DIY Build/fix your computer! - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory DIY Forum

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
Default DIY Build/fix your computer!

Welp since ive seen so many computer thread on here with people not knowing how to install this or how to install a new motherboard/processor i decided to capture my little joy ride i had a few days ago lol. Recently i decided to tear everything i had apart from my running computer and install my old motherboard and hardrive. For one it was a 40gig IDE western digital hardrive very slow, very small space. it was completely full i mean, the little icon would pop up telling me i was out of space. And i had a couple spare computers laying around from 5 years ago so i decided to make one super computer and one garage computer.

First off, my personal computer specs as it sits.

amd athlon 2500 barton core. overclocked to 2.1 ghz with stock cooling fan.
nvidia 7600gs video card
netgear wifi pci card
abit raid motherboard
maxtor 160gig sata raid 7200rpm hard drive
512+256+128 sticks of ram, equaling 896 of ram in dual channel mode ddr2.

All of this crap frankenstiened together works well actually, the barton core processor is amazingly quick actually and takes the overclocking quite well. so here is the build what happened was i got the new motherboard in and i was going to use my old hardrive and the 160gig as a spare backup drive to put my music and crap on, well i accidentally shorted out my main hardrive and had nothing so i had to reinstall windows on my new 160gig.

This will get revamped and such im just putting it up before i hit the sack tonight
cervan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009, 11:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 37 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Go to Sleep Dammit! Wait......

Oh man, me too
Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 06:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 dmindles is learning the way of the Ddmindles is learning the way of the D

if i just did what u did to my honda wouldnt i be a ricer and be made fun of j/p lol took a big junk out the case lol
dmindles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 06:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Deal with it...

Rep Power: 34 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Alright whats so DIY about this post? Your PC is a mess and I would NOT recommend anyone follow this guys instructions :P Especially about case modding for increased air flow.
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9832/hatchburn.jpg
Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzar View Post
Alright whats so DIY about this post? Your PC is a mess and I would NOT recommend anyone follow this guys instructions :P Especially about case modding for increased air flow.
I agree, i've build few PCs in my time and this is not a way to go.
r4BBiT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-01-2009, 02:33 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!
cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!cervan is the fucking MAN!!!!

lol well its not really a diy to increase airflow. i was way too tired to finish the rest of it lol. im going to do a basic rundown of the major parts of a computer and how to set one up (btw, this computer was made out of 4 different computers including one shuttle, over 5 years of old junk compiled into this frankenstien lol.)
Old 09-03-2009, 02:07 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 7 89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle

You running ubuntu?

1996 Toyota 4runner SR5=best truck evar!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingciv View Post
ya for real how hard is it to open the lid pull the fuse scratch ur balls for 10 seconds then put the fuse back and close the lid lol
89civichxftw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
Resident Crab

Rep Power: 50 krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !krychek57 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Ugly
|=_/_______\_=|
krychek57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 02:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89civichxftw View Post
You running ubuntu?
I was actually, partitioned the drive for both win xp and ubuntu worked quite well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krychek57 View Post
Ugly
Yeah, you remember that guy off HMT that ported out the brakekleen cans and used them for boost charge piping... yeah thats me
Old 09-03-2009, 02:26 PM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie

a true junk yard man...hey you know what they say one mans trash is another mans treasure

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanInFlipFlops View Post
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 6 Vantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like BoratVantec89 smells like Borat

damn sir...this shit is pretty ghetto!
Vantec89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 02:56 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Anyways on with the DIY... here are some of the parts that are so important for a computer to function.

motherboard
A motherboard is just that, a mother-board that brings it all together. Depending upon how much you want to spend, that prettymuch determines the features and ability's that motherboard will have. A good motherboard is probibally the best starting block to any build other than a good processor.

Processor
The processor is the main brain of the operations. basically bigger the better goes for everything, higher the ghz the faster it can run your computer what is also important is looking at the cache size and if its 32 or 64 bit. for example, i have an amd 2500+ barton core athlon. The barton core is an extra bit of cache in it (i think its a l2 cache) so compared to an athlon of the same speed but without the l2 cache it would be faster.

Video card
Same rules apply, bigger is better but sometimes two lower speed graphics cards are better than one bigger faster one. such as a crossfire setup, where you have two cheap cards hooked up together in tandem that work better together than a single more expensive and faster card. other things to look at in a card is the ddr ram in these cards, they are insane ddr6 and 7 are not uncommon to find in a newer graphics card.

RAM
Ram stands for "Randomly accessed memory". Ram can be accessed extremely fast but the drawback is that ram cannot hold very much storage (but is becoming cheaper and more memory is being added by the day because of technology.) and is becoming even faster. so basically the more ram you have the better in allmost every way. Cheap ram doesnt pay out all the time because when it goes bad sometimes it causes odd problems and other times its blatantly obvious like the computer wont start or doesnt post.

power supplys
now to power all this stuff and have a clean source of power is becoming more and more important because of the more sensitive electronics being used now. instead of turning the voltage up 1 whole volt on a processor in bios, its now down to .01 of a volt sometimes even less. its a good idea to get atleast 100w over what you will ever need that way your not running it at 100% all the time and it makes room for additions like fans and larger video cards that require more power.

Hard drives

There are a multitude of hard drives out there such as the quickly fading IDE drive and the superseding sata drives. if your looking for just reliability a solid hard drive is probibally a western digital or maxtor 500gig drive with serial ata inputs. but the new raptor drives from maxtor that spin at 10k rpm's are simply amazing load times are cut way down and access times are cut drastically as well. raid "arrays" also help speed up access and load times as well. wich can be read about here RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia .

Cases
And finally a case to throw this all into. A good case is worth its weight in gold after awhile of cutting your fingers and cussing out a cheap case because its so crappily made that it falls apart will change your mind on just thinking about the price. A good case will be sturdy, well ventilated and have a good front and rear panel for switches and usb/whatever inputs.

Last edited by cervan; 09-03-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #13 (permalink)
The House that Trevor Built.

Rep Power: 50 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

beofre i got into cars i was into modding computers, overclocking, diy water cooling, case modding, etc... back in the day, before a 1ghz ecu existed. good times

Playin Sega and Slammin Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
Dyno tuning/welding/fabrication/installations
Evolution Auto Performance - 604.460.7969
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Deal with it...

Rep Power: 34 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
1ghz ecu
Did you really just type that? ecu hehe I've been building my own pc's since...89. I had a comador64 with like 64kb of memory. Yeah KILOBYTES lol! I thought it was the shit haha. Do you remember when anything under $1/mb was a steal for ram? Ahh the days of DOS and just turning your pc on. No boot up nadda just turn the thing on haha! I mowed so many yards and washed so many cars to buy that thing. And then when 33k came out omg!! I couldnt believe how fast pictures and websites loaded. My dad would yell at me all the time "turn off the computer and go to bed!" lol playing reversi on that fancy ass Windows 3.0 chatting in the aol rooms :P
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9832/hatchburn.jpg
Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 05:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie

LMAO!!

remember windows 2.0? OMG what a piece, i preferred MS DOS 6...i wanted a commador so BADLY, but couldn't afford one. in fact my first pc was a 386/286 (can't remember which) with a WHOPPING something like 40MB hard drive, o i thought that was the SHIT, lol...as time went on i ended up with a 489 DX4 100mhz computer with windows 95 (wasn't a fan but eh whatever) and MAN was that thing fast for back then...then i went into the military and after basic and tech school ended up with a sony vaio pc with an 866mhz proc pIII, 256mb ram, 8mb video card, damn i'm pathetic, still remember old shit like this LOL (granted not as old as the old ass ibm3600 pc or anything)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanInFlipFlops View Post
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 7 89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle89civichxftw is fly like an eagle

Ive got a Gateway mt6728 on straight ubuntu 9.04, got it for free and i wanted to try ubuntu. Only regret is no serial port or CROME support in wine. Uberdata works though.

Alot of people dont know what a comp consists of, good write up cervan + rep

1996 Toyota 4runner SR5=best truck evar!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepingciv View Post
ya for real how hard is it to open the lid pull the fuse scratch ur balls for 10 seconds then put the fuse back and close the lid lol

Last edited by 89civichxftw; 09-03-2009 at 06:25 PM.
89civichxftw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 06:57 PM   #17 (permalink)
CRX KING

slebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the skyslebidia is about to kiss the sky

People still run Bartons? I retired my old MSI K7D Master L to the shelf last year. Was my desktop then file server for a few years.

DUAL POINT FOR LIFE!!!
slebidia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 dmindles is learning the way of the Ddmindles is learning the way of the D

Quote:
I was actually, partitioned the drive for both win xp and ubuntu worked quite well.

Why partition the drive for ubuntu when u can run it of a iso disc,or if u have enough memory just use virtual drive or get like 2 or 3 hardrives with each os and run which u want during load up but thats just me i like to get geeker
i used to run iso all time helps when ur laptop sux and u have no money or job and your 16 and have nothing better to do,good o days of wardriving were soo much funner back then with the wpa 28bit encryptions were soo easy to crack using backtrack(unix) anyways i agree with everyone that case needs to go its fugly anyways GL rep your way buddy
dmindles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #19 (permalink)
I no longer haz teh pink eye! Iz got STINK EYE

Rep Power: 15 Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!
Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!Bumpysbro is the fucking MAN!!!!

nice write up, and nice mod where the case fan mount seems to be cut with wirecutters or something lol haha jk. rep for you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata View Post
I want your whale penis

I almost had you man....you almost had me? You never had me..You never had your car LOL
Bumpysbro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series G0D

well i wanted the fan to fit in the case and it wouldnt bolt up and i had overheating problems since im overclocked to 2.1 ghz on a 1.8 cpu lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification