take a pic of the main seal installed cuz,
1. My carnal Onatop is too fast for me :/
2. I was struggling with the damn old sticky oil pan gasket!!!

after about 1 hour (fml) removing the oil pan gasket, again, making sure the surface is clean,
applied RTV and put new oil pan gasket on.

did the same to the mating surface under the block and installed Oil Pan (no pic)

Last edited by Pata; 07-24-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

here's my short shifter

while I went to go grab lunch, Onatop put my flywheel and eye balled aligning clutch for the tanny to go back in. no clutch alignment tool sorry :/

finished Lunch and bolted tranny back on (what a B!tch!!)

here are my New Axles

driver side going in

passenger side going in

Old 02-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

triple checking everything was torqued properly,
tranny, mounts, linkage, axles, spindles, oil pan, header down pipe, sensors, starter, Tires, etc.

we were ready for some fluids. also, bleeded clutch fluid.

and my m4d tyte JDM funnel for the tranny

Dropped civic and the moment of Truth. connecting battery and turning on the car.

Smoke is perfectly normal so don't worry.

Here's how my shorft shifter came out with the OEM shifter.

and here she is

ready for another 100,000 miles

Last edited by Pata; 02-22-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)

Special Thanks to my Buddy Onatop. I bet he's tired as hell! como andas hijo lol

I would have done this in like 3 days by myself lol

Last edited by Pata; 07-24-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:59 AM   #8 (permalink)
BooM TastE IT

Rep Power: 25 Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

HAHAHHAHAHA. that shit sounds like it was 1/2 a day.

it was fun carnal

can't wait to go to the races and see what your baby can do.

that shift knob looks BAD ASS. lol

My For Sale Thread
Onatop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 07:04 AM   #9 (permalink)
I can't read...

Rep Power: 34 myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !myHonda1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

nice write-up!

when i did my rear main on my z6 i didn't even remove the rear main. i just popped the old seal out the put the new one in. it held just fine on 10psi.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddcartes View Post
i love to rape kids...*silence*

let me touch you.
myHonda1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 07:08 AM   #10 (permalink)
BooM TastE IT

Rep Power: 25 Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Onatop is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

sometimes they are easy to pull.

this thing was a bitch.

My For Sale Thread
Old 02-22-2010, 07:25 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myHonda1 View Post
nice write-up!

when i did my rear main on my z6 i didn't even remove the rear main. i just popped the old seal out the put the new one in. it held just fine on 10psi.
thanks!

yea it was pulled out because I wanted the base to be sealed properly also just to make sure that if the seal don't leak no more, then it might leak from the base. Who knows how long that thing has been leaking for. I had a combination of that and the oil pan gasket leak...
Old 02-22-2010, 07:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

Rep Power: 7 spoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatness

great diy man. the only thing that wasnt clear was where you held the engine while removing the oil pan. what did you do just support it with a hoist?

spoonsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonsol View Post
great diy man. the only thing that wasnt clear was where you held the engine while removing the oil pan. what did you do just support it with a hoist?
thanks!

do you see that tranny bolt to the right of the main seal?
(where the header is at)

that bolt with resting on a bigger jack we were using when I removed the oil pan.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
BooM TastE IT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata View Post
thanks!

do you see that tranny bolt to the right of the main seal?
(where the header is at)

that bolt with resting on a bigger jack we were using when I removed the oil pan.

that is called the GETTO Motor supprt bracket. LOL

My For Sale Thread
Old 02-22-2010, 11:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

with no engine hoist, you have to think of something lol
Old 02-23-2010, 08:46 PM   #16 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

Rep Power: 7 spoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatness

whatever works man

spoonsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 08:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....

wooord, does the manual say to use rtv sealant on the inside where the rear main seal goes? i didnt put any on mine, reason im wondering.
95 civic coupe ex. Vitara-hbeam Z6
New Project Built Turbo F2B F22A nonvtec into civic
93 Accord SE 4dr black9stock)
Owner @ Grab-a-Nekbrace ENT like us on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/grabanekbrace
sick1camcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2010, 09:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick1camcivic View Post
wooord, does the manual say to use rtv sealant on the inside where the rear main seal goes? i didnt put any on mine, reason im wondering.
I don't think the manual says that but my buddy put some in there just incase. as long as your seal sits perfectly flat on, you should be good.

Don't quote me on that. Pull out your tranny so you can see
Old 02-23-2010, 09:45 PM   #19 (permalink)

although my clutch was good enough to put back on, I'm having regret feelings that I should have just replaced it with a new one

Onatop,
you were telling me also to might as well get a new one but you seen how good it was. That's why I didn't buy it but damn!
Old 02-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 tommybone1 is learning the way of the Dtommybone1 is learning the way of the D

good write-up. i love using rtv also, seals so nice
tommybone1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/126097-diy-repl-rear-main-seal-oil-pan-gasket-both-axles.html
Posted By For Type Date
Dieter's EK9 Build: 4nR Nationals Prep. Oh wait.. - Page 33 This thread Pingback 01-20-2013 12:11 PM